Where are the waypoints?

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 04, 2016 at 19:50
ThreadID: 133557 Views:4315 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
A question for the Oziexplorer gurus. I have a Samsung 8 in tablet running Ozi Explorer android version 1.27. Lately I have started losing my waypoints from the tablet. My older waypoints remain on the tablet, for example my last short trip the waypoints for that trip have disappeared. I have looked at all the files etc but with no success at finding these waypoints
Would any one have any clue to what is happening.? I have been informed that this has now happened to another similar unit.

Thanks Sludgie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2016 at 20:19

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2016 at 20:19
Hi Sludgie

One would presume that you are saving them to a new file for each trip? In the 'Save" button, save your waypoint list to a folder created for that trip. Before you overbite the old list, make sure that it contains all your waypoints and the new list is the same, with the exception of newly added Waypoints.

Not sure if your Samsung has a USB port, but if it does, make sure that you save a backup into a USB drive everyday that you create the latest file update, as if for some very strange reason they are disappearing, your saved copy will always be complete and you can then transfer the saved files to be opened on other OxiExplorer items.

Interesting to hear what others have to say.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 604896

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 08:32

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 08:32
Hi Stephen,I do save into a new data file both waypoints and track files and normally back up when at home. The latest track file that has not been put into a new file still remains on the system just not the waypoints. I will be driving ,marking logging and noting to make sure it is not an error on my behalf and will follow up with a solution I hope.

Thanks Sludgie
FollowupID: 874722

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2016 at 21:36

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2016 at 21:36
Hello

Bit hard to figure out but...only advice at this point I can provide is to make sure you have the latest Android version of OziExplorer installed (V 1.28). A recent (a few months ago) update to Android caused some issues with data storage on the SD card (among other things).

When working correctly (on default settings) the waypoint file you had opened last should re-open when you start OziExlorer (Android) again. Any new waypoints you create during any session should be saved automatically to this file even if you subsequently turn off Ozi or your tablet. Save the loaded file ("export" in file menu) to a "proper" ozi wpt file for use on PC version and to create files for specific trips if wanted.

Also be aware that some advice you receive on the forum may be from Ozi PC or CE users who dont use the Android version. As as a consequence they may provide some confusing advice, given they may not be aware of some idiosyncrasies of the program specific to the Android version.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 604898

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 08:21

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 08:21
Thanks for your input. All the software for the android and Ozi is up to date and all track files and previously saved way points are still in the system. I am still at a loss to work out how or when I lost this last lot of way points as the track file is still there.
Possibly operator error. If/when I solve this I will let you know the answer.

Regards Sludgie
FollowupID: 874720

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Oct 04, 2016 at 23:09

Tuesday, Oct 04, 2016 at 23:09
Hi
Maybe saved as*.wba
If so export to *.wpt

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 604904

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2016 at 01:12

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2016 at 01:12
Hi

I may have lost the plot but to export waypoints to wpt format the wba file would need to be open and visible in Ozi. ...so the waypoints wouldn't be "lost" in the first place.

I have no idea what issue is affecting the OP....you may however be on the right track. All visible waypoints in Ozi android are saved in a single wba file that opens by default on start up. If this file is deleted or not in current data file path then unsaved waypoints may become "lost". You can not however open random wba files ....only one allowed as far as I can figure so if you found a "lost" wba file you would need to replace the existing default one for it to open....if you know what I mean.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874690

Reply By: maurice b - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2016 at 00:05

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2016 at 00:05
When you create a w/p by default it is automaticly save to the data folder that is set by default to the internal device folder Oziexplorer/Data, often if you change this default path you will lose some or all w/ps/ tracklogs. What is you data file path? have you changed it? If so reconfigure back to default /storage/emulated/0/oziexplorer/Data . I also have a galaxy 8 have no problems but rooted running cyangenmod 4.4.4 Nightly. If no success save your 1.27 version apk file as it's no long available by using App backup and restore from google play then uninstall ozi and start from scratch. If maps are on external sd they won,t be deleted. if internal they will be. Im not sure if the new 1.28 will allow maps to be read from external sd.The reason why you should save the 1.27 apk file
AnswerID: 604906

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2016 at 00:53

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2016 at 00:53
Hi

V1.28 can access maps from external sd.

Cheers Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874689

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 08:26

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 08:26
Hi Maurice, all software and file paths are correct. All my older waypoints and track files including present track files are there just not the latest waypoints.
It is time to drive around and note everything that happens to work out the problem.

Regards and thanks for your reply
Sludgie
FollowupID: 874721

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Oct 05, 2016 at 09:47

Wednesday, Oct 05, 2016 at 09:47
Hello

Just to assist everyone in figuring out what is going on, can you elaborate on your data management methods?

Are you saving (exporting) waypoints for each trip as a wpt file into the default data path? If not what are you doing?

Are these the files that are "missing? If not which files are going MIA?

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 604910

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 15:54

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 15:54
Wasn't there a problem with Ozi and writing to certain Android folders? I remember it in the past. Maybe it can't actually write to the folder? Just throwing it out there.
AnswerID: 604946

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 16:16

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 16:16
Yes - that's what I suggested in my post. An updated version of Android OS (kit kat) prevented access to SD card by certain Apps. I dont think it is now a problem with newer versions of Ozi Android (1.24+) or Android 6 ...though Android 6 cause another issue by changing the name of the SD card so that Ozi data paths were wrong.

If you update to Ozi Android 1.28 I think all problems are solved or at least you are notified (by way of a screen message) if data paths are wrong/not working.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874730

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 19:14

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 19:14
Greg on a recent trip away with Sludgie (the OP), I lost all my maps on my Samsung tablet, couldn't for the life of me figure out why. When I got home I discovered that the map configuration route was reading from SD0 and not SD Ext. I have no idea how this happened and when I reconfigured all was fine again.

Damned annoying to say the least.

cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874731

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 19:18

Thursday, Oct 06, 2016 at 19:18
The joys of modern technology.

Keeps you on your toes if nothing else :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 874732

Sponsored Links