The GPS Icon is back - but maybe not in time for Xmas.

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 16:34
ThreadID: 133662 Views:4227 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Yep the Garmin 276c is about to be re-released after years of no equivalent product this GPS is coming back as it apparently fills a hole in the market for those who like to go further than check there "favourites".

It even retains the push button interface , unmatched sunlight readability and will be marine rated as well.

Mine and some of our friends have been using them for 12 years now, expecting them to die with no real replacement available but it looks the demand for professional grade product for 4wding is back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/featured-2/announcement-gpsmap-276cx/

Today we’re excited to announce the GPSMAP 276Cx, an upgraded reinvention of the classic 276C. Since its launch in 2004, the 276C has proven to be a versatile GPS navigator ready for land and sea. The 276Cx provides all the classic functionality of the original with all the latest technological improvements of the last decade in a device truly as unique as the customer who desires such performance. The 276Cx now features both GPS and GLONASS for better performance in heavy cover, optional external antenna support (sold separately), HotFix for faster satellite acquisition and wireless connectivity features1. There’s a larger, sunlight-readable 5-inch display, as well as a barometric altimeter and 3-axis compass, which were not present in the 276C. With a variety of powered mounting options, as well as Li-Ion and AA battery support, the GPSMAP 276Cx is ready to go above and beyond the legacy that began with the original 276C.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 18:22

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 18:22
Robin, you'd want to be a very loyal customer to pay $1200 plus $200 for maps that are otherwise free. Great for Marine but 4wding?? No thanks, I escaped that lock in ecosystem many years ago thank god.

Each to their own I suppose, but to pay that much and still have vector mapping with no access to Raster maps takes a dedicated customer.
AnswerID: 605404

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 21:21

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 21:21
Hi - it does take raster maps (like many Garmin GPS units) but you are limited to what formats you can use and size of map files is also restrictive. A paid subscription is also required for some maps (e.g. Garmins Birdseye and other JNX format maps).

But agree nonetheless..many better options for raster maps so either way its not a unit you would select if you want to use raster maps which many of us do.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 875161

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 22:24

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 22:24
Hi BooBook I replied earlier before Greg but The reply seems to have got lost.

Its clearly a top end product which most don't need , but its outstanding specs were so far ahead ten years ago that even today many of those really going off-road prefer them, even with no-mapping and utilize there own data as the consumer stuff doesn't really cut it.

The price seems high , but is less than what they were in 2004 .

Most GPSes are today mass market commodites and Garmin , no doubt feeling the squeeze on profit margins would have identified this gap and made a product they should be able to get a better return on.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875164

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 06:47

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 06:47
Yes, memories Robin. I initially went down the Magellan path. That company provided the worst support of just about any company I have seen. The Magellan colour and then the XL that I owned were buggy, incomplete and had awful mapping. The Garmin family was a mile better with better mapping in Australia.

$1000-1500 was the going rate for a top end GPS back then, but buying one of these is a bit like going back to a $2000. Apple II computer. Interesting historically but not very useful.
FollowupID: 875168

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 07:15

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 07:15
Ha I completely forgot that it could do raster mapping. I tried to use it so many years ago and it was never a great solution. lots of work and $$ for a below average result - for me anyway. Most of the content was USA centric.

Gawd the time I wasted on that stuff.....
FollowupID: 875169

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 10:50

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 10:50
Yes - I wasted a bit of time on getting raster maps working on various Garmin GPS units over the years as well. Actually did one the other day for a friend (small area saved as KMZ and placed in Custom Maps folder). Apparently it worked but was a small, low resolution image.

Based on previous experience, if you go too big (file size) the GPS will have spasms. I like "open" operating systems which allow use of whatever maps you want (in an easily accessible/shared/created image format e.g. ecw)...Garmin have shut the door, though it is slightly ajar just as a teaser.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 875172

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 20:24

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 20:24
Its about bl***y time. When my 276C fell off the balcony to the concrete below I thought it was cactus and brough a Garmin Montana which does a job but not as well as the 276C. With your help I got my 276C back to life so now run the 276C, the Montana, and OziExplorer on a 13.5" tablet.
Its hard to see me forking out $1200.00+ for the 276Cx as much as I would like one, besides there is no more room on the dash. If I had not brought the Montana I would definately have brought the 276Cx. Drats
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605410

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 22:34

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 22:34
Hi Chris

Yes our dashes do seem to be getting smaller don't they, still some things you just have to have !

Unlike you I have been lazy and held off hoping for a leading edge product , all the time hoping my 276c would keep going. Twelve years is a long time for this type of product , and if the new one is engineered as well it might just be the ticket - especially as I have many irreplaceable track plots optimized for this unit.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875165

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 00:20

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 00:20
Hi

As I suggest below the new 276 probably has little in common with the old unit.

For starters you will have to convert all your old 276's "irreplaceable track plots optimized for this unit" to GPX format (for the new 276) otherwise they will not be usable.

GPX file format has been around for years and years and is the standard universal format these days - good to see the "iconic 276" has finally caught up :)

Also if the track files you have were "optimized" for the old 276 they are probably not that good given the unit was limited to a total of 15 tracks @ 700 points each. Extremely poor compared to today's (and many years ago) standards. The new 276 unit will handle much more than this so if you have the original raw "un-optimized" tracks files suggest you use those.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 875167

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 09:51

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 09:51
Yes Greg , I was always concerned about locking into any ones special format , fortunately the 276 software allowed one to record and save 10,000 point tracks in GPX format and I always did this.

Pre 2000 of course the real limitation was U.S. degrading of all GPS accuracy and my first plots go back to now closed tracks from 1995 and I can "Improve" their accuracy as required and re-load them.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 875171

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 21:11

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016 at 21:11
Hi

A quick look would suggest the unit just has the same features available on a range of Garmin GPS units for years.. The use of the "276" name would appear to be a marketing ploy which has already sucked in at least one confused punter.

Sounds like a good unit nonetheless (as was the old 276 in its day).

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 605413

Reply By: maurice b - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 21:54

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 at 21:54
Although the 276c was a proven performer, but the best you will do for offroad maps with the new Garmin is Topo v5 and a few others which are not a touch on the Hema and geo maps. It's possible to run osm maps which are more detail in tracks if you know how to create the file. A top of the range nuvi will almost do the same job at a fraction of the cost for offroad and street.
AnswerID: 605439

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 19:38

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 19:38
GPSOZ Have a new version 8 of there Oztopo mapping software for Garmin products. Take a look
AnswerID: 605488

Sponsored Links