Modern Information on remote geographic features

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 19, 2016 at 21:40
ThreadID: 133035 Views:2841 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I’ve noticed that information on remote geographic features is becoming more readily available – mostly via the internet. I'm sure many others have seen this too

Years ago if you read of some faraway outback place from the history books you would have to research, go to the library and spend considerable time at it to find the information you were after. Even in the early days to mid years of the modern internet, remote feature details information was fairly light on.

Now, if you have a good read of some outback adventure somewhere, you only have to look up mentioned interesting features on the net, and the chances are that there will be some information on what you seek.

It is getting easier now to plan a trip based on features that you want to see. As a consequence, you can spend more time seeing extra features, with the benefit of forgoing the time needed to search and seek your targets. Even Google Earth (and its derivatives) provide an edge in this regard.

So where does all this lead to? I wonder how long before almost all known features are mapped and there will be no more researching required?

I’m interested if this alters the average tourists traveling requirements? With less time spent researching does this expand the need to see, and provide the time for the traveler to spend more time seeing additional features?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:26

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:26
Or do we get to the point when we know it all anyway, seen it all - so what's the point in going? Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 602573

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 20:14

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 20:14
Hi Toni,
If I ever saw everything, I'd start over and do it again :-)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872232

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 06:59

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 06:59
Sounds like a plan :) Cheers Toni
FollowupID: 872242

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:50

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:50
All is not lost....I think you actually have to go there to get your Pokemon?? :-)

AnswerID: 602574

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 07:00

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 07:00
Just what is a Pokemon????? Hang on I'll google it :) Toni
FollowupID: 872243

Reply By: Tim F3 - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 13:19

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 13:19
Actually i suggest the reverse may be the case.
As information becomes easier to obtain i find myself spending much more time researching a trip.The info now available opens up many opportunities.

Eg. Recently had a few weeks in vic and sa , stayed at 3 different station stays for the first time , all of which were a great experience havent tried them before..searched info on each on the net ...will do the same for next trip in sept..
AnswerID: 602579

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 18:58

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 18:58
Hi Tim,

That's a good point and one I didn't consider.

So rather than less research it may be equal to, or more than before, with the outcome I guess being more informed about certain features.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872222

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 17:35

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 17:35
I don't think that research plays much of a part in the amount of time that travelers spend exploring. Any time saved in research will probably be spent on Facebook and Twitter or on travel forums.

- There are armchair travelers who will never get far from home.
- There are the "been there seen that" group who visit iconic places once and never go back.
-And there are those of us who love various parts of Australia for what they are and what they offer and keep going back or go to similar places.

Thankfully I belong to the third group.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 602581

Reply By: Joe Fury - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 18:17
G'day Alan

The internet and Google Earth are good as far as resourcing information on outback features, sadly though much of it is already out dated or just plain incorrect.

It's blokes like you, who do the real on the ground work then with time and patience publish your true account adventures that makes it real and interesting even for those who are arm chair adventurers.

I for one thank you for being a modern day 'Explorer'

Safe travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 602583

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 23:35

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016 at 23:35
Quote "I’m interested if this alters the average tourists traveling requirements? With less time spent researching does this expand the need to see, and provide the time for the traveler to spend more time seeing additional features?"

Despite the ready availability if info on the net there are many forum members who don't go chasing it. You only have to look at the number of requests by members for info, most of them look like they just go straight to a forum and ask instead of doing their own research. There are too many of them out there that you feel they are too lazy to do any research and you feel they are asking forum members to plan their trip for them.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602595

Sponsored Links