All Roads Open to Birdsville

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 16:01
ThreadID: 13366 Views:2164 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
There has been much confusion in the last couple of weeks regarding road closures around Birdsville. Had Paul our local copper in this morning and presently the Birdsville Track, the Windorah Road and the Bedourie Road are all open. The Birdsville Track from Mungerannie to Birdsville is open to 4WD only (though the food truck arrived on time on the weekend). The road to Big Red is also open via the wet weather track (ask locals for details).

The Tracks have been fairly cut up in places, making it a slower drive. We've already had one poor chap smash his bike and break a leg between Mungerannie & BV, so take it easy.

There has been some light rain today, but nothing to damage the roads thus far.

Anybody planning a trip in the next month or two is in for quite a sight with the wildflowers certain of a good showing. Some Cunningham's Birdflower have started budding already.

Oh, and don't forget over June-September we have fire spinning nightly and regular live music.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:36

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 17:36
I showed this to Tracy, and she said the section from my carport to the street is closed to Ian.

I obviously have not earned enough going away points yet.......
AnswerID: 61210

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 18:07

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 18:07
Thanks for the info Karsten, will be heading up there late August for the races. Looks like it could be quite spectacular (and still I have people at work saying "Why???")

As far as the roads go, would mud terrain tyres be OK, or should I be looking at a set of all terrains. I already have 5 x MT's so would only need a spare carcass. The tyre wear factor isn't an issue with me as the tyres are only about $160 each, versus a new set of rims, AT tyres with spare wheel + spare carcass at ~$1500+.

This is my first reaay "big" trip and I'm still working out what is needed.
AnswerID: 61225

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 18:47

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 18:47
Gary, don't go overboard buying new tyres. Here the locals all use skinny tyres and split rims usually. Depending on which road you are coming up on make sure you lower your tyre pressure a bit to allow some movement in the tyres when you get into Sturt's Stony Desert - high tyre pressure means that sharp rocks and gibbers puncture. Have a safe trip - see you at the races.
FollowupID: 322841

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 19:25

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 19:25
Karsten, Thanks for the info, will be up there in about a month so the flowers should be good still then. Will call in and look at the studio for sure.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 61241

Reply By: Member - Frank - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 21:39

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2004 at 21:39
Karsten

Thanks for the update I and two mates will be heading up for the races in september it seems from the treads we will have quite a few explora fans there I asume the date is set as in davids and michele link

loved your paintings in the action but all I could aford at the time was 75 for a membership it will certainly be interesting to see the faces that go with the dialog maybe we should talk to willem and get him up there he seems to know everyone
and could introduce us all

frank

see you then for recomendation on where to camp
AnswerID: 61262

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 14:41

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 14:41
To bad frank, I got 2 of them and intend putting them on the wall in the office so that I will have somthing to dream about.
Vince
FollowupID: 322828

Reply By: Karsten from Birdsville Studio - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:39

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 22:39
......And then it goes and rains south of Marree.....Oh, well. I'm sure it will only be a day or two before it is open. Atleast North & East are open with Dalhousie (West) to be reviewed on Monday.

Conditions have been perfect in Birdsville with the temperature steady around 20 degrees for the last 48 hours. The cloud has started breaking up. You can almost smell the wildflowers......
AnswerID: 61583

Sponsored Links