Article Comment: Portable Fridges

Ten months ago I purchased a Lumik portable fridge on Ebay. It worked well to start with but stopped cooling and kept running. I tried to contact the seller via BEbay but they would not respond to my enquiry. Even Ebay had no success in contacting them. The warranty is supposed to be for 12 months. Has anyone else had problems with this seller or has anyone else had any warranty success? Would appreciate any assistance here. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tazbaz - Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 09:51

Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 09:51
G'day Peter
I had a similar problem with an Ebay purchase a few years ago. Neither Ebay or PayPal would help, so I tracked down the seller through a few googles and the Australian Business Register, then contacted Consumer Affairs in the State where the seller was located. That fixed it.
EBay could not care a stuff!
AnswerID: 604318

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 12:57

Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 12:57
Hi Peter

Re your question: "Has anyone else had problems with this seller".

Ebay is not the seller and if you read the ebay conditions you will find that ebay is not the warrantee. It all goes back to the seller and what they state in the description.

What seller? You didn't give us the ebay seller's user id.

Phil
AnswerID: 604320

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 14:06

Monday, Sep 12, 2016 at 14:06
Just a warning and a bit of advice concerning fridges and stuff and Ebay.

It must be understood that there are a lot of people selling second and third string brand fridges ....... some of these represent good value, some are just rubbish.

Most 4wd accessory companies have their own brand fridges. There are some well known sellers either long established on line sellers with reputation or bricks and mortar stores. Even Jaycar sells fridges.

when buying on ebay you must remember there are things worth "taking a chance on", many of those items are inherantly reliable technolgies.
There are other things that are either, complex, expensive or fundamentally prone to failure, these are poor risks.

When buying a fridge it must be understood that even the best brands commonly have warranty issues or ligitimate wear and tear failures later in life.

Think about this when buying a fridge.
An Ebay barging may not be a bargin if there is not known good after sales service.

cheers
AnswerID: 604321

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 06:24

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 06:24
I agree.

I buy a LOT of my stuff through ebay, but NO WAY would I buy a fridge or anything else that is a big ticket item and *MAY* require a warranty claim.

For anything like a fridge, I'd rather pay a few bucks more and buy a good brand through a reputable dealer. Having said that, most (but not all) dealers will quickly offload you back to the manufacturer for any warranty claims.

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 874088

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:11

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:11
Yeah, if you're going to carry your fridge over a lot of rough- or off-road you need to be buying something with a proven track record in our conditions. Buy on price alone and you should expect to be disappointed.
FollowupID: 874094

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:09

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2016 at 23:09
AND if you are going to carry a complex electro-mechanical device such as a fridge over a lot of rough roads ...... faults and failures are reasonable to expect.

You want a device that can be reasonably be repaired.

Some cheap no name fridges, you may not be able to obtain even the simplest and most basic spare parts.

cheers
FollowupID: 874120

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 04:31

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 04:31
If you buy a proven brand or model line you need not *expect* a fault nor expect early failure. The track records of quality fridges show this.
FollowupID: 874126

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 14:46

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2016 at 14:46
Totally agree buying a good brand for a better chance of it being reliable and having a better chance of not breaking down. But you have to expect that there may be the odd problem that can come with mass produced items that have electrical components but the good thing is you have a better chance of getting it fixed if that product is sold Australia wide.

FollowupID: 874135

Sponsored Links