Slotted and Dimpled.

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 11:45
ThreadID: 133133 Views:3571 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
The front rotors on my 2000model Troopy will require replacement in the near future and during my research have been reading about Slotted and Dimpled brake rotors. I'm not sure if this is a Fad for 'boy street racers' or are genuine upgrades for the 'average braking' of a 78 Series LC.
Dont the slots and dimples just fill up with mud, dirt and brake dust and as a result nullify the purpose of having them??
Should I just go for the standard rotors?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 13:30

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 13:30
Trouper
Had same extensive exercise on my ute as well, after recommendation from a cobber of mine fitted some to his "80 Series".
His opinion was all positive in increased braking ability, so bit the bullet and had fitted to my 79.
Must admit that my vehicle is a little heavier than the average trayback, and after fitting them I was very impressed with the improvement in braking ability.
Overall I don't consider it a fad at all, and far as mud and brake dust issues are concerned the design of them allows for displacement of build up etc. as well as better cooling on the disc and pads.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 603042

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 15:41

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 15:41
Thanks Flighty, I was hoping that would be the case as my 78 series is definitely down on braking ability.
Jeff
FollowupID: 872692

Reply By: GarryR - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 16:18

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 16:18
I replaced std rotors with slotted rotors 6mths ago and made a small difference on std braking but, I found them considerably better braking towing the trailer with constant braking. The extra cost for crossed drilled or dimpled is not worth it unless you are putting extreme heat into them for a longer period of time. This is what was recommended to me earlier this year. I am also running a different pad to the std Toyota ones that were original. Brake fade was my issue at the time. Also consider to doing a complete brake system fluid change as this will also help
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603046

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 17:44

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 17:44
Thanks for that GarryR, recently changed the master cylinder plus brake fluid. I normally use Bendix 4x4 pads.
FollowupID: 872695

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 17:46

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 17:46
Thanks for that GarryR, recently changed the master cylinder plus brake fluid. I normally use Bendix 4x4 pads.
FollowupID: 872696

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 19:49

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 19:49
Hi
I drove my brother inlaws hdj79ute and found the brakes woefull while towing the boat or just a load on the back of the ute.
One cheap mod is adjust the LPSV valve to a higher setting
which involves making up a L bracket with a few holes.
id recommend either 25x6 to 25x10 in size flat bar and raise the height on the top of the diff by 30mm to start with.
this mod brings your back brakes on harder than before but you will always lock your front up, and never the back.
this mod would be no more than $10-15 dollars at the very MOST and I mean you should come out with a bit of change in that.
the more expensive mod is the
BRAMAC BRAKES DOUBLE DIAPHRAGM booster mod.
this gives you more hydraulic pressure soo you need less leg pressure to get brakes to come on.
this is already getting done in the VJD v8 ute mods soo its a very well worn path of modification.
And in the end you actually have proper brakes where you can use your toes on the pedal and cruiser will pull up
this mod is around $500
And this would be the second mod after LPSV valve

dont worry
even my current hj47 1984 ute has poor brakes
the LPSV mod has made a great difference
but slotted rotors helped me again where I can lock up the fronts easy as now, in the wet.

Dont stuff around with the rotors yet.
do the LPSV mod first...
why....you ask, because for $10 bucks why not
then the bramac brake booster

that should be ample
and you really are going overboard if you need to go the sloted rotors after that !!!

Best of luck
feel free to ask for details on the L Bracket
AnswerID: 603049

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 06:04

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 06:04
They still put LSPV's on cruiser's? No wonder the brakes are woeful. They cannot cope with upgraded suspension.
We used to bend the rod on the hilux's and wind out the adjustment rod to crank the bias back, but the last 10 years worth of utes we've had have all had ABS and auto brake apportioning. Bias valves are horse and cart stuff.
FollowupID: 872702

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 10:58

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 10:58
Thanks Mountainman I look at those Mods
FollowupID: 872711

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 18:37

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 18:37
LPSV valve were still in use up untill last of all 6cylinder cruiser utes, both NA and TD.

Current v8 I dont know
but brother inlaw has the new v8 ute of which was bought second hand.
but HOLY CRAP THEY HAVE SOME SERIOUS GRUNT WHEN YOU CHIP IT

It damn well FLY'S !!!!!!
FollowupID: 872726

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 22:03

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2016 at 22:03
We've got a 09/15 Landcruiser ute and it has a LPSV as well as ABS brakes. Also had a GVM upgrade and the valve has an extension on the adjusting bolt.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 872732

Reply By: Paul and Mel - Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 21:13

Tuesday, Aug 02, 2016 at 21:13
Slotted and dimpled rotors make a fair bit of difference and using Bendix 4x4/SUV titanium pads makes them absolutely shine. If it needs rotors go that path.
AnswerID: 603050

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 17:35

Sunday, Aug 07, 2016 at 17:35
My leaf sprung Patrol ute is a fairly heavy set up & the original brakes were ‘less than adequate’. I changed the front brakes to slotted & dimpled, along with EBC 6000 series ‘Greenstuff’ pads. Rear drum brakes remain stock. The improvement with just doing the front was significant. I now feel safe which I didn’t with the stock rotors & pads. One of the best changes I’ve made.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603158

Sponsored Links