Isuzu space cab upgrade

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 27, 2016 at 07:40
ThreadID: 133671 Views:3637 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G,day there : I'm looking at an up grade of vehicles .
I have a trition 2006 T/D single cab now & are looking at 2012 Isuzu space cab T/diesel manual .

Triton 3.2 ~ 347 nm torque ~ 118 kw compared to Isuzu 380 nm torque /130 kw but to drive the Isuzu doesn't feel as gutsy ?? ..... but a lot more car like to drive .

I'm hoping for more interior room with the space cab , good 4wd capabilities ,
75% work vehicle on unsealed / paddocks roads aswel camping etc ,
tough , reliable , powerful .?

anyone got one & how to they find them ?
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Oct 27, 2016 at 08:16

Thursday, Oct 27, 2016 at 08:16
I've been in a couple on trips, the owners are happy but all comment on weak cv joints. I've had both of them say they wished they had bought the auto as well. My observations from other cars on the trips are that the traction control is not flash. I think it is a little peculiar and allows too much wheel spin before kicking in and my logic tells me this might be why the cv's break. Bullet proof engine and transmission by all accounts.
AnswerID: 605446

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Thursday, Oct 27, 2016 at 08:42

Thursday, Oct 27, 2016 at 08:42
The CV breakage is a very real issue , I have done 2 , I know of many others , it's not because of the TC , it's the Way the Diff is set behind the centre of the front wheels .
FollowupID: 875208

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:02

Thursday, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:02
CV breakage is about the only fault I have heard about from the D-Max / MUX - better to break a CV than to break a back ;=))

Do yourself a favour and take an auto for a drive, the box in the D-Max is the best i have ever had and would never ever consider going back to a manual box
FollowupID: 875209

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 06:48

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 06:48
Jackolux : I guess you mean by that "its set to far back" too great an angle ???
or just too weak ~ unusual that it wld be manufactured like that or have the vehicles been modified suspension ??
In what circumstance did you break them & did they snap right off ?

Luv to hear from anyone with option on the power & torque range compared to other vehicles in this range ......

auto v manual~ why do people think the auto wld be better ???

many thanks for reply's.....
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 875233

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 10:21

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 10:21
G'day Nick .
What I mean is that the diff is set back behind the centre of the front wheels , the CV's are running at a angle even when driving straight , this causes the angle when turning to be excessive , you only have to have a look , turn the steering on full lock , when on left lock its the left CV , right CV when on right lock .
This model is manufactured like that , I believe it is a stuff up by some design engineer , why its like that only they would know ,
My Dmax has a GVM upgrade but its only 15mm higher than a std Dmax , in the front .
I have had other IFS 4wd's and have never broken a CV .
The first CV came as a complete surprise , we were on a very easy track , I could not believe it could break so easily .
It was after the second CV , again on a track I have driven , countless times over the last 30+years , without any issues .
I decided to have a real good look to try and work out why it was happening .
I had also heard of many other Dmax owners breaking CV's .
Here is a link to my dash cam video , listen carefully you will hear it go crunch .
My son was driving , that's me getting out of the passenger side , I looked under the right side , I ahd my window up he had his down , I thought the crunch was on the drivers side , but it was the left CV .
You can hear me say at least we could easily get out of there , the first time the mate and I spent over 2 hours winching up to where we could , drive in 2wd , just as well I had fitted a winch a few days before .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUZaF-F51Yk

Photo CV full left lock ,
FollowupID: 875236

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:48

Saturday, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:48
what year / model is this vehicle ?
are the different models the same set up ?
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 875254

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Saturday, Oct 29, 2016 at 17:25

Saturday, Oct 29, 2016 at 17:25
It's the latest body shape Isuzu , mine is a Dec 14 build .
FollowupID: 875260

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 12:34

Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 12:34
You may find that the Isuzu makes its power in a different or narrower part of the rev range to what you are used to ....... check your power and torque curves.

My just need a change in driving stye.

cheers
AnswerID: 605520

Sponsored Links