Alloy Bullbar drilling holes

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 15:52
ThreadID: 133198 Views:8596 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, we have a Toyota Landcruiser 200 series with an alloy bar and 2 holes on the bottom part to fit spotlights etc. The LED light bar and brackets are not wide enough to fit the existing holes, how easy or difficult is it to drill 2 new holes for the brackets and any tips etc. Don't wish to mount the LEDs on the upper part of the bar. Many thanks, Richie,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 16:07

Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 16:07
Richie,

There are a couple of options here.

1) Mark the position of the new holes and use a centre punch to make an indent where the hole/s will be required. Then proceed to drill a small "pilot" hole with, say, a 1/16" drill bit. Gradually increase the size of the drill bit until the hole is the correct size. However, in my experience, the biggest problem you're likely to face is that the distance between the flat part of the bullbar (where the new holes are needed) and the upper bar of the bullbar, is likely to be less than the height of your drill+bit. This would mean you would need to drill the hole/s at an angle, dictated by how close you can get the drill to being perpendicular to the base section. Of course, if you have access to a right angle air drill, then you will be able to drill the holes at the correct 90 degree angle. I don't own that type of drill (but it's on my list of "wants"). I hope I've explained that well enough. By the way, if you have good drill bits, the aluminium isn't hard to drill holes through.

2)...This is what I would do by way of an alternative..... I would calculate the difference between the existing holes in the bullbar and the "required" holes of the light bar. Lets say the existing holes are 600mm apart and the bolts of the light bar are 500mm apart for arguments sake. I would bend/weld up 2 "Z" brackets to the required dimensions and drill 2 holes in each "Z" section so that the holes in one section match the holes in the bullbar and the other ones match the light bar. The light bar will then sit (say) 30mm higher on the bullbar, but you won't have to drill more holes in the bullbar itself. Paint the new Z brackets silver or black and Bob's ya uncle!!

Cheers,

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603297

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 22:09

Thursday, Aug 11, 2016 at 22:09
Buy a piece of alloy box section like 50 x25 x 650 or whatever and bolt the lightbar to it and then bolt it into the holes that are there. Put a spacer underneath to allow for the nuts holding the lightbar down. Drilling extra holes anywhere is probably not a good idea or very neat.
AnswerID: 603318

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Friday, Aug 12, 2016 at 14:53

Friday, Aug 12, 2016 at 14:53
Further to Tom's great idea, I have done something similar in the past.

In order to avoid the need to add a spacer underneath the tubing, what I did was to enlarge the hole on the underside of where the 2 LED bar mounting holes are, to a size that meant I could fit an appropriate size socket in. That way, the nuts that hold the LED bar onto the tube can be done up through the bottom holes and are thus hidden from view when the bar is mounted.

Also, if you access to a Rivnut (or Nutsert) rivet tool, you can make the job even neater by using a Rivnut on the underside of the outer holes of the tube and pass a bolt up through from the underside of the bullbar. The whole thing will thus look as though it is just sitting there!! ;-) Add a couple of plastic end pieces/bungs if you wish too.

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

FollowupID: 872965

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Aug 12, 2016 at 21:57

Friday, Aug 12, 2016 at 21:57
Good idea Roachie I was only allowing for light wall box and thought if you did that it might shake but you can buy stuff with about 3mm thickness which should be enough..

Two heads are always better LOL
FollowupID: 872975

Reply By: richard cee - Friday, Aug 12, 2016 at 21:36

Friday, Aug 12, 2016 at 21:36
Thanks Roachie and Tom H, some great ideas.
Will have a look on the weekend and see what I can come up with frim your good suggestions.
Many thanks, Richie.
AnswerID: 603351

Reply By: McLaren3030 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 15:48

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 15:48
Richard, be careful drilling extra holes into your bull bar, you may void what ever warranty you have on the bar.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 603388

Sponsored Links