Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller USA model

Submitted: Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 10:44
ThreadID: 133383 Views:6470 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all . A mate of mine purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller while he was in America for his camper trailer. What he didn't know was when he cut off the usa plug is that the American controller uses the brake light and blinkers on the same circuit, the same as there vehicles over there. Basically the controller is mounted on the drawbar and its connector plugs into the vehicles trailer connection then the plug from the trailer plugs into the box.
Im wondering if there is a way around to connect blinkers and brake separately
Pin No. Function USA
1 Common Ground
2 Electric Brake
3 Tail & License
4 Battery Charge
5 Left Stop & Turn
6 Right Stop & Turn
7 Center Auxiliary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 10:50

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 10:50
Confused. Whats the wireless bit?

Maybe this might help - https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-tekonsha-trailer-mount-brake-controller-90250.aspx
AnswerID: 604125

Follow Up By: maurice b - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 10:52

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 10:52
Thanks Malcom .This will help.http://www.tekonsha.com/products/brake-controllers/proportional-controllers/prodigy-rf/TzaIxkVx1cI5XOy!osRB508pViEKmVBf
FollowupID: 873823

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 12:56

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 12:56
Not sure if it was this model but there was a unit similar to this being discussed on a van forum and they were getting rid if it because it was illegal in Australia.
Were most dissappointed at that.
Before fitting it I would find out if that is a fact.
Was a while ago and as I no longer bother with that forum I cant find it for you
Look here
Found this on differentforum
"Anyone thinking of using the Tekonsha RF in australia really needs to think about what they are doing i have already been down that road and was contacted by tekonsha aus there statement was that there is no warranty for this unit in aus they have had several issues with this unit in aus and the unit is not covered nor reccomended by ADR's here in australia and in event of an accident your insurance will be null and void something to think about just in case it all goes very wrong one day "
AnswerID: 604126

Follow Up By: Member - Ian T6 - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 17:40

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 17:40
Unless it is specfically authorized by ACMA for use in Australia (indicated by a tick on the device) any device transmitting is illegal. If not declared to customs on entry to Australia it is smuggled goods.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 873833

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 20:38

Monday, Sep 05, 2016 at 20:38
Seems an overkill for a camper trailer anyway Would have been a lot cheaper and just as effective to buy a Prodigy for about $125 on Ebay and not have any legality problems and it would all fit in an hour.
The Yanks use single filament bulbs for those turn lights and need a control box that suits them. So you will have to jerry up some wiring to use that thing.
FollowupID: 873837

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 14:40

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 14:40
The plug may the least of his problems.

US typically uses 315Mhz which is an unlicenced frequency there. However in Australia you're not permitted to use 315Mhz devices. That is allocated to TV I think.

It could be that the brakes won't work reliably if that is the case.

If it uses 434Mhz then he will be fine. 915 Mhz is also a no no and used by Telstra, Optus and Vodafail.
AnswerID: 604149

Reply By: maurice b - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 18:45

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 18:45
Thanks all for the reply's . The only function the remote serves it to activate the brakes (override). It appears the stop/turn left and right cant be isolated, unless its possible this unit may be useless on Aus Vehicles as we use separate bulbs for brake and turn signal. Cheers.
AnswerID: 604158

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 19:14

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2016 at 19:14
It has been proved to not only be inoperable but illegal. With lots of things from overeseas it pays to research legality etc before buying This thing would be $400AU and is mainly designed for people who have several different vehicles that use the one trailer.

Your terminology may be incorrect as override brakes are activated by the momentum of the trailer pushing against a spring and lever and activating the brakes and a controller is not needed.

Maybe you mean emergency braking and if so by the time you find the remote it will be all over rover.
FollowupID: 873858

Reply By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 19:26

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 19:26
I am guessing this unit doesn't have australian standards C tick approval either -everything electronic in Australia has to be proved not to be able of causing interference to another source. So thats for starters you biggest hurdle after that then wiring issues which then need electronics engineer signoff to be "approved" for use in Australia as its modification to original unit.

personally I would be very wary of purchasing stuff from overseas -usually based on price alone, classic example father purchased a video recorder from usa as it was far cheaper than Australian version - problem is they use different format pal vs ntsc so can he replay his recording not at all nor has any multimedia player with multi formats able to assist either
AnswerID: 604309

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 21:23

Sunday, Sep 11, 2016 at 21:23
As said it pays to do research first I thought everyone knew about that Obviously not. It would also be 110V which doesnt work too well here
However I have 2 video cameras bought in the USA and the films off them play fine in any country I have been in. They also play fine on my Samsung TV.
Despite being digital they still use the NTSC signal Format according to their specs
Any decent TV will play NTSC nowadays but an NTSC video player wont play PAL tapes or vice versa You used to be able to buy dual format players but dont know about now.
FollowupID: 874047

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 00:20

Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 00:20
Don't purchase any radio equipment from overseas to use in Australia. The radio spectrum is used differently here to what it is overseas. You are likely to get interference from licensed operators or you are likely to interfere with licensed operators because the frequencies your device works on will be allocated to other services here. If you have any of this unauthorised equipment I suggest you destroy it. If you cause interference there are heavy penalties. Penalties can be up to 2 years gaol if the interference is severe.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 604313

Sponsored Links