Exploroz Traveller - Map storage issue

Submitted: Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 14:35
ThreadID: 132948 Views:3454 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Tried to install the ExplorOz Traveller, but ran out of storage. It wasnt until I got 3/4 of the way through downloading maps that I realised it was installing the maps on the internal drive on my Android tablet.
I was hoping it would give me the option, but it appears not. I now have next to nothing left on my internal drive, while my micro SD card has heaps of space.
If I cant store maps on my SD card, then it looks like I am going back to OziExplorer which allows me store maps where I choose.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 20:44

Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 20:44
Yes Zebra....I had the same issue.

Unfortunately David wasn't not very forthright on this issue in the sales spiel to sell the app. I did not see his statement any where prior to downloading that it used the internal storage.

Yes if you look at the FAQ it states that internal storage is used.....but not stated in the newsletter in which it was announced/launched

I was able to shift a lot of data from internal to my SD card and so was able to use it.

Interesting to note that they state they are having issues getting the app to read the maps if stored on the SD card.....and yet I shifted the OziExplorer maps and Marine Navionic maps to my SD card ( to get storage room internally ) and they still work ok now they are reading from the SD card
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 602231

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 20:59

Friday, Jul 08, 2016 at 20:59
How did you move it to your SD card? I cannot see the maps stored on the internal drive.
FollowupID: 871830

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 17:56

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 17:56
Bungarra , I do need to clarify in this post for the benefit of others that we do indeed clearly state in the app store descriptions that sufficient internal device storage is required - we most certainly have no reason to hide this and never felt it would be a problem for most people. I'm sorry if you missed this.

We suggest people that have devices with external SD drives and limited internal storage to move other apps and files currently on their internal drive to the SD card - as you did.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 871893

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 20:45

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 20:45
Hi Michele

No, I did not mean to imply that info was deliberatley hidden. I did not see it on the newsletter that first promoted the apps launch. I believe it would have been helpful to have it there (or did I miss it?)

I took the adv at face value and downloaded it without bothering to read any further details in the app store.

It was only after the download that I found the storage issue was addressed in the FAQ. Others may have done the same perhaps.

Sorry if my words implied anything untoward or inferred deliberate intent....certainly not intentional on my part. Often when words are read by others they can possibly take a slant either way without being immediately obvious to the author at the time of writing.

I have every confidence that David will sort the storage issue out in time as other app developers have done so. Its a good app and for a first up version has/is performing well....and that speaks volumes for itself.

It is an area that does need priority in my opinion as my tablet is 32 storage (as are most others...and there arent too many around with more than that)...and to have a significant amount of that internal storage taken up by the maps does as no doubt you appreciate significantly limits the Tablets other uses.

Cheers ?
Graeme

VKS 1341

FollowupID: 871901

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 13:56

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 13:56
Michelle et all.

Not sure if this helps but

http://www.androidcentral.com/lollipop-brings-changes-way-your-sd-card-works-kind-youll
FollowupID: 871911

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 14:54

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 14:54
Thanks for your reply Graeme. All good and of course we acknowledge that it would be preferable to be able to offer users the option to put the maps on SD card but in the meantime,

I must highlight that we are only talking about a total of 5.1GB for the whole 144K Premium Offline map pack. That is a long way from using a" significant portion" of a 32GB device as per your example.

In fact, I have no trouble having the app and the Premium Offline maps on my 16GB phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) which cannot use a SD card. And this phone is my life - I have everything on it but I am tidy, so I move my photos/videos regularly to my Dropbox account and I prefer to use Spotify (free account) for music so only keep a small amount of music locally on my device. Of course everyone uses devices differently but I go nowhere near my 16GB.

I should also highlight that not everyone will need to use the whole pack, as they can choose just to download 1 or 2 of the maps at a time. Once you are registered for the maps you don't have to keep them on your device - you only download to your local device when you need it. So if space is a premium you can remove a map to clear space to download the next area when needed.

So to be clear, the SD external storage is not a mandatory requirement by all Android users and is not a limitation of the app but we will do our best to look at adding this feature as soon as we can to make it even more user-friendly.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871913

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 08:53

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 08:53
Hi

As stated I shifted the Oziexplorer and Navionic maps to the SD card so as to make room for the traveller maps on the internal drive.

Oziexplorer and Navionics have no trouble reading from the SD card. So now the traveller map has room for its data on the internal storage.

I dont see how its that difficult for David to have his app the same...obviously a programming and stability issue but I guess he has run into some issue and in time will perhaps solve it.

Cheers
VKS 1341

AnswerID: 602237

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:20

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:20
Yes, I have OziExplorer on my Tablet. And yes, I have all my maps on the SD card. Just changing the settings for Ozi to access to the SD card was so easy.
However, this is not currently an option with the ExplorOz Traveller app. Hopefully David adds it soon, as I cannot run the app with no memory left on my internal drive. And running it online in the bush is useless unless you are near a mobile cell. however most of our travels are away from mobile coverage.
FollowupID: 871839

Reply By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:07

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:07
Could you do all the downloading on a desktop or laptop either dorectly to a SD card in the PC or to the PC's hard diska dn then transfer it to the SD card. Move the card to the mobile device. Then run the program from the card and leave the internal memory alone.

Just an idea. Surely ExplorOz Traveller would then treat the SD card as the default drive.

Phil
AnswerID: 602239

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:15

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:15
David tells me that saving maps to the SD card is not an option at the moment. He is working on it.
My biggest problem at the moment is deleting the installed maps so I can get some apace back on my internal drive. At the moment, there doesn't appear to be any solution to this apart from uninstalling the app.
FollowupID: 871838

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:33

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:33
Even if you have everything including the app and all maps and data files actually on the card?
FollowupID: 871840

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:22

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 09:22
Go to ExplorOz menu/Traveller/FAQ. The explanation of storage issues is the first item.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 602240

Reply By: Zebra400 - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 10:59

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 10:59
Yes, I am aware of this. Pity it is not mentioned on the front page when purchasing the app.
Hey, I finally found the Data Manager. This was not easy to find. Once you know where it is, it is fine. I am deleting the 144K packs as I dont have enough space on my internal drive.
I have now deleted the maps and still find the ExplorOz Traveller app is using over 4GB of my internal card. This is huge. Nothing else on my tablet uses this amount of space.
I am now thinking that this app is way too big for my tablet, even without using offline maps.
A rethink is needed I think.
AnswerID: 602244

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 18:04

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 18:04
Sorry Zebra but the requirements for internal storage is actually mentioned in the store description before purchasing - we definitely have nothing to hide and try to make this as clear as possible.

It's a bit unfair to post comments that criticise the app when infact the info is all there but it hasn't been read. For example, you must have also skipped the app Introduction/Walk Through - which takes you to the Data Manager and explains it - the Help files also show you where to find it.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871895

Reply By: Zebra400 - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 14:23

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 14:23
Hi Michelle. David has been communicating with my via email to help me resolve the issues I am facing with the App. David has been fantastic, as he sorted out my first issue very quickly over the weekend of not being able to delete the downloaded maps from my tablet. He gave me a solution which assisted me to clear the memory of the downloaded maps. I can see David has put a lot of hard work into creating this App.

Documenting SW always has its issues. I agree with you that I missed reading the info about data storage. Reading a lot of text can be quite daunting, so yes, I did overlook the section about the premium maps been also stored in internal memory.

The paragraph about downloading data is quite long, so I absorbed the info about the App and general maps being on internal memory, but missed the next bit about the Premium Maps also being stored in internal memory.

As I mentioned to David, I have no other Apps that require so much storage of data in memory, so I guess I was assuming your App was not so memory intensive.

Your App is by far the biggest I have ever encountered. The next closest is Metroview (approx 300MB). However, Metroview allows me to store their data on the external SD card.

As I pointed out to David, I am currently using other Apps for mapping i.e. OziExplorer, Hema Explorer & Metroview on my tablet. As an avid Map user, I assist many of our club members with training with these Apps, so I was interested in looking at your App, as I am sure that I will be asked about it by club members soon.

From what I have seen so far, it is very impressive with its current functionality.
For my own use, it is however very limiting until David can resolve the storage of maps on an external drive. I know he is working on this (which is good). Hopefully he finds a solution soon.

BTW, I also use EOTrackMe for my SPOT locations. I also use Spotwalla. I hope you don't see this comment as negative, but I do find the operation of EOTrackMe to be a little tricky when compared with Spotwalla.

I find Spotwalla very easy to set up. EOTrackMe's biggest plus (and this is a big plus) is that it uses the EO Topo maps, which are far superior to Spotwalla's Google maps, so on our website. I have embedded both Spotwalla & EOTrackME on our website for our friends & club members to follow our outback travels.

I have other friends who travel outback extensively. They also use both Spotwalla & EOTrackMe. They have also indicated that setting up Spotwalla is much easier than EOTrackMe, but they thoroughly enjoy the EO Topo maps facility of your App for outback travel.

AnswerID: 602332

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 14:58

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 at 14:58
HI Zebra, yes EOTrackMe was getting a bit of a pain due to the requirement of using other third-party apps but now that you can just flick a switch in the Traveller App to get the tracking, there is no need to have the separate EOTrackMe app anymore. The app now does it all - and is much easier! We are much happier with it, so hope you and your fellow club members will find same.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 871914

Sponsored Links