Strzelecki Track - Lyndhurst to Innamincka

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 13:50
ThreadID: 133045 Views:4560 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Like some advice on current state of track, creek crossings ok?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 13:59

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 13:59
Good'ay Greg,
You beat me too it. I was about to ask about the same thing, plus Birdsville to Mt Dare (Simpson crossing). I am leavinghome (Gympie) Saturday week.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 602607

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 14:33

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 14:33
Hi Greg
This is your best friend when heading out into the great tracks in Outback SA

Up to Date Outback Roads Report

I have been studying this site every day for the last few weeks for our intended trip.

Have a great time

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 602610

Reply By: Member - Greg N3 - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 14:43

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 14:43
Thanks. I should have included the fact that will be towing off-road small van (Track Trailer). Concerned re creek crosssings - re condition of.
AnswerID: 602612

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 19:25

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 19:25
Hi Greg

Like any dirt road Australia wide, wet weather can turn a good road into a bad road in hours.

As for creek crossings, there are a number of small crossing that would only be flowing in times of torrential rainfall and to be honest, you would have more to worry about with mud rather than the creek crossings.

The minor crossing are around the Mount Hopeless/ Blackwater area are as you head north, the only real major crossing has very large concerts culverts over the crossing at the Strzelecki Creek crossing.

From our previous trips along the Strzelecki Track, we find that south of Montecollina Bore the track is more stoney compared to harder packed sections north. You will encounter from memory either 5 or 7 sections that are bituminised, but these sections are only for 5 kilometres each time.

Keep an eye on the Road Reports and that will give you the best and most reliable information. The last thing the Highways Department want is for the track to be cut to pieces, costing thousands to regrade the damage.

All the Best.

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872273

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:20

Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:20
Further to Stephen's detailed info, Greg, I went up the Strezlecki in Oct last year, not towing.

The only worries you'd have would be if you were to treat the sometimes stony sections with disdain. Creek crossings are all good, and generally it's a good gravel highway. There are heaps of trucks using it, going to Moonba.

Enjoy,
Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 872291

Reply By: Member - 8111COLIN - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 17:56

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 17:56
Outback roads report is the go .
However i have just returned from MT Dare , the track into Mt Dare from Fink was all good minimal water , more dust that anything UNTIL you get almost to the front gate of MT Dare station , deep wheel ruts and the water 1 week ago was over the wheels of my troop carrier it's about 50 mtrs before the gate i would say it would have dried up a bit since then , the bottom was fairly hard we towed our camper through it no probs , all cars that went through made it , i hope you have a snorkle .
Track out down to Dalhousie was ordinary , but again easy , lots of chicken tracks .
Lydhurst to Innaminka was wet in places and was open at the time .
If it says 4x4 only it's usally all good with some side tracks
the trailer will follow the car .
Colin

AnswerID: 602621

Sponsored Links