Water tanks.....plastic drain taps?

Submitted: Friday, Aug 19, 2016 at 21:24
ThreadID: 133251 Views:4315 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Last time we went away for a weekend I was surprised there was apparently no water in the drinking tank. It was okay because I'd filled all 4 tanks with our home rainwater, so we didn't go dry....but I couldn't understand why the #1 tank wasn't delivering water.

When we got home I climbed underneath and found that tanks 1,2 and 3 all had those plastic press-lever taps in the drainage bung hole...and the one on #1 tank was broken in half = no water. On that weekend trip we only did about 5klm of good gravel road.

So, I've removed all 3 of those taps and replaced with blanking bungs.

Just curious as to whether anybody else has/had the taps in their tanks?

When we took delivery in January, I also had to replace the filling fitting on #1 tank; rock hit most likely. I think I will be adding a small rubber flap to the inside face of the chassis, just forward of #1 tank, to deflect any stones from getting into that area.
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 03:10

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 03:10
I only have 2 tanks and both taps got knocked off between Immamincka and Lyndhurst. I was lucky that I scrounged the bungs out of 2 20 litre drums to plug the holes.
Real handy when you are out in the middle of nowhere and not a lot of drinking water about.

Cheers.

AnswerID: 603578

Reply By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 14:12

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 14:12
suspect they were designed to give emergency access to water if pump failed, had that occur on folks camper and had to use the drain pipe to gain water -motto always have water in another container just in case, easier than a giraffe getting onto ground to open up a valve/tap under a camper.

Obviously having a push level tap is too weak design and needs to be replaced, bungs be better option,which you have already done.

In case of folks camper i extended the water pipe to side of chassis bolted up a tap with safety lock/pin still have the on/off tap inline to prevent water flow but a lot easier to gain even very slowly from this tap than to crawl under to get water every-time.

I suspect having water pump exposed underneath chassis to elements is its downfall but no way to relocate or have a cover placed around it to give protection.
AnswerID: 603600

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 14:36

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 14:36
Whatever you tow ( on dirt ), always get underneath and cover or shield anything that can be hit by rocks.
Replace plastic fittings with brass....or remove if you don't need them.

AnswerID: 603603

Reply By: Member - Racey - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 15:39

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 15:39
I fitted brass taps (1/4 turn type) from Bunnings about $5 each, never been a problem even on rough dirt roads. Having taps makes it easier to drain the tanks.
AnswerID: 603606

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 11:25

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 11:25
Hi Roachie

I bet you still had your Ultimate when those type of things happen.

Just recently when we we camped at Muloorina, an off road van drove in and the first thing the guy did even before setting up his site was to dive under his van.

30 minutes later he got out from under after cursing and swearing. Going over to see what his issue was, he said his inlet water pipe was smashed off from rocks on the track, even though the track was in very good condition and notices a water trail behind his van when he stopped to pay his camping fee.

How many times do you hear of similar stories from the Birdsville and other similar type tracks with off road vans.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603655

Follow Up By: NikNoff - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 18:37

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 18:37
I must be lucky, nine years of towing our off road van throughout Australia and majority of all the iconic tracks we have not broken one thing under the van.
FollowupID: 873261

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 11:04

Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 11:04
I run two tanks.
One has a brass bung so I have to get underneath to drain it but it is unaffected by rocks which is worth the extra hassle on the rare occasions that I drain it.
The 2nd tank has a brass fitting and then plastic reinforced hose to a hand pump. This tank is treated as a backup hence the hand pump as well as an electric pump.
The hose is also wrapped in the split wiring loom stuff to make it a bit more rock resilient.

Been lucky with this setup so far but no way would I have plastic taps under my trailer..
AnswerID: 603697

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 23:05

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 23:05
I had trouble with one of my plastic taps so I replaced them both with these type and I slip a rubber chair stop over the end to help keep dust out.
AnswerID: 603839

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 06:25

Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 06:25
Thanks Batts....

I had one like that on the camper trailer and never had any issues.

I'm not sure whether one would fit on current van (between the tank and the side of the chassis rail), but it'd be worth measuring I guess.

Cheers,

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 873470

Sponsored Links