WA

Submitted: Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:19
ThreadID: 133698 Views:3390 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm leaving mid June 2017 to explore WA I'm thinking of going via Katherine then across and down. Would this be the best way to go???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:45

Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:45
Got no idea where you are starting from, but it matters little. That part of Australia is great, so it is as good as any to go via Katherine.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605547

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 11:56

Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 11:56
Probably the best way to go to catch the Wildflowers at their best as you head south through WA. August september is usually the best time for the wildflowers.
AnswerID: 605554

Follow Up By: Graeme G1 - Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 14:42

Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 14:42
Thank you I was hoping to be at Lake Argyle about the 8 July and go from there, thank you for your input Looking forward to the wild flowers
FollowupID: 875300

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 19:43

Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 19:43
It does depend a bit on rainfall etc re the wildflowers but the two years we did it we left broome around mid July and wandered south, it can be very spectacular.

If you're interested in wildflowers the Western Flora Caravan Park at Eneabba used to do wildflower walks. The owner then gave us all a lecture on the evolution and background to native plants, very interesting. Don't know if they still do this though
FollowupID: 875308

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 14:31

Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 14:31
Yep. You cant dilly dally too much in the north though. Ideally it would best to be leaving Broome mid June, depending on the weather. Ring ahead to small town tourist centres to get the good guff on wild flowers.
Dont miss Karijini .
enjoy.

Neil
AnswerID: 605562

Follow Up By: Graeme G1 - Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 14:47

Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 14:47
I'm not getting to Broome until mid July but I've been told it's still good for the wild flowers thank you
FollowupID: 875301

Reply By: Dean K3 - Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 20:08

Monday, Oct 31, 2016 at 20:08
wildflowers all depends on rainfall, was out landor/mt augustus in july doing survey (vollie) work, and not much happening. over at coast flowers going strong early august, all way along the coast with fields of everlastings along hwy edges.

had the ability to go again up landor/mt augustus mid sept and got back 2 weeks ago so away approx 1 month. flowers were plentiful around perenjori on way up, including leschnaultia wreath flower.

By time i was heading south along hwy from carnarvon all roadside everlasting were gone.

if running diesel try fill up at unmanned sites they usually fair bit cheaper than manned one even in towns -at time 2014 kununurra ord river co-op had diesel at 179.9 compared to 199.9 in town.

Few 24 hr overnight stops between towns to save bit of $$ between kununurra and broome -then same goes for broome to Pt hedland - no water supplies in broome for travelers either so may be good idea to be in caravan park to refill water tanks.

if you can do a scenic flight out of kununurra to bungle bungles and incorporate wolf creek crater in process cheaper from there than a local flight out of halls creek -just gives a different perspective to seeing from ground.
AnswerID: 605576

Reply By: Macquarie - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 11:12

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 11:12
We travelled south from Millstream National Park at the end of August this year and found masses of wildflowers all the way to Perth. The biggest concentration was around the Mulewa Region which we visited in mid September.
All the local tourist information centres have detailed knowledge of the best spots to visit and the WAust Parks and Wildlife publishes many informative books/pamphlets, one of the best being "Your Holiday Guide to Western Australia's Wildflowers". (probably available on line)
As others have said the annual rainfall is a major factor as to how many flowers appear. This year was well above average.
AnswerID: 605669

Sponsored Links