How long before the stress sets in when things go pear shape??...

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 17:37
ThreadID: 133258 Views:3934 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Remember Jack Absolum( spelling), docos, Just relax and make a cuppa he used to quote,then think about the problem on hand. He was right , if your that way inclined ..lol...I'm a bit like "forget the cuppa" until the things fixed, or know what the problem is,...I can't just sit there thinking ill look at it soon.,!.

CheersAxle.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 17:42

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 17:42
Yeah, like you, Axle, I can't relax when something is wrong and I know I can fix it. Or if I don't know what the cause is.

Tend to deal with the problem and while I'm doing that, navigator makes a brew and/or snack for afterwards to "calm down a bit" :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603612

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 17:52

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 17:52
Hi Axle,

Definitely time to relax when the pear comes.
The first minutes or hours may be crucial to a positive result, so give a bit of time to think about things a bit first.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 603613

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 18:41

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 18:41
I know I know, I know!,....But the Brain won't slow up enough!!...LOL.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 873201

Reply By: cookie1 - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 21:41

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 21:41
There's that saying "fools rush in where others fear to tread"

I think it is important to always look at the problem at hand and have a good hard think about the problem and how best to approach any given situation

eg: In remote sand driving, the old man used to tell me "if I start getting stuck on big dunes, I'll pull up for the day, have a quiet brew or two and tackle them in the morning when the sand is damp"

These days I have the HF, Sat Phone and, if life threatening, EPIRB, spare water & Katedyn and about a weeks worth of food, so think I have most bases covered
AnswerID: 603627

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 23:27

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 23:27
I know where you are coming from Axle. What I am finding is that as I very rapidly close in on my 7th decade of being on this Earth, is that I need twice as long to solve problems that are half as bad. They seem to take on "bigger than Ben Hur" proportions at first glance..
It sort of forces me to sit down, calm down and try to think my way through.
It is very hard to take Jack Absolom's advice when a problem is gnawing away at the back, front and both sides of one's mind.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 603633

Follow Up By: Member - J&A&KK - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 13:24

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 13:24
Hi Pop. Your mind may not be slowing down as much as you think. I read a very interesting scientific article on how age impacts on decisions made. I am in the same age group as you and use the scientific article to justify most of my slow decision making. In summary the article shows that aged brains have a lot more information (due to life's experience) to process than a young brain. As a result there is often many alternative solutions to a problem. The old brain has to wade through the alternatives and pick the best one. This takes time and the need for a cuppa or a good nights sleep. Cheers John
FollowupID: 873234

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 23:36

Saturday, Aug 20, 2016 at 23:36
I just sit back and think .... "What would Lassie do??" .....

She'd run home with a note for help, of course .... [;-)

Naturally, with my luck - she'd run straight under the water tank, and chew it up, before anyone read it .... [:-(

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 603635

Follow Up By: carl h2 - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 06:49

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 06:49
whats that skip the alternator shit its self.
FollowupID: 873212

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 11:00

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 11:00
No one I know speaks or understands any of the many dialects of "kangaroo".

There are however a couple that are fluent in galah (;=))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 873220

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 20:57

Sunday, Aug 21, 2016 at 20:57
Old Jack, what a character :)

Great advice but not always so easy to do. A bit of discipline.....
AnswerID: 603678

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:49

Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:49
Like you, I can't sit back until things are fixed.

Robert M Pirsig gave the best piece of advice in his book

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

The gist of it is...

When confronted with a seemingly impossible fix in the middle of nowhere with the elements about to unleash on you - change your mindset.
step back and tell yourself - "This is the best thing that could have happened today".
Really changes your attitude and lets your creative side out to solve the problem. No need for that cuppa.

You really have to read the book.

I can only say that I always take this approach and have found some amazing solutions to problems I have had to deal with on the road.

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 603700

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 17:33

Monday, Aug 22, 2016 at 17:33
We recently had a pear shaped moment on the mud flats on Lorella Springs.
After a quick assessment we tried a few things that had minor benefits. We watched the sunset, snapped the dyneema winch rope and it was obvious we weren't getting out of there quickly.
I suggested my better half light a fire aand put on the billy. It wasn't just for the cup of tea but so she had something to do that we were actually going to benefit from.
Making the cuppa might be for the benefits of the cup of tea as well as a chance to sit down and let your mind reassess where your at.

Just my thought.

Steve
AnswerID: 603705

Sponsored Links