Swag condensation?

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 11:14
ThreadID: 133116 Views:10216 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, quick question, I've used our swag a few times, but interested to know, with two in the swag, would you get condensation? Any one had a problem with it, just querious, as won't want our sleeping bags getting damp.. Thanks all.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maurice b - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 11:27

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 11:27
Yes. Same problem here. Last two nights in my new Darche traditional king single swag min temp 4 deg head out of swag have had a wet sleeping bag .Will be selling it and returning to my small double skin hike tent or my Gortex bivy bag.
AnswerID: 602948

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 11:28

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 11:28
Now this has the potential to go in two completely different directions LOL

All swags, tents and caravans etc experience condensation

The amount of condensation you experience will depend on when and where you use the swag. The main factors will be the outside temperature and humidity and the amount of breathing inside the swag(with two in the swag you will get more).

To combat condensation, make sure you have plenty of ventilation - leave the end flap open. I also have a chamois in the swag and give it a wipe over before I get out. If it gets really bad, you can put a fly over the top - this seems to help.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 602949

Reply By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 12:28

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 12:28
I've used mine a few times, but can't recall condensation, also used my sons double swag on a trip we did around the SW WA, same again, can't recall getting any, was quite cold at night, and remember pulling the top up, to keep a bit of warmth in.. On the Simpson trip coming up, my wife has never slept in a swag, so thought we would take it with us, so Sue can get the full experience. Will be taking a foam filled self inflating mattress, to be used in both tent and swag, seeing how small the swag rolls up without the mattress, thought will throw it in some where. Like the idea of a chamois or towel to give a quick wipe, before disturbing it to much.. Thanks guys.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602953

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 12:48

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 12:48
G'day, have used a swag for many years, single and double and never had condensation, I use doona and sheets. Had some mates travel with me once, they used swags and sleeping bags, every morning they had to dry the sleeping bags, absolutely drenched. I think it is the sleeping bag in the swag that causes the condensation. Have no idea why though.........
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 602954

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 20:52

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 20:52
You know, you might be right there John...

We use doonas and sheets in our swags, I like to regulate my temp by sticking my feet , bum and shoulders or combos there of out of the doona.

I've never really had much condensation, compared to others we have camped with. They have all had sleeping bags!

When I do get condensation, it is directly above my head (according to my wife it is snore juice brought about by drinking red wine before bed!) I just use a car chamois to dry it of before I get out.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 872586

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 13:37

Saturday, Jul 30, 2016 at 13:37
Yeh common problem in the very cold weather
When ya all zipped up no big deal just dry it in the mornin sun
Mechpete
AnswerID: 602956

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Jul 31, 2016 at 07:05

Sunday, Jul 31, 2016 at 07:05
We are another one that does not experience condensation inside the our swag.
We have slept in many freezing cold nights in the Flinders without any problems.
ARB double swag.
ARB mattress with sheepskin underlayer.
Mattress sheet, cover sheet, 2 x double -2 rated quilts with a hot water bottle.
Swag on top of a ground sheet and under a awning.
I think the main reason for no condensation is the swag is under a awning.
Having said that, the awning is saturated.

Same results with the bed ends canvas on our camper, no condensation when the bed end flies are out.
AnswerID: 602979

Reply By: Glenn C5 - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 06:30

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 06:30
With 2 in the swag what would you expect. Go for it Odog. Make that swag drip
AnswerID: 603002

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:26

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 07:26
Was thinking how long that would take when I put the thread up.... Gee it took 3 days for someone to come up with that.. Well done Glenn.. You win.. Ha.. Thanks to all for the replies, will take the chamois with us, and maybe use the awning on the car.. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 872648

Reply By: Michaeljp - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 15:57

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 15:57
Ventilation prevents condensation. When you breath out there is moisture in your breath. If there is no ventilation it has nowhere to go, so it just gathers inside your swag.
AnswerID: 603019

Reply By: Rojac - Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 22:29

Monday, Aug 01, 2016 at 22:29
Never had a problem, have sleeping bag in swag but always leave either head or foot flap open for ventilation
AnswerID: 603025

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip B2 - Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 22:35

Monday, Aug 29, 2016 at 22:35
All swag material manufactured for at least the last 10 years has a high percentage of polyester mixed with the cotton weave. This combination lowers cost of raw materials as against a straight 100% cotton canvas. This is the reason why today's swags are all coated. You can usually see a sheen on the inside of the fabric - they don' t breath like a pure cotton swag does. I have 3 swags and the best one by far is my first one made using 100% cotton canvas. Keeping a draft thru the swag on any night will help to keep the condensation down, however if the dew point is above the ambient temps inside your swag you are going to get condensation. Basically it's a byproduct situation that you have little control over. You could try finding that will absorb the moisture you generate from breathing, however it might just be something you have live with. It's a pain getting up with the moisture on the inside of the swag and on the Donald or sleeping bag, but that's today's swag for you. Last action would be to source some 100% cotton canvas and find someone to run one up for you or contact a canvas tent manufacturer as a good start point. Straight canvas has some downsides also as it needs to be seasoned by drowning it to close up any sewing penetrations from needles, plus it's more prone to mildew than the modern swags. Comes down to good housekeeping and drying the swag out after it gets wet.
Bit long winded but based on fact and experience. Hope this helps. PHIL
FollowupID: 873598

Sponsored Links