People enjoying our country

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 18:19
ThreadID: 133005 Views:3198 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Just did a run down to Brissy today and the first north bound caravan I encounter was at Camilla. Well being a little bored the next thing to do was count north bound vans. Stopped counting at Maryborough as I had well and truly run out of fingers and toes.

Total for the 630 kilometre count was, 310 vans which makes it about 1 van every 2 kilometres.

Still many coming north and enjoying our great country side.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 19:03

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 19:03
I'm one of those southerners who recently travelled to NW Qld and return. Whilst I'm sure there are no where as many caravans on the Landsborough as the Bruce Highway, one statistic which astounded me was that one in two northbound vehicles were caravans or motor homes (unless you got to gravel roads).
Western Qld towns would be dead without the Grey Nomad migration.

Mark
AnswerID: 602418

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 12:23

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 12:23
Dead without Grey nomad migration ?? Dream on , let me give you an example of what some of these terrorists get up to … recently an organised terrorist group called 'Blaze Aid' has been out our way in the centre of QLD , lots of good work done ? Painting buildings / carpentry / fencing / roof repair etc etc …. all very good and well ….. but guess what ? The LOCAL painter has not had 1 job for the last 3 months and no bookings in-between now and the new year , the LOCAL fencing contractor has had to lay off 3 staff as even minor jobs have now all been done for 'free' , the local carpenter is in the same position ,small jobs that kept food on his family's table have all been done for 'free' …..
FollowupID: 872076

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 19:13

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 19:13
Alloy
Blaze aid and the Grey Nomads are different groups.
Your beef with Blaze Aid maybe justified but is not relevant to Grey nomads and their benefits to Landsborough Highway towns and their proportion of highway traffic
I'm not a grey nomad and I did work on a Barcaldine property 35 years ago, so I do have something to compare it to.
Mark
FollowupID: 872085

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 08:41

Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 08:41
Get real , Blaze Aid is made up of what ? Ohh no , a slightly formalised group of Grey nomads who although they have 'good' intentions actually 'take' work away from locals at this time of drought , just the same as the 'good' intentions of various other organisations sending 'care' packages of groceries [toothpaste -tin fruit etc.] to small drought affected communities [Barcaldine - Alpha -Jerico - Muttaburra ] while the local shops get zero turnover ...
FollowupID: 872098

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 20:11

Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 20:11
I am in camping ground in section for tents .But now have brand new Hilux with massive caravan next to me .They are sipping on their wine with lovely glasses.Why would a retired person need to work really or volunteer when they practically have a home a way from home ! Maybe if they were friendly and offered me a nice cool drink and had a chat I might understand their motives, apart from escaping the cold weather! I know if I retire I just want to relax and enjoy traveling and meeting new people ,no more working ...
FollowupID: 872116

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 23:06

Thursday, Jul 14, 2016 at 23:06
Hope theres still places for real campers with tents.I stayed in one Qld caravan park and was squashed in so tight on a piece of dirt ,only thing that made it ok was my tent was very small !
AnswerID: 602422

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 08:57

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 08:57
Currently staying in a house we have rented in a CQ coastal town Lazylux...van parks are full in town but a nearby National Park with cracking water views had very few people at all in it. If you want to do "real camping", then there's still plenty of room at "real camping" locations for you. Was the same at another coastal town area we were in 4 nights ago, plenty of room in the National Park there which also had water front camping in it.
FollowupID: 872015

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 22:45

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 22:45
Hi Rumpig any clues to names of National Parks.I was at one near Airlie Beach on 2007 and was empty .Until a bus load if Female students rocked up and Ferris Bueller told me they reserved the whole park.I moved out upto a cut out nextvto beach slept in back of 4wd .I would have thought even more busy east coast .We are 8n Central Aus.. thousands of caravans etc..Going over to Qld after Darwin so hope to visit most NP there! Cheers mate
FollowupID: 872091

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 10:31

Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 10:31
The beauty of both the parks i visited was you can't take caravans in there and taking a camper trailer into one would test someones sand driving capabilties fairly well, hence why they were near empty (though school holiday periods would see both busy i assume). Byfield National Park North of Yeppoon was one, there's a very steep long sand hill you need to get up as you enter into the park (it just keeps going up and up and gets very chewed up), this keeps all caravans out (no chance of taking one in there unless it was a small cross over type, but it's weight woud likely end up getting you bogged, and recovery on that hill would be interesting to say the least), and if towing a camper trailer you'd want it to be fairly light and you be running about 14 psi max tyre pressures to be any chance at all of getting up that hill....it's not the park you'd go to if you are a novice sand driver IMHO. I saw several people towing camper trailers bogged at the very bottom of that hill as we entered and left the park that day....one guy i saw later on ended up leaving his trailer somewhere to explore the park, the other guy i helped recover on the way out decided to go camp elsewhere instead. I sent him to Stoney Creek which is not far away, and a lovely spot. If you really know what you are doing you can get a camper trailer in there, but anyone that thinks 20psi is a low tyre pressure is not much of a chance of getting a trailer up that hill IMHO. I was running 20psi rear and 18 psi fronts running the rear locker in my vehicle not towing, and had plenty of wheel spin happening on the climb up, i started losing momentum about 3/4 of the way to the top. In hindsight i was in 2nd gear high range and had to go back to 1st gear to keep climbing that hill, i should have been in lowrange to do it easier i reckon and probably slightly lower tyre pressures....but having never been to that park before i had no idea just how long and steep that sand hill actually was.
Be aware that if you head for the drive down to 5 Rocks Beach you'll cop some good bush pin striping on your vehicle, the track is closed in height and width wise in places, and the sand on that track back up was harder to negotiate then the big sand hill you drive up to get into the park. I lowered my tyres to 14 psi and engaged the rear locker to to be sure i got back up it being we were travelling solo (i wasn't towing and no way would recommend taking a trailer down to that beach, 9 Mile Beach is fine if you get up the first hill though, just head for Stockyard Point beach entry as it's boarded).
The thing about this park is there is zero warning about the big sand hill you are about to encounter on entering the park until you hit it, and by then if you haven't deflated your tyres you'll likely get bogged..... i'm sure it would catch many a unexpected traveller out each year. As soon as you reach sand on the track instead of the rock / gravel lead up track, it's about then would be a good time to deflate your tyres.
The other park we visited i'd prefer to keep that location to myself, i plan on heading back there with my camper trailer in the future, and don't want to tip everyone off about it.....lol.
FollowupID: 872102

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 07:16

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 07:16
certainly gives it a good focus when you put numbers to it like that.
Who'd be a road train driver trying to get past them all.
AnswerID: 602427

Follow Up By: Phil1234 - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:24

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:24
Firstly we gave up on camping in QLD. Twice we booked and both time someone else was in our spot. Not being fully fit and not wanting any confrontation we moved on and slept in the car. Not going to trust them again. There's nothing worse than getting there and not even being able to put up a tent, boil the billy and have dinner. Haven't been back since then.

Every time we have been to the deserts we have never been gazumped nor have we been crowded out. Looking forward to our next trip out there.

Off to Fraser soon and not camping there either. Doing the resort thing and booked weeks ago.

Looks like we will have to drive up through the mountains if we want to get there this year. Too many slow moving and hard to overtake vehicles for our liking.

FollowupID: 872016

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:49

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 09:49
Hi Phil
Part of that problem is the stupid QLD parks website booking system which is very buggy.

There's a couple of the Cape York parks where the first booking takes out the entire campground with just the one booking. I've had to get the Parks dept to sort out bookings after the system allocated us to various unintended sites plus had others booked on top of us.

The Rangers are usually pretty good at policing it on the ground but I agree with your comments.
FollowupID: 872019

Follow Up By: Phil1234 - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:06

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:06
Didn't see a ranger at either place mate. And what are they going to do with a bunch of drunks and a half empty keg. Book them. Wow. We still wouldn't get the spot.

Easier not putting your self in the situation. Go to another state.

FollowupID: 872021

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:32

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:32
So true, Malcolm!

Was coming east on Barkly H'way, maybe 12 months ago, and near Avon Downs passed about 6 vehicles, mostly towing campers/small 'vans, and all only 100M or so apart from each other. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but a km or so behind them was a Shaw's triple that would soon round them up.

Got on UHF and mentioned how difficult it would be for the triple to pass theim all, and then one of their party suggested they all spread out a bit.

But have been caught too, where it would be totally unsafe to pass one of these convoys, and one just has to reduce speed and "suck it up" and hope they soon stop for smoko/lunch or a Kodak.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 872024

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:49

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:49
A few weeks back, we returned from a trip thru Qld and down to Alice Springs, then home to Cooma NSW. We were heading against the traffic and the sheer number of caravans (most of them as big as our house) heading North was staggering. Most of teh vans seems to be coming in threes, making it difficult for other traffic to pass them. What goes up must come down, so I guess that in a few months they will all be coming South. I would hate to be a truckie because a lot of them were pottering along at about 90 km/h. I wasn't doing much more myself, but kept checking the mirrors and when sometihng came up behind, I would signal when safe for them to overtake me.

We live in Cooma, and the ski traffic is similar, only more intense, particularly in the early morning and evening after skiing all day. One night about 15 years ago, we were coming back from Canberra one evening. I counted 1136 oncoming cars in a 80 km stretch of road. That was better than one car per second. The number of fog lights in use was startling - they dazzle like hell. There is a saying in Cooma - if you want to get to the other side of the main street, do so before the June long weekend, or wait until after the October long weekend.
AnswerID: 602440

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:25

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:25
Coming down the Stuart from Katherine to Alice a couple of weeks back, we estimated that about 7 out of 10 vehicles was some kind of RV or 4WD used as one. Of course it was school hols for a couple or more states.
AnswerID: 602443

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 10:07

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 10:07
I'm currently in Broome, and the place is just a madhouse of thousands of 4WD's, caravans, campers, and people on the move.

The caravan parks and campsites, and nearly all accommodation, is overflowing - no sign of any tough economic times here.

Saw the camper to beat them all in bragging rights a few days ago, outside Bunnings.
A young couple from Denmark with a huge 4x4 MAN truck camper - must have been $500,000 worth, at least.

They're set to tackle anything, anywhere in the world - except for normal-size parking spots, of course!

I don't know how they go, changing flat tyres! - those wheels/tyres are MASSIVE - I think they are 14.00 x 20 - the same size as the front wheels of a 10 tonne tractor crane!

God only knows how they get that spare up on the roof! It must be about 3M above the ground!?

I suppose they have a fold-up Hiab behind the cab, or something similar? - they certainly looked like they had everything else, including the kitchen sink!

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2lkuop3.jpg

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 602474

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 23:08

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 23:08
On Stuart Hwy nearly every rest stop is full of massive caravans.Devils Marbles was like shopping centre parking lot and funny between the millions of dollars worth of vehicles and caravans was a swag Looked intimadating too me like being in city of skyscrapers.Also many Ford F250 towing houses overtaking me at speed. I think I was lucky to see Australia when it was novelty too see an offroad caravan, camper trailer etc.I saw most NP's and hardly a soul there ..Best NP I have seen is Cobourg Peninsula now have to book 6 weeks in advance a cool $230 for for 1 to 7days stay.Was goin to Broome and then up Gibb River rd but by reports very busy and Kulumburu camping $40 a night! Cheers

FollowupID: 872092

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 20:29

Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 20:29
I was up there a few weeks ago Ron and saw that MAN truck as well
Pretty impressive setup but would be no good for the tighter tracks like Cape York
FollowupID: 872117

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 18:33

Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 18:33
Oh yes indeed turtle ( slow and carrying the home on their backs) migration season is in full swing ..... triggered by the onset of the cold weather in the south

One time between Bowen and Proserpine we counted 57 caravans & the like commin' the other way with tiger plates on em in a row.

Give you a tip ....... If ya want to kill a few meters this time of year get up early ...... be on the road at 5 am at the latest and you will miss most of it.
Roll out of any major center at 5 am and the majority of the traffic will be 2 or 3 hours behind you all day

Above all try and get past places like the Whitsunday turnoff before 9:30 or well and truly after...... sometimes they pour out of there just after their 10am smoko.

cheers
AnswerID: 602671

Sponsored Links