Camper Trailer

Submitted: Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 16:33
ThreadID: 133716 Views:4893 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got reports about the Lincoln Z from EYZTRAIL?

http://www.ezytrailcampertrailers.com.au/products/hard-floor-camper-trailers-for-sale/lincoln/lincoln-z.html?ct=t(Newsletter_4_11_1611_4_2016)#camper-pic-gallery

It sells for under $23k, seems too low.

Thanks
Wato
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 20:22

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 20:22
It's an imported trailer. I wouldn't think the price seems low. I like the layout much better than a traditional forward fold, looks good with the twin beds.
AnswerID: 605676

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 21:16

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 21:16
Hi Wato,
No experience with this trailer, but it is heavy, once you fill both water tanks you are at 1500kgs, or close to it. Depending on what you want and expect to do with the trailer such weights could be a concern. Ball weight?
When you consider all the options available to you it is really important to be clear as to what you want in a trailer, ie accomodation for a family, go anywhere ability, comfortable travel for two etc.
I guess you have a clear idea, but weight is an issue often overlooked in an off-road trailer.
Rgds,
Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 605678

Reply By: swampy - Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 21:30

Friday, Nov 04, 2016 at 21:30
hi
tare 1300
gross 2000kg
Luv the 2x double bed
Better than offroad Jayco IMO
worth a closer look ,so many makes and models to sort thru

tomo

AnswerID: 605679

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Nov 05, 2016 at 11:11

Saturday, Nov 05, 2016 at 11:11
Some user experiences with the brand are posted here:

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ezytrail-camper-trailers.html

And don't believe the tare figure with any maker.
AnswerID: 605684

Reply By: splits - Saturday, Nov 05, 2016 at 15:09

Saturday, Nov 05, 2016 at 15:09
I have not had any experience with this brand so I can't say what they are like. My only concern is weight and the car that you intend towing it with.

It is very heavy and will most likely have a ball weight that is far higher than it has to be for something that length with most of the heavy material in it so close in front of and behind the axle. This can cause a few serious problems with many cars.

My 4x4 for example has a maximum towing capacity of 1800kg with a maximum of 180kg on the tow ball but the manufacturer says in the towing instructions in the handbook that a WDH must be used for any ball weight above 90kg. Herein lies a big problem for many owners. A WDH can not be used in many off road situations because of the high angles that can occur between the car and the trailer.

Many owners with cars designed that way have either not read the book so are unaware of it or they do know and think no worries I will support the overloaded and often sagging rear end with heavier springs or air bags.

Suspension alterations do not do the same job as a WDH and the result is often what you see in this magazine story.bent chassis

Camper trailers are a major cause of this problem.

Even if you don't own a cab chassis ute, you can still break axle housings and wheel studs by overloading the rear end.

Put a lot of thought into this first before you buy anything. Also check the off road towing capacity of the car with its manufacturer. Many of them recommend reducing the towing and carrying capacity in off road conditions.

AnswerID: 605686

Follow Up By: wato35 - Saturday, Nov 05, 2016 at 16:51

Saturday, Nov 05, 2016 at 16:51
I have a 2006 SR5 Hilux 3 Litre Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 875439

Follow Up By: splits - Saturday, Nov 05, 2016 at 21:04

Saturday, Nov 05, 2016 at 21:04
" I have a 2006 SR5 Hilux 3 Litre Turbo Diesel "
My Hilux is three years older than yours. It is a 3 litre diesel non turbo manual. Toyota will most likely say your model must use a WDH over a certain ball weight like they do with mine.

Your model had not long been released when I bought mine. I emailed Toyota and asked them about off road towing. Their reply was based on the current model i.e yours. I think from memory it has a maximum capacity of 2250kg or close to that. Its competitors all had around 3000kg at that time. This resulted in a lot of criticism being directed at the Hilux on net forums.

Toyota's reply was yes it will tow its maximum in off road conditions but DO NOT tow at all in soft dry sand.

Other manufacturers told me to reduce the maximum capacity off road but did not say by how much. Land Rover did give a reduced figure. Their Defender comes down from 3500kg on road to only 1500kg off road.

It is never a good idea to load a car to it its maximum and then take it into the worst conditions that it is ever likely to encounter. If they were built to stand up to that, their purchase price would be about double.

If you look at the cars in that bent ute link that I gave you, you can bet they all have some kind of non genuine aftermarket suspension alterations. You can also bet that all of those aftermarket parts came through unscratched, it is just the rest of the car that broke.

If I was going to tow that trailer that you are looking at, I would want nothing smaller than a Landcruiser ute. There would be very little left in reserve if you used a Hilux and that is not good for safety and reliability.
FollowupID: 875442

Sponsored Links