Pathfinder owners

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2004 at 23:05
ThreadID: 13349 Views:1888 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
To get rid of the tossers first, I've searched the archives.

What size tires you running on ya car?

Are you happy with the clearance of the car in general offroad touring stuff, nothin extreme, the GQ is for that.

245x70 std.. want bigger, but the 34in JTs wont fit without large amounts of angle grinder...

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2004 at 23:59

Monday, May 31, 2004 at 23:59
Maybe your expecting too much mate, after all most of the after market stuff for 4x4s is for the more off road popular vehicle's, hilux, navara, rodeo, maybe everyone thinks it's a take the kids to school type vehicle, i've only heard good things about the car except for fuel economy but if you want fuel economy you would buy a holden barina. just a thought.

Baz.
AnswerID: 61112

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 00:10

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 00:10
Did I miss something, or did ya reply to the wrong post?
FollowupID: 322690

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 09:11

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 09:11
No, my mate, you know the one that got the KA,he reconed he had trouble getting after maket stuff for his Pathy, maybe he was telling me porkies, should of said nothing, listening to the wrong people.

Baz.
FollowupID: 322707

Reply By: Member - PatC - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:25

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:25
The company I work for has two Pathfinders. Stock standard 2002 model ST's with standard rims and tyres. (I think they’re 245 x 70’s but neither are here at moment for me to check). Part of our work is on offshore islands, part in and around salt-marsh flats and some out in hilly rocky country. Both vehicles perform really well in all these types of terrain. Ground clearance, approach and departure angles, sand and mud work and rock climbing haven’t been an issue to date. None of the work we do is what I’d call extreme and I’d quiet happily take either one up the Cape York telegraph track exactly as they are. (Providing they didn't have a couple of hundred mils of rain of course)
AnswerID: 61141

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:30
Truckster, I've responded on your other thread, but for the record:

The std size is, as you know 245/70/16 on 7JJ rims.

I run 245/75/16 Cooper ST (30.5"), which are still legal and are the tyre of choice for those of the PCoA (and associates) that have "upgraded". Some have stuck with an AT in the stock size and I know of one fellow that has fitted 265/70/16. While they are technically illegal, we're only talking about a 2.5 mm diameter diff.

The 254/75 causes absolutely no problems with clearance or rubbing, etc with a stock suspension. I am told the same applies for the 265/70 but have my doubts about that in a full-lock, full articulation situation.

In terms of clearance, the Pathy is pretty standard for that class of vehicle but everything is well tucked - the rear diff pumpkin is the most vulnerable item. Add a proper bash plate (available from the PCoA) and you'll have all the protection you need. We've had Pathys on the CTL (Cabbage Tree Lane) track without problems but that is probably as extreme as a stock Pathy would go. It's a much more capable vehicle off-road than most people realise and a decent set of tyres with correct pressures makes a big difference.

Additionally, the aftermaket scene is starting to deliver products (except for snorkels) for the Pathy. You can now get front and rear diff lockers, rock-crawler gears, lifted suspension kits including longer travel struts (albeit limited to 50 mm).

Hope it helps.
AnswerID: 61153

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 18:58

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 18:58
There you go Truckster Rohan has given you the lot there. Now you can modify the pathy & take it & the GQ up to the high country in convoy
AnswerID: 61233

Sponsored Links