Youi Insurance - Worth A Read

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 08:28
ThreadID: 133340 Views:5454 Replies:10 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Given insurance is always topical on EO, and following on from a recent thread on the company, I thought this article in today's SMH might be of interest - perhaps there might be some EO followers who have experienced similar...

Youi deny the claims...

Youi - SMH Article...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 08:40

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 08:40
Hi Baz

Of course they are going to deny it. Why would someone even give them their credit card details just to get a quote.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 603964

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 09:11

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 09:11
Does seem odd, and I would not give as credit card under those circumstances.

Mind you, I'm not passing any judgement either way here, but it is topical and reason why I have posted. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 873606

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 13:49

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 13:49
There's going to be a lot more uncovered about Youi scamming once the manure really hits the fan, and the ACCC starts getting thousands of witnesses reporting Youi's unethical corporate behaviour.

So many of these companies are toxic to work for - but the employees get sucked into the "team-player" crap, and become fearful of dobbing in managers and others behaving unethically and making them carry out unethical and illegal treatment of clients.

If an employee becomes a whistleblower, it can make their life hell, as the company they left, ensures that their reputation is smeared to other potential employers, and it becomes impossible to find a job.

Whistleblowers need all the protection they deserve, if they have genuine claims of corporate misbehaviour.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 873612

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 09:28

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 09:28
I have been a policy holder of Youi products for some years. I have found them very efficient in 2 claims I made and no problems cancelling policies. All there policies have a 14 day cooling off period and the policy document is emailed to me withing minutes, usually the operator says "I have sent the document to you to read through and ensure it is correct."
If someone only discovered when looking at bank statement would be a worry.

It was interesting that when I cancelled a policy I asked the person (same person handles all our policies) if he lost commission with the cancelled policy but he claimed he did not get any commission and it made no difference to him if we opened a new one or cancelled.

Certainly Youi policies can have a lot of exclusions, hence you only pay for what you want covered. This how they can be cheaper. Need to make sure every extra on a car is listed if you want it covered.

this is my experience and it has saved me several thousand dollars a year.

Neil
AnswerID: 603966

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 00:56

Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 00:56
Haha, they all tell you that they generously give you a 14 day cooling off period.
But its a legislative requirement!
FollowupID: 873708

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 10:57

Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 10:57
But Youi are not cheaper even with all their exclusions and crap they go through.
FollowupID: 873718

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 11:23

Friday, Sep 02, 2016 at 11:23
And when you get a lot of exclusions in a policy, that's when you need your lawyer with you, when you make a claim.

The company will then produce the flimsiest excuse to avoid a payout - because the policy is priced to avoid paying out, in all but a very limited and picky set of circumstances.

What about the "kms travelled annually" exclusion? Some of these policies are based on travelling no more than 10,000kms a year.
So your odometer shows 10,001kms for the past year, and they promptly have an "out" to avoid a payout.

Even worse, the odometer distance is disputed, and the company says they are not paying out because they believe you've exceeded the allowed km limit - but you claim you have proof you haven't.

You produce your proof, but the company still refuses to acknowledge it - so then, you're off to the insurance ombudsman - or the courts - to try and get what you believe is rightfully yours.

It's time-consuming, it's stressful, and it's something you don't need when you are already under stress from an insurance event.
Most insurance events involve police inquiries, and you being investigated, to see if you caused the event, and whether there is reason to lay charges.

95% of the people in this world have never read their Product Disclosure Statement right through - and of the 5% that have - only 1% fully grasp the legal terms and conditions that apply to every insurance event.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 873719

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 09:36

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 09:36
I have tried to get "on line" quotes from them a couple of times and gave up when they wanted too much personal information for just a quote - like banking details.

I did not proceed as I became suspicious - it seems correctly.
AnswerID: 603967

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 14:51

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 14:51
Ditto Garry - I gave up trying to get an on-line comparison quote from YOUI when the additional info got too invasive for my liking. Haven't found that with "normal" (bricks and mortar) companies' on-line quoting. Call me paranoid if you like ...
FollowupID: 873615

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:44

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:44
"We Get You"......... Not bl00dy likely, Smarmy Pants!
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 603970

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:13

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:13
I wonder if the I in YOUI stands for Idiot
AnswerID: 603971

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 14:49

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 14:49
This started in NZ and they are much deeper in the doo doo over there
Youi in the Poo
Even Deeper in it
AnswerID: 603975

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 06:55

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 06:55
Obviously corporate practice/policy then as that's the way they seem to operate here as well.
FollowupID: 873634

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 14:23

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 14:23
I tried to get a quote from them on line and they, A couldnt do it on line as its a highly optioned Euro car and B they wanted my credit card details before telling me the cost. I refused and went elsewhere. Thank goodness
FollowupID: 873653

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 15:54

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 15:54
I always smelt a rat with them. The short ponsing smooth talking tv ad bloke rang alarm bells.!!!!
AnswerID: 603976

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 17:08

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 17:08
As with the earlier thread I have had a great experience with YOUI.

With reference to the specific charges, I have never had a problem.

I had home insurance with them but when their policy became too expensive "because they ask more questions" I switched to another company and had no problem with having them stop taking premiums.

Similarly I tried a quote for Camper Trailer insurance and they were too expensive and had no experience of them taking money unauthorised.

I find that you have to call them on policy renewal , you just don't take what is on the form. I have been given further discounts every time I have rung .

Their policies are HUNDREDS cheaper than the next cheapest and my claim experience is terrific.
Go Figure as they say.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 603977

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 17:47

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 17:47
The standard rule applies with the cost of anything. If you're getting the products LOTS cheaper - where are they saving the money?

With insurance companies, it is saved by refusing payouts on claims by picking up on the fine print in the policy T&C's and using them to avoid a payout.

Did you see the bloke on Product Review whose house burnt down - and it was full of asbestos that ended up blowing around - and he got sick of waiting for the insurance company to get off their a*** and actually do something.

So he organised for the asbestos removal at his own cost (as he was worried about the neighbours health as well as his own property health) - and the insurance company promptly refused to pay out, citing "lack of disclosure" as the reason.

Not only do you have to provide full disclosure, prior to taking out a policy - as well as providing it, during the currency of the policy - you also have to provide full disclosure of your actions, during an event claim!

Failure to tell the insurance company he was cleaning up the asbestos himself after the fire, amounted to "lack of disclosure", according to the company.

They really are totally lawyer-driven - and most people are unaware of what they are up against, when they make a claim.
They appoint assessors who have only one aim - to either avoid a payout or minimise the payout, to only a portion of what you are seeking.

Stepdaughter had her Outback stolen and trashed and written off, by the (uninvited guest) druggie son of the woman she engaged to house-sit for her.

The company involved (Progressive) appointed an Indian woman assessor who made every attempt possible to make SD look like she was a criminal who organised the car theft.

They refused to pay market value, they stuffed her around for nearly 8 weeks, with delays, abusive interrogation, and other stunts - until SD went to the Insurance Ombudsman - because she's right up with corporate scams and stunts, and won't take any s*** from anyone.

She had her payout in 2 days after she went to the Ombudsman.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 873618

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 09:50

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 09:50
I reckon that there are always 2 sides to every story and maybe 3!

It seems to me that I and another poster are the only ones with actual first hand experience with YOUI.

Reports in the SMH I would deem to be of limited reliability.

But once a dog has been given a bad name it sticks in the twittersphere.
Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 873640

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 15:02

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 15:02
Trying to get a quote and them badgering for a month after is first hand experience.
FollowupID: 873656

Follow Up By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 22:31

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2016 at 22:31
I tried for a quote for home insurance with them, as soon as
i put in my area code [4870] they said they could not my address listed. My street has been here for over 50 years
Love the bush

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 873668

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 02:22

Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 02:22
I'm with Phil, the SMH is a Fairfax publication.
Fairfax are junk journalism at its best, don't believe the crap they write.
Anything for a clickbait headline.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873670

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 10:32

Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 10:32
So what has happened in New Zealand where they are being charged with crimes is just a Clickbait headline????

Pull your head out of where its stuck
FollowupID: 873681

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 11:18

Thursday, Sep 01, 2016 at 11:18
I agree, Fairfax produce some of the worst junk journalism around.

Fairfax insinuated that the ASIC was investigating Youi. I can find no record of any ASIC investigation into Youi being commenced - although ASIC have a record of moving like treacle in Winter.

There is a record on the ASIC site of them revving up SIX insurance companies in Nov 2015, for indulging in the dubious tactic of automatic insurance renewal, which outraged many customers. Youi was one of the 6 companies involved.

ASIC investigation - automatic insurance renewals

However, what I have found, is if you search "ACCC Youi", you immediately come across (right at the top of the page), an aggressive refutation by Youi, of any wrongdoing by them.
They are rightfully more fearful of the ACCC, who look after consumers interests better, because they are there to enforce Consumer Law.

Youi refutation of wrongdoing

The very fact that this refutation comes up first in a Google search, is an indication of Google hit-ranking manipulation, and shows Youi is very aggressive, and good at internet search results manipulation.

Secondly - and I find this more concerning - I've found that on Product Review, Youi car insurance reviews show signs of review manipulation, or "site bombing", by Youi operatives, to show Youi car insurance in a better light.

Product Review is quite a good site and generally gives honest reviews by genuine people. However, like all review sites, it's open to manipulation.

They try to get around this by asking people to show scanned copies of receipts, showing genuine dealings with the company concerned.
This is good, and these reviews are marked as "verified".

The Youi car insurance reviews on Product Review show extensive signs of manipulation by multiples of 5 star reviews. There are very few verified Youi reviews.

I'm not the only one suspicious of the large number of glowing Youi reviews. Others have made comments about the huge number of Youi 5 star reviews, that are so similar in the way they are written, you can see they are fake.

Now, very few people give any insurance company 5 stars in a review - so just reading through all those 5 star reviews gives me the distinct impression that Youi has set out to manipulate reviews to put them in a more favourable light.

Youi are also making a point of responding to large numbers of Product Review reviews - thus showing they have a keen interest in the site.
Funnily enough, they have not responded to any 5 star review - which you'd expect when a company gets a glowing review.

Youi is suspiciously showing many of the classic signs of corporate deviousness and manipulation.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 873684

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 17:41

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 17:41
I would not knock the entire company just because a few over ambitious staff did the wrong thing.
I have nothing but praise for Youi at this time of my life, but of course, it could change in the future.
There are a lot of other instutions I would condemn before them, like the banks and such.

I don't like the Harvey Norman adds either but I still buy stuff from them, if the price is right.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers
AnswerID: 603979

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 18:07

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 18:07
"I would not knock the entire company just because a few over ambitious staff did the wrong thing."

I would.

You're oversimplifying it. These "sales techniques" were going on for at least 2 years before the whistle was blown. The company management knew it - how could they not?

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 873620

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 18:34

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 at 18:34
It's a standard corporate lying technique to blame "a few rogue employees", when the companys cover is blown.

The thing is - whether the taught sales techniques were honest and ethical, and whether they involved teaching devious sales behaviour to the employees.

The evidence from many employees and customers appears to be, that the sales techniques were dishonest and unethical, and devious sales behaviour was taught, as part of the company approach.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 873623

Reply By: Genny - Saturday, Sep 03, 2016 at 22:05

Saturday, Sep 03, 2016 at 22:05
With great amusement, I noted a Youi ad at the top of the forum before opening this.
AnswerID: 604081

Sponsored Links