Fitting tyres by hand.

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 16, 2016 at 22:00
ThreadID: 133231 Views:4948 Replies:13 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Pulled a tyre off rim today to repair. 17" navara rim with dueller tyres. Problem is despite wrestling for an hour I can't get it back on. Looked at several videos on YouTube and they just push tyres on by hand. No tools at all. I tried plenty of lube, a rubber hammer and levers but gave up. There must be articles on exploroz but nothing comes up with all my searches in articles section. I thought there used to be a tek section. What am I doing wrong?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2016 at 22:48

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2016 at 22:48
It is frustrating.
I can do the 305/70R19.5s on the OKA, but it would take me quite a while and just about kill me.
Last week I had a guy strip 4 and fit them to 4 other rims and re inflate them, all in 50 minutes. That would take me all day.
Lube is the first secret. Use good stuff. The stuff the pros use is good. This guy used Lanolin spray in a pressure pack can. Never seen that before.
And good tyre levers. His were also different. Long and with a stop welded on about 100mm from the end.
The third secret is practice & watch the pros.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
AnswerID: 603452

Follow Up By: Genny - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:59

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:59
And stand on the buggers. Unless that tire bead is pushed down on the bits you already have on the rim, you'll never be able to get the last bit on.
FollowupID: 873087

Reply By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 05:48

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 05:48
Make sure the bead of the tyre is sitting on the thinnest part of the inside of the rim, which is sometimes off set to one side, start on that side... If this makes sense.. Good luck with it.. Persistence is a virtue, so I've been told.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 603453

Follow Up By: 08crd - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 17:10

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 17:10
That is the trick, also buy a tube of PBR rubber grease, and a set of curved motorcycle tyre levers, these make it easy to get the end of the lever under the tight section of the tyre bead and still get onto the rim lip.
FollowupID: 873094

Reply By: Iza B - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 06:13

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 06:13
The profile across the inner surface of the rim is rarely level and parallel to the rim lip. Think about where the tyre bead is sitting in the rim before trying to push the other side of the bead over the outer edge of the rim. You will notice that the experts always choose which side of the rim to start on and wiggle the inside bead up and down until it is sitting in the smallest diameter section of the rim before trying to get the other side of the bead over the lip.

A bit of pure Sunlight soap in water has always worked for me as lube.

Iza
AnswerID: 603454

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:02

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:02
You're all thinking it so I'll jump!

If all else fails, get out that tube of KY....
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873088

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 08:59

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 08:59
or you can make up a tyre change head and refit tyres in seconds.............. I have mine so I can fit it to the bullbar, have a long bar that fits over tyre edge and you pivot the bar around the centre pivot point, same principle as the tyre fitting machine at the tyre places. Takes longer to set up the head than it takes to refit the tyre. Can't submit pictures at present, will have to work that out later today with Adele.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 603456

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:13

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:13
Thanks everyone. Yes I did try placing tire on smallest Diameter of rim and even close to bead(shortest distance) but I didn't try from other side however. I will get some better lube today and have another crack. The navara rims are not the easiest. I have done tyres before but these ones are toughies.
AnswerID: 603457

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:44

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:44
G'day Kirk

Are you putting the lube in the right spot ?

When re-fitting a tyre put the lube on the inside of the bead - just on the last 1/4 of an inch right next to the sharpish square bit of the tyre and some on the rim where the last bit of tyre goes over - and yes it can be done without any tools !

I get a jar of tyre slip from my tyre dealer - don't know what brand it is but works a treat.

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 603460

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:49

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:49
An investment that saves your rims and your BACK ….. easy as turning a spanner … R&R Beadbreaker & Tire refitting Tool….
AnswerID: 603461

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 10:21

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 10:21
Got one. Great machine. That's why I was so flustered thinking I got all this good gear and still can't do it. Tyre came off easy just couldn't get him back on. I reversed the rim and had tyre on in a few minutes. I actually thought of that in bed this morning but in my stupor last night wasn't thinking. I amaze myself how stupid I can be. As they say take a deep breath and stand back for a minute but no it's all rush rush. Thanks again guys.
FollowupID: 873091

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:03

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:03
As the old saying goes ' When all else fails read and follow the instructions' , ,, its so far in-between using the R&R that I always 'need' to have a look at the instruction video before use. LOL
FollowupID: 873093

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 10:34

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at 10:34
Kirk - Start with the rim lying down, valve side up. Lube the rim bead and rim edge.

Always fit the tyre to the valve side of the rim, this side has the narrowest distance from the edge of the rim to the well.

Drop the tyre onto the rim at an angle, ensuring the lowest part of the bead is sitting in the deepest part of the rim well.

Take your big rubber hammer and hammer the bead, several consecutive hits each side, at a 45 deg angle, right at the points where they are touching the rim edge.

Continue to ensure the bottom of the bead is still sitting right in the deepest part of the rim well, while you are smacking the bead over the edges of the rim.

Once the inside bead is on, repeat the process with the outside bead.
Some alloy rims are a really tight fit, you have to really pound the beads to get them over the edge.
Sometimes, a tyre lever will assist with the stretch, but don't use a tyre lever at the same time as you use the rubber hammer.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 603463

Reply By: Athol W1 - Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 08:50

Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 08:50
Kirk
Whilst there is a lot of good advice given already I find it is best to be standing on the tyre (with suitable sturdy footwear) with my toes pressing down on that section of tyre already on the rim so as to push the tyre bead into the well of the rim and at the same time using the rubber hammer to strike the bead above the rim very close to where it is to slide over the edge. This striking is to push the tyre across the wheel (pulling the bead into the well) and it will slowly stretch itself over the edge.

Also, when removing a tyre always start at the valve, and when fitting always finish at the valve, and if fitting with a tube it may help if the tube is not between the well in the rim and the tyre bead, a small amount of air placed into the tube, just enough to form the tube into shape, can help before fitting the second side of the tyre.

Always work on the side of the wheel that has the well closest to the edge, there are some wheels where this will require the tyre to be fitted from the back of the wheel.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 603485

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:02

Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:02
Hi Kirk
I used to be a tire jockey back in the day but I never managed to fit a road car tire by hand. Some carcass rim openings are larger than others so I'm sure it can be done but I never could.

You got the carcass off, have you checked it for damage from the removal? Its dead easy to rip chunks out of the bead area and that's a recipe for disaster - basically toss the tire.

After all the advice from others, I'd also suggest you visit your local tire shop and ask if you can watch a carcass change.
Ok its not going to be as manual a procedure as what you do but you'll see the mechanics of the operation and they don't change.
You've got the tire levers so your problem is technique and experience.
I break the bead by driving over the sidewall with the truck. Lots of soapy stuff as mentioned then I use some 3 or 4 cheap approx 600mm pry bars (Aldi) as I don't want large heavy tools in the truck that I seldom use, the pry bars can be used for lots of things.
Then its just muscle and patience so as to not rip the bead.
AnswerID: 603487

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 13:46

Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 13:46

Test image type upload for John.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603495

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 14:14

Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 14:14
I am a member as far as I know. I posted a thread so must be. Not sure why I got that message.
AnswerID: 603497

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 14:18

Thursday, Aug 18, 2016 at 14:18
Thanks again guys. As I mentioned above I was trying from wrong side. I reversed the rim and got tyre on in ages minutes. Don't even know why I was trying to do that but obviously wasn't thinking. My technique is pretty much what you guys are saying and I have fitted tyres before. Just had a brain fart with this time trying to do too much in to short a time.
AnswerID: 603498

Sponsored Links