NRMA ROADSIDE SERVICE - ARE YOU COVERED

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 14:13
ThreadID: 13361 Views:5996 Replies:14 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We all know that yotas and patrols and discos don't break down but just in case some of us have NRMA membership to cover us for those out of the way places right? Well the real answer to that is maybe - especially if your vehicle needs to be towed. The NRMA member's rules, among other things, state: " towing will be provided for all types of (private/recreational) motor vehicles which do not exceed 2.5 tonnes gross weight. The gross weight of most typical 4WDs will be well above that. For example the standard LR Discovery tdi has a gross weight of 2.72 tonnes. So it might be worth your while to check with NRMA - assuming that you are a member of course - to see if you are covered for towing in the unlikely event that your LC 100 blows a diff, or you Series II 3.0ltr Patrol blows an engine.
Good lunck.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NathanK - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 14:39

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 14:39
thanks for that - while we don't have that here in WA, i'll be ringing the RAC to check if any limits like that apply to my membership here!

cheers
nathan
AnswerID: 61178

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 14:46
Yeah Thanks for that bit of info. I'm departing on a 24 day trip next saturday so I will check with THEM before I go. It will be interesting to get theuir responce to a 2.8 tonne Troopy!!!!!!

Regards jeff
AnswerID: 61181

Reply By: Rosscoe - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 15:22

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 15:22
I've been meaning to check my cover for a while. Your post has prompted me to do it.
As part of my new vehicle purchase I have "Mitsubishi Roadside Assist" (No Pajero comments please!)

Mitsubishi simply subcontract this work to the respective state auto organisations of their choice.

So I've bought a 4WD but the roadside assist only applies where I can take a conventional 2WD vehicle. What do the NRMA and the like say????

Here's an extract from their policy.

3. TRAFFICABLE ROADS
Mitsubishi Diamond Roadside Assist will only be provided to vehicles disabled on constructed roads or driveways that are legally trafficable by conventional two wheel drive vehicles and/or towing/recovery vehicles (where required).

4. VEHICLE RESCUE
Where the vehicle becomes disabled off a legally trafficable road such as on beaches, in fields or in creek beds, etc., vehicle rescue may be arranged at the driver's expense and at the discretion of the Service Provider.
AnswerID: 61188

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 15:42

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 15:42
Yep. NRMA will only provide roadside assist on roads which are leagally trafficable and safely accessible by conventional 2-wheel drive vehicles.

Just as well Pajeros don't breakdown either!!!!!!
FollowupID: 322756

Follow Up By: Tim - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 20:52

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 20:52
Well it appears NRMA must actually have a heart compared to some other insurance companies. I had them attend a property I was bogged in cotton country central NSW and they were quite happy to come and give me a hand even though I was a good 2 hour return trip from the NRMA rep on a Saturday night.
Tim
FollowupID: 322790

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 16:51

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 16:51
By coincidence received our renewal today and for RAA PLUS in SA in the fine print at the bottom of the page " Vehicles weighting up to 4 tonnes are covered by RAA PLUS " , up to 20ks in metro, and up to 100ks back to nearest available depot in the country.
AnswerID: 61205

Follow Up By: StephenF - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 22:19
Steve,

Are you sure about that? My last RAA Plus info said that 2 tonnes was the towing limit, and that's what the RAA website still says. Maybe they've just changed it - I hope so.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 322797

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 22:26

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 22:26
Hi Stephen
Yes its on the RAA PLUS brochure that came with our renewal today.
FollowupID: 322798

Reply By: GUNBUD (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:23

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:23
THANK FOR THAT INFO IT MAKE YOU WONDA WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR ?????
AnswerID: 61208

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:43
NRMA towed the Patrol & camper home when the motor went kput on Anzac w/end with no questions asked
AnswerID: 61213

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:46

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:46
racq towed our patrol and camper from landcruiser park to kilcoy no probs.
AnswerID: 61215

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:56

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:56
Honda HRV......... 1200 kilo's I think from memory........even with ALL my water containers.......
AnswerID: 61219

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 18:05

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 18:05
I've wondered the same thing too, most of the larger 4wd's, cruisers, patrols, landies etc are all over 2.5t. Creates another question too, how does your insurance company react to the vehicle being over GVM? Most when loaded for a weekend or trip would be well over gvm.
AnswerID: 61224

Reply By: Brad - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 19:46
I bought my first 4wd (a GQ) in 1992. Recently 'upgraded' (okay, I'm not trying to start an argument) to a LC100. NRMA were never able to satisfactorily answer my questions, like am I covered on a track thru a state forest (is that a gazetted road ?), or what happens if I slide off a gazetted road into a tree ? What about getting bogged at Rainbow beach with the tide coming in ?
So i went to Worldcare Assist who I've been with ever since. I've never needed to call them it must be said (neither Nissans or Toyos seem to break down, even though they're only petrols :-)). They tell me they will come and get me wherever I call them from - even from my satphone from the middle of the never-never (which if you are as hopelessly mechanical as I am is reassuring).
Interested if anyone as experience with this organization, good or bad ??
See https://www.mondial-assistance.com.au/sb01.aspx
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 61244

Follow Up By: Neil & Lynne - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 20:18

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 20:18
In my experience as an ex Worldcare service provider in Bunbury WA, I could not speak highly enough of their service and professionalism. Their staff are well trained in the art of dealing with stressed customers, who, in most cases, are very stressed.
As an example of the service provided, we were sent to Black Point, between Augusta and Walpole to recover a Jeep which had been drowned through driver error and transported it back to Bunbury.
Another case was a Patrol which had a gearbox problem near Warbeton Mission near the WA/SA border. A Tilt Tray truck and a 4x4 recovery vehicle were sent from Perth to collect it from the bush, the owner was dropped off in Kalgoorlie, at his request, while the vehicle was transported to Perth to be repaired under warranty. When repairs were complete the car was returned to its owner in a Kalgoorlie motel where he had been staying, all at Worldcare's expense.
Needless to say, a very happy customer.

Neil
FollowupID: 322787

Follow Up By: Neil & Lynne - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 20:26

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 20:26
In my experience as an ex Worldcare service provider in Bunbury WA, I could not speak highly enough of their service and professionalism. Their staff are well trained in the art of dealing with stressed customers, who, in most cases, are very stressed.
As an example of the service provided, we were sent to Black Point, between Augusta and Walpole to recover a Jeep which had been drowned through driver error and transported it back to Bunbury.
Another case was a Patrol which had a gearbox problem near Warbeton Mission near the WA/SA border. A Tilt Tray truck and a 4x4 recovery vehicle were sent from Perth to collect it from the bush, the owner was dropped off in Kalgoorlie, at his request, while the vehicle was transported to Perth to be repaired under warranty. When repairs were complete the car was returned to its owner in a Kalgoorlie motel where he had been staying, all at Worldcare's expense.
Needless to say, a very happy customer.

Neil
FollowupID: 322788

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 00:15

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 00:15
Brad that link does not have avaliable any info on roadside assist, do you have any other details for them ?
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 322803

Follow Up By: Brad - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:57

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 06:57
1-800-644-044
FollowupID: 322810

Reply By: bob - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 21:02
I drove 3000km through Vic from Adelaide in my 60 series LC. Blew the clutch in Mildura on my way home - local RACV rep recovered vehicle, towed it to his workshop, organised it to be trucked to my front door in Adelaide. The RAA (Plus) cover paid for my daughter's car's fuel to bring me home (she was, by coincidence, in Mildura at the time). LC arrived 6 days later. All paperwork completed by fax within an hour (on a Sat morning)
RACV branch manager in Mildura was fantastic.
And now for the best bit!!! For the first time in 39 years of driving I had joined the RAA. I had been a member of the RAA for 33 days!!!
AnswerID: 61256

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 00:12

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 00:12
All of this sounds fine if you are on a road able to handle 2wd vehicles if you are in an area requiring a 4wd recovery vehicle or special equipment, eg a winch your on your own.
Thats to say the state motoring authorities RACV, RACQ etc.
Have a read of the RACV serviceby laws here.

http://www.racv.com.au/care/ServicebyLaw_Sep2002.pdf

RACV and NRMA are the same organisations and if you have their top range care packages then they will use a reciprocal state organisation to handle the work.
But not if your off road including forest access tracks etc.

Have a read and then see if you can find the same on your respective motoring organisation's web site, I think you will find it's the same.

The World Care deal seems interesting, That web link listed in above post has no info avaliable on it.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 61299

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:39

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:39
It's good to see that most have had a positive experience when having to use roadside service for their fourby - but it is interesting when you ring NRMA to get confirmation that they will provide a tow if you break down the answer is always equivocal. When pushed for confirmation in writing the answer is "no - but just tell the serviceman that Jack Jones at roadside services said it was OK."
I'm not talking about being off road here guys - but on the black stuff.
From my perspective I never expected roadside service to provide a recovery service for me when off road - but I did expect to be able to get a tow once recovered to the bitumen. I would also expect, under the recripocal thing with other states, to be able to get the full range of roadside services on the Cape York Peninsular Development Rd (not the OTL mind you) - maybe the RAAs and RACs have a different policy than NRMA - might just pay me to join the other one when I cross the border (just kidding).
But it is difficult to get an proper understanding of what comprises the roadside service when the policy states one thing and the advisory service officer says don'
t worry about that we do make exception etc.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 61317

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 20:25

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 20:25
hmmmmmmmmmm all very interesting. I just had a run in with NRMA over membership, being rectified now but they overcharged me $117. I was keen to get their "roadside assistance for trailers" for $20 but after relentlessly interogating the counter staff I discovered that the restrictions on trailers means only small campers or box trailers or the like eg my caravan is more than 5.5 metres long. After checking my " Holden Assist Ultra" that came with my Jack new that caravans are covered in that. Also very strange that when I call for assistance with my car the NRMA wants to tow me to a repairer for very little reason " sorry mate you need a new fuel filter, this one is blocked"..Then when I called for assistance on the Jack, Brake lights not working fit new switch(under waranty) they did the work in my drive way and presumably sent the bill to Holden. Im not actually impressed with NRMA if you are in a town OK, but the priority of the NRMA has shifted to making money rather than servicing members.....
AnswerID: 61408

Sponsored Links