Scam Alert -

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 08:51
ThreadID: 133523 Views:3833 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a car listed for sale on Exploroz. I have just received an email about buying the car using known scam wording. Other sellers be aware. I can provide the
'buyers" name and email, both of which show up on Google as known scammers.

Kevin

"I will need your bank details and I will make the payment through paypal facility to your bank account,all I will need is your acct number,BSB number and acct name."
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 09:47

Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 09:47
I had a bundle of thing listed on ebay that were grabbed by the same person kell_dic. Slow paying and then asked for bank details as we are leaving Australia and I will pay direct to your bank or wording like that. No feedback as well in 5 or so years on eBay. Ha!!!. You have to be kidding!!!!

I immediately reported them to ebay and the listing fees were waived and all items were relisted free.

I do not accept direct payment for anything. Our bank details are never given unless we know the people on the "other" end.

We always use an intermediary like Paypal to hold the funds until all is good with the sale and then they pay us. The fee is worth it. A kind of insurance.

Or cash in the hand.

There are mongrels out there.

Phil
AnswerID: 604732

Follow Up By: Danna - Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 16:29

Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 16:29
Hi Phil
I went to bank just this Monday and there was this older lady complaining that she was robed for Au$1000,~ from someone
in USA. The robber somehow figured her password and bought
thru PayPal laptop. Of cause PayPal will give her re-fund,
but I gave her good simple tip.

Set-up PayPal with separate account of any other accounts. With this account get two Visa cards - main & supporting only for PayPal. Every time when you want to pay for something, transfer exact amount of $.
If there is no money in account they can’t take money from you.
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 874531

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 17:10

Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 17:10
No need.

Banks, Paypal and quite possibly other financial sites have systems where a number is added to the password every time you log in. The number appears random and changes all the time, it can come from a key generator device that you buy from them or even an SMS sent from the site. There may be other ways. No matter what your password is (even "password") the number, about 6 to 8 digits lone, always changes. A really hard system for the hackers to break.

I use the soft version where Paypal sends me an sms with the number. The system with a callback SMS is FREE!!!!! We also have bank accounts where in one case the bank calls us and in the other we have a small number generator that by some magical mathematical hoohaa stays in sync with the other end. It is NOT purely date or time based.

And how many times are we told to change our password and NOT to use any number etc connected to our personal biographic info. ie birthday, home address, age etc etc etc. Would you believe that "password" is still very popular. Amazing!!!

Sorry but I am not sympathetic to people who do not protect their financial accounts either on the internet, at a checkouts (ie let people see their pin) or even leaving their cards lie on a table at a Motel/Hotel.

I don't mean to offend anyone. But how many time do people have to be told that fire will burn them.

Phil
FollowupID: 874533

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 12:47

Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 12:47
Hi
That’s exactly why this is happening – false security!
To set-up the bank account with PayPal is different
than bank account security set-up.
I hope you understand difference.
HooRoo Dana
FollowupID: 874585

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 13:18

Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 13:18
Paypal and Ebay no longer have the number generator available.
My 10 year old one finally died and i dismantled it and put a new battery in it but it wouldnt work. Talked to Ebay about it and they said they no longer issue them and when they die they are finished with.

SMS is the only way now but is more secure as they cant pinch that and use as they could the token.
My two banks, one has a number generator which has to be used to login and also to make a payment. The other uses SMS. All good never been caught with any of them.

The number generators have a set of numbers programmed into them and it relates to its serial number when they send it to you. I used to see the same ones sometimes on the Ebay one

Gumtree is the worst place for scams and sellers advertising goods they havent got and dont send as seen on TV last night.
FollowupID: 874588

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 20:17

Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 20:17
Paypal has the SMS sytem just like you mentioned and we have anumber generator for one of the banks.

Not worried about ebay. There isn't any link to any bank in eBay. I have to go to paypal to actually pay ebay for any listing costs or fees. All eBay sales and purchases go through Paypal. Number generators were used on eBay until last month. All done in Paypal.

Gumtree was on current affair last night. Wouldn't touch them with a barge poll.

Safest is to not trust anyone. We don't do any direct debits (NONE) from the bank to pay anything. All done from home by us on the PC. I won't use Wave payments and always make sure that I get a receipt and acquit the Paypal and card statements.

Phil
FollowupID: 874593

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 20:28

Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 20:28
In fact, for that matter, I wouldn't even use a barge pole. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 874594

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 22:04

Saturday, Oct 01, 2016 at 22:04
Ebay payments go through Paypal because at present Ebay own it so they get fees from both on one sale or payment or both.

Yes forgot to say they now use SMS.

Did you know Paypal is the cheapest way to send money overseas. I send my kids $100 or so at Xmas and it only costs 50c would be $22 with a bank

Perhaps you mean equate the receipts as you may not be aquitted in court if they dont LOL
FollowupID: 874598

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 17:20

Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 17:20
I got similar via SMS, just ignore as they are fairly obvious.

"Is it still for sale - Email me details"...

If they were a real person they could read the details themselves - it is all there.

They just want an email address so they can send automated mumbo jumbo about their rich uncle's aunt who lives on the other side of the world and needs a TVAN...and somewhere along the way they will be trying to get their hand in your wallet.

You get the gist...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 604750

Reply By: Jarse - Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 18:32

Thursday, Sep 29, 2016 at 18:32
I use paypal to buy small items. When I sell large items I tell potential buyers I don't have paypal. That removes the risk of disputed sales and paypal holding onto MY money when the scammer disputes the transaction (which they will. That's how they scam you).
If I'm selling a car or camper, and the potential buyer can't be bothered spending a couple of dollars talking to me on the phone to negotiate, then I can't be bothered to sell it to them either.
For large transactions I will only go the old fashioned way: Cash, or bank cheque cleared into my account. Genuine buyers understand and accept that.
I recently sold my Vista RV. The buyers came from interstate, but understood when i explained that I needed cleared funds before I was prepared to hand the goods over.
AnswerID: 604752

Sponsored Links