VicRoads GVM upgrade transfer

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 12:22
ThreadID: 133305 Views:6538 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I am looking at buying a vehicle that has had a GVM upgrade prior to initial reg that was done outside of Vic. I have a email from VicRoads saying there is a national database for this if it is done prior to initial reg. I have just contacted them about a unregistered Qld vehicle and provided Vin & eng number. I was then told the database is only for above 4.5T and would need to be re-certified. Has anyone successfully been done this path with VicRoads.

Thanks, Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 13:21

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 13:21
I'm 100% sure that if the upgrade and certification was done before first rego, then the vehicle can be re-registered in another state. I don't think this is confined to heavy vehicles.

A couple of things that MIGHT impinge on that but which I'm not sure about:
- the expired rego?
- was it done before the so called "second stage manufacture" regime came in?
- does it have second compliance plate with the "second stage manufacture" wording on it?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603815

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 13:37

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 13:37
If the GVM upgrade was done prior to the initial registration there will be no need to have it re-certified.

New vehicles need to be fitted prior to registration and are then certified under their new GVM as per the new compliance plate – meaning that the vehicle is registered federally with the GVM upgrade.

Not sure if the issue is complicated by the fact it is now unregistered...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 603816

Reply By: Rob K (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 16:39

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 16:39
Kevin, if it has a second compliance plate fitted to the vehicle for the GVM upgrade that should be enough for VicRoads. If not fitted with the second plate, and the vehicle is unregistered, you are going to have great difficulty getting it registered in Victoria at the higher GVM. Keep looking for a vehicle with the second compliance plate fitted.

Cheers and good luck.

Rob K
AnswerID: 603822

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 17:03

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 17:03
I was told the same thing. We had a gvm upgrade done last year on our 2005 100 series. We have a new compliance plate attached to the door frame. Just as legal as done before initial registration.

Like Rob said - "if it has a second compliance plate fitted to the vehicle for the GVM upgrade that should be enough". That should be the same for all Australian states and territories.

Phil
FollowupID: 873432

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 17:23

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 17:23
It has a second plate fitted and I was told that this was not acceptable. I can only go on what I have been told. Really need to hear from someone who has actually done this as to what is required. As I said in my initial question, I was lead to believe that there was a national register of pre reg GVM upgrades, but VicRoads said it is only for above 4.5t

Kevin
FollowupID: 873434

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 18:40

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 18:40
Who said it wasn't acceptable?

Phil
FollowupID: 873442

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 18:50

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 18:50
Vehicle Safety Team in VicRoads, who look after GVM. The person I spoke to also confirmed this with a VicRoads engineer.
Kevin
FollowupID: 873444

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 19:12

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 19:12
That sounds like they, VicRoads, are saying that VicRoads don't accept a legal GVM from other states. This is in contradiction to what the ACT RTA office told me. Something is being lost in transmission.

Legal also means having the paperwork as well as a compliance plate. Anyone can make up a plate but not everyone would have the stamped and signed inspection and reports as approval from the local RTA etc. Maybe you don't have the papers that show that the upgrade was done properly.

I have to carry the paperwork in the car otherwise it, the GVM upgrade, can be rejected by anyone pulling us over. Ours is about 50 pages of engineers report and one stamped, signed and approved inspection form from the RTA registration senior inspector. It all has to be in the car all the time.

Did you tell them that you had all the paperwork as well as the compliance plate? That could make a difference.

I can't do more for you. Best of luck.

Phil
FollowupID: 873445

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 19:13

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 19:13
There are plates and there are plates. I was issued with a plate for the door pillar after my POST first rego GVM upgrade. It has the VIN, the new GVM and the engineers certificate number. But it DOES NOT have the Second Stage Manufacturing details annotated. Therefore the certification is not valid for sale interstate. An interstate purchaser would have to have the vehicle re- certified.

If the vehical in question does not have the Second Stage Manufacturing detail on the plate, then it has to be re-certified.

If it DOES have the Second Stage Manufacturing details, then under the Second Stage Manufacturing scheme re-certification for interstate sale is NOT required. That may be affected by the expired rego - I'm not sure on that.

The key thing is SECOND STAGE MANUFACTURE. For interstate sale without re-certification that HAS to be on the supplementary plate.

Phil, was yours pre first rego, or some other time in the life of the vehicle?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 873446

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 19:30

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 19:30
Hi Frank

Post rego by about 11 years. We have a 2005 100 series and the upgrade was done last year. No Second Stage stuff that I am aware of.

Do you have to carry a bunch of docos showing the engineering details or a report etc?

Maybe VicRoads wants Kevin's paperwork and he doesn't have anything.

Here is our plate. I don't see what you mean by Second Stage Manufacture?
FollowupID: 873447

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 20:06

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 20:06
Like mine, Phil, yours is post first rego. If yours is sold outside ACT it would have to be re-certified. If mine was sold outside NSW, ditto. BUT, until they are sold interstate the certification we and subsequent same-state owners have is valid and accepted by all states in which the vehicle travels. It's the selling that has the restriction. It's BS isn't it.

I don't have ready access to a vehicle with a Second Stage Manufacture plate so I can't post a pic. But I've seen a few and am sure of my ground.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 873450

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 20:12

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 20:12

This is plate I believe Frank is referring to. However, according to the people I spoke to in VicRoads there is no National Register below 4.5t

Kevin
FollowupID: 873452

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 20:16

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 20:16
I doubt that we will ever sell the car but I will check with the Queanbeyan and ACT rego offices to see if there is a difference as we went throuigh all kinds hoops and have a heap of test done. We may be lucky.

Phil (back to the footy)

PS. Not disputing your words. Just checking

FollowupID: 873453

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 20:22

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 20:22
That blue plate is fitted to indicate that the vehicle has been modified under the National Code Of Practice (NCOP) for the modification of light vehicles, and could/would only be recognised by the states that are signatory to that code.

The codes shown on that plate indicate to me that there has been modifications carried out to the seating or seat belts (LK1), also a fuel tank modification (LM1), several steering modifications (LS4,5 & 6), and a GVM reassessment (LT2)

As yet there is no requirement for any Australian state to recognise any modification that has been certified in another state, the exception is if there is a Second Stage of Manufacture Compliance Plate fitted (a silver coloured plate), and this normally only applies to modifications made to vehicles prior to first registration.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 873454

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 21:53

Thursday, Aug 25, 2016 at 21:53
Athol

I'm in agreement with your assessment. There is no requirement for another State to recognise a modification approval that has been done post-registration in another State.

In practice though, it would be unusual for one to be challenged, especially where the modification has federal approvals. For example, I have a Lovell's GVM upgrade done post-registration in NSW. It would be technically possible for it to be challenged roadside in another State, in reality though it is unlikely, and even if it was despite the inconvenience it wouldn't hold as Lovell's has Federal approval and it can be approved post registration in all Australian States.

I researched this further after a post on EO a couple of month’s back where this apparently happened. I spoke to a number of engineers who concurred that it was possible, but they had never heard of it previously.

In reality, the GVM on my vehicle is noted as 3,780KG, and it has paper work associated with it, and I don't ever expect to be challenged in another State - but it is possible.

For that matter, police have the power to defect any vehicle roadside, it would then be up to the owner to demonstrate roadworthiness to have the defect lifted.

In the case being presented by the original poster, if the GVM upgrade was done pre-registration I don't see it as an issue - but the OP will need to deal with the bureaucracy to get it done.

Personally, if I were keen on the vehicle I would ensure that the GVM upgrade has a federal approval and simply get an engineer to sign it off in Victoria and move forward from there…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 873459

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 08:13

Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 08:13

Hi Kevin

Looking at the Second Stage of manufacture plate on the vehicle that you have photographed the GVM upgrade appears to have been done by MDT
Engineering, which is a Geelong based firm in Victoria.

They did some work on my vehicle and it was signed off by Enkelman and Associates.

MDT frequently use Enkelman and Associates, Melbourne (who are VASS signatories for certification - they are also signatories for other States) so I suggest you touch base with Jackie Chan at Enkelman’s, who is very informative, and I am confident Jackie will be able to answer your question precisely and accurately.

If you do touch base and get a clearer direction please be sure to let us know the outcome as this is always a topical subject in the forum...

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 603845

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 15:11

Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 15:11
MDT is Multi Drive Technology in Geelong.
If the engineering angle Baz offered above doesn't pan out maybe call Multi Drive direct.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873484

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:26

Friday, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:26
Anyone who chose to challenge Enkleman
Would be brave an foolish his reputation is set in concrete he was involved in many modifications to ambulances many yrs ago an
never questioned
Cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 603849

Sponsored Links