maytown

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 14:25
ThreadID: 132960 Views:3072 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
am coming from chillagoe,what is a good way to go to maytown and palmerville, my hema book says no access from near wrotham park,open for suggestions, eg from palmer river roadhouse,thanks for future answers barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 16:41

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 16:41
You can try the Palmerville track to Palmerville station, was closed off 2 years ago (locked gates), try ringing npws and see if it was open, they were minding it as the Stubers were awaiting trial for the murder of a prospector, otherwise you can head towards Palmerville Roadhouse and about 15klms before take the Whites Creek Road and come in the southern end. Its fantastic in there, we camped on Dogleg Creek for a couple of days before taking the Old Coach Road to Laura.
AnswerID: 602252

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 18:04

Saturday, Jul 09, 2016 at 18:04
Barry,
From the Cairns Post -- 25-7-2015
Cape York graziers Stephen Struber and Dianne Wilson-Struber have been found guilty of murdering miner Bruce Schuler on their vast Palmerville Station, after finding him fossicking up a dry gully on their property three years ago.

The body was never found. They were real nutters, there is a fair bit of information on their behaviour on exoz.

I drove the Laura to Maytown Coach Road and it would be one of the best drives, and if you have the time, I thoroughly recommend it. It is slow and you will need a good gps. It really makes you appreciate how good the coach drivers were.

Cheers,
Bill
FollowupID: 871847

Reply By: Member - BenKFNQ - Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 22:31

Sunday, Jul 10, 2016 at 22:31
Hi Barry,

As stated, best bet from Chillagoe is to head back to Mareeba and up to the Maytown turnoff just short of the Palmer River Road house, just after Maitland Downs Station. There is a white sign post on the left.

Follow the road in and you can't go wrong. You are there when you cross a big wide sandy/rocky river, which is the Palmer.

Cross over and camp either to the left or right if you are stopping there. We like to camp on the North Palmer as there are usually less people, but not always.

From there it is a maze of tracks around the place, but they basically all loop back eventually. A GPS or Hema or similar is quite handy.

When you take off to do the Mail Track, just after crossing the North Palmer you can go either left or right. If you are towing, don't go left. If you aren't ready for a very steep slippery incline, don't go left. My patrol with a front locker made it fine, but mate in a stock Landy needed winching up it. Either way, they both join up and continue on the main track.

There is one tricky jump-up much later on, and it is off on a left hand diversionary track. It is a 90 degree turn left and I think it was signed to some ruins of an old hotel. The track goes through and up the hand-cut escarpment track and is very picturesque. Can be slippery on a couple of steep bits just before you hit the jump up. Be prepared to winch up it if need be and if in a convoy, it was easy to gently snatch the next vehicle up once front tyres are up.

Enjoy! It is a fantastic drive.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 602290

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 15:50

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 15:50
Ben,
It was the Folder Hotel Ruins. I did the Laura-Maytown Coach road on my own with the 80 series and no problems, it would be a different ballgame if wet. I just rechecked my photos - what a great drive, unbelievably rocky, and you can get to such an angle in some places where it is difficult to open a door.
I would definitely put it in my top 3.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 871885

Follow Up By: Member - BenKFNQ - Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 16:06

Monday, Jul 11, 2016 at 16:06
That's it, thanks.

The jump up can get 'fixed' by some, with logs and rocks on occasion, which makes it quite passable.

When we went through last it was quite easy, but the previous time it was a winch up job.

The hand cut section is worth stopping at and having a good wander around, appreciate how it was made, and imagine the efforts of the drovers bringing big loads through there with bullock teams.

It is right up there for a great drive, particularly if you are not in a rush.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 871886

Sponsored Links