Tidying up the electrics

Submitted: Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 14:14
ThreadID: 133406 Views:3704 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, I'm after some ideas on how to efficiently deal with the wiring in the front box of my camper. I have started with a basic set up and after a few more trips away , when I think I'm happy with what I've got, I'd like to tidy things up. Currently I have two deep cycle batteries and each has three sets of wires joined to them via ring fittings onto the terminals. I was thinking of having one main wire from battery to say a bus board/fuse block/ circuit breaker box or similar ( one for each battery). I have two solar controllers and two battery chargers in there as well. I wish to keep the batteries entirely separate. I have a rough idea but not the specifics. Anyone have some suggestions or pictures I'm all ears. Thanks doc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Witi Repartee - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 18:56

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 18:56
Not sure if you've explored this forum yet. Go to the menu at t h e top of the page. Hit it...look for articles, there is a good powet and electrical section. It may have some answers for you or throw up some different angles for you.
AnswerID: 604251

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:43

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:43
You could start with a couple of these boxes from Jaycar and while there talk to them about crimp tools and connectors, cable ties and cable protection such as spiral wrap. They may even point youi at some boxes for 12V circuit breakers instead of fuses.

On the other hand get an auto electrician to do it for you and maybe even install some Redarc or whatever equipment to manage the solar and generator etc roles.

Me! What would I do? Even though I was an electronics technician (plus higher career roles) for 50 years, I would get an auto electrician to do it for me. They know the newfangled parts, rules and regulations etc. I don't. That's to cover me for insurance and registration as well.

Phil

Circuit Fuse Box 6 Way 12 v or 24 v 100 amp
AnswerID: 604255

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:02

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:02
Ha ha great minds think alike. Just got back from jaycar and all the other battery and auto outlets. Did get myself a decent set of crimpers from jaycar. Best idea for the cabling seems to be Narva 12 way fuse block
This one has facility for two separate power inputs and incorporates the negative bus in it . All I would need to do is work a way to switch between the battery in use- I think. Can get on eBay for $70. Don't trust auto elecs - had some really shonky stuff done in the past which has put me off. Doc
FollowupID: 873995

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:58

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:58
I have an auto electrician that I would swear by.

That's still a little different to what i suggested but if the shoe fits. . . . . .

I have done the second accessory fusing a little different. All 4WD and camping stuff including fog lights and compressor are wired to the box shown below.

Phil

FollowupID: 873996

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 21:33

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 21:33
Did you need a relay for the compressor?doc
FollowupID: 873998

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 22:21

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 22:21
Yes. It's down the rear with the compressor in a void beside the drawer set. Those relays are for lights etc.

Phil
FollowupID: 874000

Reply By: oz doc - Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:15

Friday, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:15
Also if anyone has a good idea for mounting a sheet of ply along the back of the toolbox for me to attach things to - I'd surely be grateful. Doc
AnswerID: 604256

Reply By: Alfromoz - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 06:29

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 06:29
Hi, I agree with the slack work by auto elects I've seen. I used to be a Waco service agent and had a caravan pull in one day from vic (I'm in qld)with a fridge not running properly. The auto elec did a flimsy job of crimping and had a few dicky joints, so they failed after 3 days on the road.
I'm a firm believer in crimping and soldering most connectors. It stands up to diverse conditions much better. My opinion.
When I bought my new van and was plugging in the Anderson plug to drive off the lot, a wire came out of the Anderson plug. I said to the van yard maintenance guy that I suggest he solder them as well. I got a blank look in return. ??
An old dog for a hard road.....??
AnswerID: 604353

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 09:51

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 09:51
With all the hooha about crimping or soldering. What I have done generally is if using the small connectors (spades) I push the wire right through Crimp it and solder exposed end. That way it doesnt leave a hard end on the wire that can vibrate and break. For Anderson plugs I tin both the cable and the socket and use a really hot iron to melt the solder as the wire is inserted into the socket. Then make sure the cable on the vehicle is supported so the weight is not on the back of the solder.
Has worked for me for many years.

Worst thing to do is solder and then crimp it.
FollowupID: 874128

Sponsored Links