your thoughts about E.R.P.S

Theres lots of talk about it, but does electronic rust protection systems actually work? I've heard people swear by it, wouldn't be without it. I've read articals from Tripple J's Dr. Karl that it doesnt work. We need some long term proof, has anyone had it fitted a few years ago? hows it going? look forward to your responses.

Tim..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axel +Karen - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
Tim, we have had a system fitted to our vehicle for the last 5 years ,spend a minimum of a month per year on the beach ,broken into 3/4 trips ,,not one speck of rust to be found ,no other rust prevention methods used ,only a good fresh water rinse at end of trip ,system works....on previous vehicle used spray on system ,professionaly applied, rust within 12 months,,,erps money well spent,,,,Axel
AnswerID: 4339

Follow Up By: Greg G - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Axel & Karen
your experience is very interesting.What brand did you install
thankyou Greg G
FollowupID: 1856

Reply By: David - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Tim, i was very sceptical about any form of electronic rust protection and have been looking around for a few years at the various systems and like to see proof before shelling out any hard earned dollars, i've used spray on protection for years until i seen the E.R.P.S or Counteract, a mate of mine has had an E.R.P.S system for about three years now, it had a small amount of rust prior to fitting it, the rust spots turned black and hasn't gone any further in that time, another mate had about the same amout of rust in his car, but in the same time his rust has bubbled right out, i have been told that the counteract system uses about 100mW of power @ 12 volts where as the E.R.P.S uses about 22mW @ 12 volts ( less power than your digital clock ), i bought an E.R.P.S at the latest 4WD show in Brisbane for $390.00 ( not fitted ) which included a beach pack and 8 couplers, the Counteract was going to cost almost $800.00 ( not fitted ), one thing to remember though, is that it won,t protect any metal parts that are insulated eg, any screws or chrome that is held in by plastic, hope this helps with your decision, cheers, Dave.
AnswerID: 4340

Follow Up By: Tim - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks David and A & K, its good to hear poitive responses rather than negative, however an artical i read in the overlanderforum.com site from Dr Karl states that techenically it doesnt work. However i didnt realise how little they could be bought for. I've had my patrol sprayed underneath as well as the door cavities and engine bay, and I've no problems except where i've bottomed out and scratched the coating off. Its back on the shopping list at this stage!!!! Tim...

P.S, are they easy enough to install?
FollowupID: 1860

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Dr Karl was talking about the cathodic system. It is designed for underwater use (bridges, pipes, etc) and works well under water.

The RODE (USA made) and ERPS (Aus made) use a capacitive coupling system that is a completely different concept to the cathodic systems.

I bought an ERPS coz the local fertilizer company recommended it, after using it on their trucks. I got it when my vehicle was 4 years old and I have no idea if it's worked or not yet, but hopefully when my GQ Patrol is a vintage car it'll be rust free.
AnswerID: 4349

Follow Up By: David - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

As Nigel was saying there are a couple of different types of systems, 1: a cathodic system which is mainly used in marine applications, these use sacraficial annodes which rust attacks as apposed to the hull of a boat, 2: the other system, eg, E.R.P.S or Counteract uses a captive coupling system that puts a charge into the the whole body / chassis of the vehicle increasing its capacitance, this system requires a minimum of output of 200 volts to work, i'm not sure what the Counteract puts out but i know the E.R.P.S system puts out approximatly 400 volts, one other point to consider , i read in one of the latest news letters from VKS 737 HF radio network is that they can cause interference with some HF radios, cheers, Dave.
FollowupID: 1864

Follow Up By: Nigel - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Oops - I think I got RODE and CounterAct mixed up.

But I can't see any point in paying extra for non-Australian made ones anyway. The ERPS is designed and manufactured in Australia.

By the way, Endrust are also working on an electronic system, so Dr Karl may need to clarify his broad statement.
FollowupID: 1865

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

I have not noticed any difference when using my Codan 9323 HF since having the ERPS installed.
AnswerID: 4352

Follow Up By: David - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

I've just bought my E.R.P.S system last week at the Brisbane 4WD show and haven't installed it yet, so i don't know whether it will interfere with my Codan HF yet, this is just something that i read in the news letter, they were letting their members know that electronic divices such as the electronic rust protection & mega pulse battery rejuvinaters can cause interference, cheers, Dave.
FollowupID: 1868

Sponsored Links