New Hilux

Submitted: Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 00:18
ThreadID: 133674 Views:5555 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Found this article on the new Hilux. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/if-you-own-a-new-hilux-avoid-sudden-changes-of-direction-at-all-costs/
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 07:57

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 07:57
Hi Kumunara

Thanks for that very interesting link.

Looks like Mr Toyota needs to do some very serious homework.

It was very interesting to see the others cars doing it far better and safer as a higher speed.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605468

Reply By: Member - batsy - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 08:24

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 08:24
The tyre pressures look quite low from what I saw & the rim size is different to the previous test I believe but the video sure "looks" bad.
Observed a Nissan Navara (current model) go through a roundabout a couple of days ago with a canopy & a roof top tent on board & it looked every bit as bad as the Hilux in the video.
If the video clip is slowed it looks to me as if the wheel input by the driver is a little more "exaggerated" than others in the same clip.Also depends on what suspension set up/settings are on this vehicle as compared to the Australian product.

Cheers
batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 605471

Reply By: Tomdej - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 09:45

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 09:45
Batsy, I'm going to guess you're a Hilux owner. Read up on the Moose test. We are not talking about a single run with the driver trying to get the worst possible result. All of the other utes on the market now pass the Moose test but unfortunately the Hilux fails, just as it did 9 years ago.

Even if the pressures are not ideal for this run do Hilux owners check their pressures daily to ensure they can avoid an accident that would have been avoidable had they purchased a different ute?

If only Mr Toyota set up the stability control properly..... It can't be that hard, everyone other brand has managed it, together with help from Bosch.

AnswerID: 605473

Follow Up By: Member - batsy - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:09

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:09
Tomdej your comments are welcome however I would never suggest that you are an anti Hilux owner as I would most likely be just as incorrect as your guess that I am a Hilux owner. I am fully aware of the Moose Test, quite probably more familiar than most and many many more tests as well but as that was in a previous life and I will leave it there.
I was simply trying to say that one test is not the be all & end all of vehicle primary and or secondary safety and as I am sure you would agree all tests have a degree of latitude with their results.
I fully agree that the Moose Test on the Hilux looks bad but I for one wouldn't rule it off the list of potential Dual Cabs to purchase just on this test alone.
Again thank you for your comment. Forums like this would be uninformative and boring if all opinions were the same.

Cheers
batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 875238

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:14

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:14
I had the previous model Lux , every bit a bad in the Moose test .
In 200k , I never had a problem , just lucky there are no Moose around here I guess .
There are a hell of a lot of Hilux on the road , I haven't seen anymore of them upside down than anything else , actually I don't think I have seen any .
A lot of us do change our suspension, wheels / tyres , what would that do to the Moose test .
FollowupID: 875239

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:33

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:33
Been driving around the highways and byways of Oz for more years than I care to think about.
Luckily I haven't seen too many mooses (moosies??? whatever) wandering around yet.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 875240

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Oct 29, 2016 at 10:39

Saturday, Oct 29, 2016 at 10:39
Moose test / Elk test / Polar bear test / and here in OZ we need to call it the Roo / Camel / Emu / Brumby / Cow / Horse / Wedge Tailed Eagle eating roadkill Test …..
How often do we hear and see rollovers caused by inexperienced drivers swerving sharply to avoid a perceived on road hazards , and not just in a particular brand of ute or vehicle …. rollover in-between Jerico and Barky last Tue evening caused by swerve to avoid a Roo …. vehicle a Holden dunny door ergo all holdens bad at moose test ???
FollowupID: 875252

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:20

Friday, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:20
YEH its a beat up .... and its Europe.

If the Journos could not find something bad and sensational to say, they would not sell magazines or get click thru on their internet sites.

Guess why this is all over social media in sponsored pages.

So how is your "what ever you drive" going to behave once you have those bigger wheels, a suspension lift and all those accessories fitted ...... and a caravan hitched up?

cheers
AnswerID: 605480

Reply By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Oct 29, 2016 at 09:21

Saturday, Oct 29, 2016 at 09:21
They call moose elk in Sweden and the test is called the Elk Test. The new shape Jeep Grand Cherokee famously failed the Elk Test a few years ago causing them to say they were unsafe to drive. Well it's a number of years down the track now and I'm not aware of any safety issues with the Jeep GC. I've seen a couple of drivers flip cars doing virtually nothing and then as an eye witness, I've had to explain to the police what happened while thinking to myself "how did they possibly manage that?" Therefore, I reckon you could put those drivers in any car and they'd fail the Elk Test, so it means mothing.
AnswerID: 605492

Reply By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 19:49

Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 19:49
its only a european test -not something that is done in Australia. I can only presume this is as in Europe they aren't able to fix bullbars for animal protection.

As i was taught and it still applies today brake hard (not always possible every time i accept) and keep it straight sure you might stuff a front end to point of a write off but generally a frontal collision with animal is survivable a rollover is far more serious -i'm sure we all seen the videos of the caravan overtaking the b-double as a classic example of when things go wrong
AnswerID: 605533

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 21:11

Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 21:11
It has nothing to do with dodging moose, elk or even roos - it is a swerve test to test the stability of vehicles in violent manoeuvres . We do have them here - to engineer some type of mods here - often to do with modified suspension - you may be required to do a "moose" test.

The original A class Mercedes Benz had to be withdrawn from sale and reengineered because it failed the serve (moose) test.
FollowupID: 875288

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 21:11

Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 21:11
Garrycol beat me by a few minutes..... Really I think it is a test to see how good the stability control system is in new cars. Technically in the newer cars you are supposed to be able to throw them all over the place and the stability control is supposed to instantaneously react and save the day by using individual brake and throttle controls that keep the car upright and straight. It's why you have to turn stability control off on sand.
FollowupID: 875289

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 23:22

Sunday, Oct 30, 2016 at 23:22
At the moment several, maybe all, vehicle manufacturers are working on driverless technology.

Maybe the various organisations responsible for certifying or otherwise new vehicles world wide to be suitable to take to our roads have given up on trying to make the ubiquitous "nut holding the steering wheel" similarly suitable.

Take the human out of the equation and about 97% (at last count) of fatal accidents won't happen.

I wonder how a vehicle equipped with driverless technology would react if confronted with a moose, elk, kangaroo, cow, camel, bengal tiger or whatever suddenly stepping in front.
Or heaven forbid, Harold Scruby. (;=))
Would it slam on the brakes or violently swerve?

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 875290

Follow Up By: nickb - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2016 at 15:09

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2016 at 15:09
Forget that it's a moose, think of it as a child and the test becomes more relevant.
FollowupID: 875350

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2016 at 20:19

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2016 at 20:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYY7OfQ4-5A&sns=em

FollowupID: 875361

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2016 at 21:59

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2016 at 21:59
Think about a situation where a child, or adult, is likely to step out and you as a driver gets no warning.

Your driving along a city or suburban street, let's say a dual carriageway, although equally possibly a single lane.Your following the speed limit, 50 maybe 60 kph, and maybe a row of parked cars to your left and a few cars ,trucks, whatever in the RH lane.
Without warning a pedestrian steps out from between a couple of parked cars. No warning, no possibility of you seeing them before they are right in front of your car.

What are you going to do??

Try without making the situation more dramatic for effect by saying "a child".
I'm pretty sure many adults put themselves in just such a situation by inattention.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 875366

Reply By: Wayne B16 - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2016 at 13:26

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2016 at 13:26
Hi People, I have driven extensively in the bush a 81,85 and 2015 Hilux all new and the last one was a dual cab doing survey work using a chopper. We carted 3 full fuel drums around on some rough roads and tracks , never had a problem .Also owned a mitsubishi for 6 yrs mostly driving on the highway and it was great .In my experience with mates having other makes the Hilux up to 2015 is the most reliable and toughest of them all, if you are mainly driving on good roads some of the other makes are more comfortable and economicall. There is a very good reason most mining and exploration vehicles are toyota and if they weren,t so expensive we might all drive them in the bush.Yes I own a landcruiser 2001, one more bit , the early hiluxs were considered dangerous because of so many rollovers in Oz and I rolled one myself being young and stupidly driving too fast.Hope all of you who own other makes forgive and enjoy your car.
AnswerID: 605631

Sponsored Links