80 series No2 cylinder block insulator - is it important or needed?

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 13, 2016 at 18:45
ThreadID: 133212 Views:2887 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Does anyone know what the purpose of the No 2 cylinder block insulator is ?
This is positioned between the rear timing belt cover and the water pump on a 1hd-ft 80 series also would be on 1hd-dye I would guess.
It is made of high density type foam like material
There is more of this along the cylinder head as well as between injector pump and block
Is it for noise or vibration or to reduce heat transfer to the timing belt ????
Regards Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Aug 13, 2016 at 22:47

Saturday, Aug 13, 2016 at 22:47
Geoff, it's for noise and vibration transfer reduction. If it was for heat transfer reduction, it would be made of high-temperature resisting material with some style of metallic, heat reflective material on one side, and it would have an air gap.

Diesels are notorious for producing a lot of noise (the "diesel rattle"), related to high compression, high pressure fuel injection with a sharp cutoff, high combustion pressures, and the corresponding large area component (block & head) vibration.

Todays diesels concentrate on noise reduction by staggered injection, stiffening of large area components, and sound deadening via insulation. The insulation takes many forms, from the material you mention through to improved engine mounts with reduced noise and vibration transfer, through to sound-deadening materials on firewalls and the underside of bonnets.

The more luxurious the vehicle model, the more attention is paid to noise and vibration reduction. The manufacturers term is NVH - Noise, Vibration & Harshness.
Constant reduction of NVH is a very big part of car design today, and the terminology and the attention to NVH reduction was introduced probably more than 30 yrs ago.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 603365

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff 17 - Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 08:22

Sunday, Aug 14, 2016 at 08:22
Hi RON
Thanks for your information
I should of added my delema
I have replaced the water pump and rear timing cover and now realise I forgot to put in that small foam insulator
If it's just noise I would be happy to forget it
If it's for heat I would have to pull off timing cover and put in insulator, not a big job but it's all sealed in and need vehicle going
Regards Geoff
FollowupID: 872998

Sponsored Links