Laptops and accessing land lines - feedback please

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 00:14
ThreadID: 13289 Views:1583 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Some travellers have been able to do this in Telecentres (community run non-for-profit groups with public access computers). Telecentres are in a number of rural towns in WA, and I also saw a few in other states (eg Yunta in SA). For those who have used your laptop at a Telecentre, how has it worked? At our Telecentre here in Bridgetown, we have had to say no to this request, as we do not have regular phone sockets (phones are on a Commander system), and computers are linked to a server. A member tried her laptop (which had networking capabilities) plugging it direct into the Telecentre’s network, and was able to do her banking etc. as she would have at home, but I understand without the network card and setup, it wouldn’t have worked this way, as you would only be able to access the Telecentre’s settings. As travelling with laptops is increasing, and mobile calls can be expensive, I would be very interested to hear of other’s experiences. When we finally get away for a big trip, I would like to get a laptop. If this is a service in demand, our Telecentre will look at providing it (if cost effective). Meanwhile, all travellers are welcome to come in and access the internet through our computers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Froilan - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 09:30

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 09:30
hello motherhen

an option you can consider is a network card that connects to the usb port of the notebook. most notebooks these days have usb ports so this service can be easy to provide. all the settings are in the network card, so it does not screw up the settings of the notebook. once the network card is disconnected, it does not leave a trace in the notebook itself. obviously, it works on computer operating systems that support usb's like winxp, win 2000, winme/98, mac, etc. go to
www. netgear.com and you can find all the options you can consider.

you can also consider providing wireless connections. while travelling in europe, most hotels provided this service, supplying the wireles card even, if you do not have one built-in to your notebook. they charged either by the hour or per day.

hope this helps.
AnswerID: 60858

Reply By: Magnus 2 - Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 16:52

Sunday, May 30, 2004 at 16:52
Can't add anything about your telecenter. But can about mobiles.

Last year we toured from Brisbane to Geraldton and back. Used my CDMA mobile from Nokia with built in modem and internet access to dial my ISP every night and download emails and do any banking etc we needed.

With the deals available from Telstra nearly all calls were free in that they were covered by the monthly plan. ( I know nothing is free. )

The only place we had no coverage was across the Nullarbor. Internet Cafe are few and far between we found.

So, for your own trip suggest you look at using a mobile. You can then do emails at liesure and in your own tent/camper/van etc and take time composing. I sent an average of three pics with every email so people could see where we were.

Also suggest CDMA as Digital does just not cut it outside the main streets of capital cities.

Cheers

Magnus

AnswerID: 60879

Sponsored Links