bad fuel

Submitted: Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 19:23
ThreadID: 133016 Views:4912 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Got a tank of bad fuel yesterday at mt barnett
Roadhouse bad enough in the old td42 limping to kununara thank god it wasn.t a late model common rail who knows what would have been
Mechpete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top End Az - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 20:00

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 20:00
Was on the GRR yesterday and saw a Puma truck drive out of El Questo. Not sure if same delivery vehicle as Mt Barnett, but maybe so being only a few hundred clicks from ELQ but sorry to hear your news. I had full tanks and jerrys from Kununurra so can't testify.
AnswerID: 602457

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 20:29

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 20:29
Hi Pete

Sorry to hear that and hope things work out ok

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 602459

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 20:47

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 20:47
Did it have water in it, or full of junk or are you unfairly flaming a good business?
AnswerID: 602461

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 09:26

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 09:26
During our lap of the block in 2014 we filled up the long range tank at Mt Barnett.

Got a few k's down the road, running on that tank and couldn't get more than 2000 RPM out of the old low tech 1HD-FT. Swapped the fuel filters (2, one a water separator, the other the standard Toyota). Also changed tanks to run on the main.
When we got back to Derby to pick up the van I had a mechanic drop the fuel out of the long range tank, fit 2 more new filters and bought 2 more to replace the spares I always carry.
He said there was very little water in the tank but lots of crap.

Did it all come from the last fill or an accumulation over time and got stirred up by the corrugations?? No idea.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 872065

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 19:03

Monday, Jul 18, 2016 at 19:03
Serviced the 200 today after our 8 weeks Kimberley trip - drained the prefilter and it was pristine - no water, no muck and we took on 100 litres at Mt Barnett 3 weeks ago. They were busy - must of been filling more than a hundred vehicles a day.
Hence my query.

Also my vehicle has 2 fuel sensors - one that detects water and another that alarms when the filter becomes blocked. Common rail is OK - I'd guess 3/4 of the vehicles travelling out there were common rail.
FollowupID: 872140

Reply By: eaglefree - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 21:48

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 21:48
" or are you unfairly blaming a good business"?
The is an important question. Sorry for your issues mechpete.
See innocence before proven guilt was an important factor in our justice system. It still might be but social media in particular has become a way of bypassing this crutial rule in civilised society.
Now its name and shame. Eg. Owner of new expensive or cheap caravan parked in front yard comes home to find it gone. Ring police. While waiting rolls the CCTV camera to view male in flouro vest knocked on the door early in the afternoon. No one home. Male must have then stolen his van.
Owner takes snap shot of suspect puts on Facebook. Anyone know this theif?
Police interview then leaves. Owner gets messages about the theif. He's known all over as the local telco man. He was responding to owners wife reporting a faulty phone line.
Telco worker messages owner "a law suit is headed your way Mr van owner."
Police knock on door. Asks owner if he put the handbrake on after he parked it? "Why" he asked
"Because strong winds must have rocked it and it took off down the hill through the fence and into the back of that house down there.
" oh no ..cried the owner...who lives there"? "Think some poor guy that is a telco....."
AnswerID: 602463

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 22:49

Friday, Jul 15, 2016 at 22:49
yes, well you don't have to be in the outback to cop a load of water in your fuel.

I got a dose in Forbes a few weeks back, luckily the Jeep has a decent filtration system and there was no damage to the Common Rail pump or injectors. According to the Diesel Mechanic who first checked it out the fuel was massively contaminated and the water and fuel had formed an emulsion, it took ages for the water to settle out. Anyhow the insurance company handled it all with no excess so they must be confident they can recover it all from the dealer or fuel company. There were at least 10 other vehicles with up to $15000 worth of damage to at least one before they shut down the pumps.
AnswerID: 602465

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 09:37

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 09:37
Just a thought If the truck seen in the area was the one that filled the tank it could have stirred up the sediment and you got the result.
When driving buses we got the bulk diesel tank filled at 9 am on a friday and we were forbidden from filling anything till lunchtime for that very reason.
AnswerID: 602471

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:07

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:07
Funny youl say that because there was a road train unloading in behind the servo in plain sight an the there was a bulk fuel tank on it coincidental ???
Mechpete
FollowupID: 872072

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:38

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:38
If I see a tanker in a servo, I will not stop but find another servo.

Bit hard when out in the sticks :=))

FollowupID: 872074

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 09:44

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 09:44
Not saying it can't happen, but thousands of folk fill up there with no problem.

FWIW I used pretty much nothing but premium diesel from urban servos in the wagon's first 10K and the filter was shot through with diesel bug.
AnswerID: 602472

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:47

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:47
We carry a Mr Funnel Fuel Filter and put our diesel through it when buying in outlying places. We even use it when filling from our own jerry cans. Touch wood, no problems yet. We copped bad fuel years ago in our 80 series; once is more then enough.
Di
AnswerID: 602476

Follow Up By: Notso - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 13:35

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 13:35
After my experience noted above I too have got a Mr Funnel! Gives me a slight feeling of security!
FollowupID: 872078

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 17:08

Saturday, Jul 16, 2016 at 17:08
I copped a tank of bad Diesel fuel years ago, a tanker was just leaving as i pulled up. Its more to do with the ground tank than the tanker, if the tanks are very low, they get stirred up, if the ground tank is say half full, filling up straight away should be Ok. So normally it is the servos fault, either poorly maintained tanks and or low tanks before refilling. A servo owner once told me he used a dispersant in his tanks to keep them clean. So you can look at it two ways, either everyone is copping a small amount of crap in each tank from there or he has very clean tanks.. BP paid for the tank and line clean, it cost me nothing other than the inconvenience! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 602479

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 20:43

Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 20:43
Hey Mechpete.I find it shocking in this day and age in Australia .Bad as telecommunications they still can not get it together.NBN a joke ! In Thailand you can get internet at good speeds out on remote villages.Also we traveled 6000kms in Thailand in Diesel Hilux filling up Diesel from remote fuel stations..Even from Whiskey bottles in some way out places.Never a problem with fuel.Something not right here in Australia..Lots of people traveling these days it should not be happening .I am sorry to here that it happened to you.We 4wdrivers deserve better!
AnswerID: 602503

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 21:22

Sunday, Jul 17, 2016 at 21:22
Yesterday when i was on the roadside chañging the fuel a young bloke stopped to see if i needed some help .i told what happened .he told me worked for company loading an unloading roadtrains carting fuel he laughed an said you see the crap that comes out of the tankers
Mechpete
FollowupID: 872119

Reply By: David T6 - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2016 at 06:26

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2016 at 06:26
We also did the GRR in June and stopped at Mt Barnett. When we left the next day, there was a guy broken down in his Patrol 10k east of Mt B who had filled up at EL q the day before and had fuel issues ever since.
He was in a bit of trouble as he was looking in the vehicle handbook for guidance. I stopped, drained the filter, reprimed and got him going again. Told him to change the filter when he got to Mt B. Filter, sorry don't have one he said!
AnswerID: 602535

Sponsored Links