Tyre wear question.

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 13:26
ThreadID: 133736 Views:4278 Replies:16 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
I have a set of desert duellers on my navara and they are worn out at just 48k. Yes I have done a fair bit on the dirt but would have expected a bit more than that. Is this typical for all brands or should I try coopers or some other brand next time as they guarantee a certain mileage. Is that guarantee driving on smooth bitumen with no load or is it reasonable to think I might get a bit more than 48k out of them. I understand it's a trade off considering conditions driven etc etc but do coopers actually get better life?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Julio C (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:10

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:10
Kirk, I'm just about to get my third set of bf Goodrich all terrain.

I get 80'000 km plus out of them and I don't do rotations and have constant weight in the back because its the car I use for work.
AnswerID: 605754

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:30

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:30
My tyre retailer will sell Coopers if one insists, but recommends BFG. Based on experience, so do I.

I had a couple of sets of BFG T/A KO all terrains on my Prado, towing a 2.2 tonne hybrid camper/van on long outback and off-road trips. They were great - I always came home with the same six tyres I left with. However, the KOs were fairly prone to chipping, but I put up with that in favour of ruggedness and reliability.

I now have the later KO2s on my new vehicle and also on the van. They've done 10k of dirt and not a chip to be seen.

They tolerate low pressures (at reduced speeds) where necessary, don't bulge the sidewalls too much at low pressure and because of the fairly square shoulder on the tread keep the sidewalls up, reducing the likelihood of sidewall damage.

They would be my recommendation.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 605755

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:40

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:40
I had Coopers some years ago Kirk. Sure didn't get 80,000km out of them and didn't expect to either.

But I am just reading the warranty that came with them. It states "Your Cooper tyres are guaranteed to last from 50,000 to 80,000k depending on size and tread pattern."
To enjoy this warranty you are required to return the vehicle to an authorised Cooper Dealer each 10,000km at a cost of $88 per inspection. It is also a "pro-rata warranty".

The warranty card also states that "some areas of Australia will cause rapid wear beyond normal use and that the mileage warranty is only applicable to capital cities."

They certainly are not "Miracle Tyres" and there are plenty of others available that give better performance at lower prices.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 605756

Follow Up By: Member - MARIC - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 18:46

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 18:46
Did the warranty state that you had to have a metropolitan or major town residential address.
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 875538

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 22:33

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 22:33
No, It did say (amongst other expressions) that the Warranty "is only applicable to Capital City purchases."

The Warranty Card records my vehicle details, date and mileage but not my address.

Why do you ask?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 875548

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:59

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 14:59
Great answers guys. That's all was was looking for. Looks like a set of BFG's for Christmas. Thanks heaps.
AnswerID: 605759

Reply By: ian.g - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 15:08

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 15:08
Hi Kirk,
By saying that you have Desert Duelers I presume that you have Bridgestone Desert Duelers 604V which are a very old tread pattern which has been around for some 20 odd years and in most cases have been superseded by either their A/T 697 or M/T 674 both of which are excellent tyres that will give good mileage beyond what you currently are getting. I have been using Bridgestone tyres on a variety of vehicles over the past 40+ years and although there have been a couple of dogs most have been very good and have been backed fully by their dealers. I am currently using A/T697's on a four door 4WD ute and expectations of approx. 80,000km from a four tyre set seems well within possibilities. This is based on a 80/20 made up roads / bush roads but without huge loads with average being about 250kg in the back and usually no other passengers other than myself. I am very particular about cross switching every 10.000km and tyre pressures are critical if you want mileage. On this particular ute I run 34psi both front and rear on everything except sand.
Cheers
Ian
AnswerID: 605760

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 15:47

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 15:47
Thanks Ian. I have the 697's. I have done central road on this set and I think that took a lot off them. I was told by several to run 40 to 45 psi in them on highway but I prefer around 35 and 28 or so on dirt roads. They are a great tyre and like you have always been a Bridgestone man even on sports motor cycles. Sounds like the BFG's might be worth a try but will have a look when I go in to buy.
FollowupID: 875504

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 16:39

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 16:39
Kirk

I am currently using a set of BFG AT,S on my Troopie and I am very impressed with them .
My last set of tyres were Cooper ST Max and I got about 60,00km ( maybe 10,000km left in them ) In varying conditions with no troubles at all , but the BFG are heaps quieter and they feel better on the road .
Troopies are really hard on front tyres ,so I will be more than happy if the new tyres get 60,000km

Cheers
AnswerID: 605762

Reply By: MarkHugh - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 17:51

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 17:51
Hi Kirk,

I run 697s on my LC200 and 2,400kg off-road campervan. I have worn mine out faster than expected because I have done a lot of dirt as well as highway work in the last year (Gunbarrel, Nullarbor etc.) at reduced pressures with pretty heavy loads. The primary wear has come on the outside edge of the passenger side front tyre on the Cruiser and the passenger tyre on the camper van because of the low pressures combined with the exaggerated camber on many outback roads. This throws the weight onto the passenger side and the vehicle is always trying to climb up the camber, if you know what I mean. To get more life out of the tyres on that side, I have turned the tyre on the rim, so the other edge gets some wear, and put in somewhat higher-then-normal pressures, say 45psi, when on smooth bitumen. Plenty of people are of the opinion that manufacturers' recommended pressures are on the low side, to give a more compliant ride but this leads to accelerated edge wear.

Given that in all my travels I did not have any other issues with the 697s (no punctures, no missing chunks, no balance issues, relatively quiet running and no grip issues) I am happy to go with the 697s again.

Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 605764

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 19:28

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 19:28
hi
Single cab 07 Ranger 235/75/15 Original tyres
Michellins A/T 55,000kms work ute and wheel aligned plus rotations every 10,000kms when Ford remembered to do it JOKE
Why only 55 thou in town work ,plenty of turns, steering braking towing 1.5 ton trailer .
If it were driven quietly maybe 65 thou but I dought it

As for the previous mention of Cooper tyre $88 inspection nearly fell out of my chair !!!!

By the way Cooper /Nexen/ Miche /Good year wrangler all within 30$ in the USA
100-130$
DONOT BELEIVE THE RETAILERS FOR A MINIUTE

Swampy
AnswerID: 605766

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 19:56

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 19:56
wise people read the fine print on coopers warranty, then decide,not all of their tyres have a mileage warranty, bye barry
AnswerID: 605767

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 20:30

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 20:30
If your profile photo is anything to go by you have done very well. Looks like you have huge weight on the rear axle with the boat and I expect outboard and towing the camper trailer. Don't expect miracles from tyres.
AnswerID: 605768

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 21:30

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 21:30
No I don't. Just wanted to know what I should expect. As I said tyres have had a fair bit of hard work. Just thought I might get s bit more but as you say I think I'm on the money with what I got out of them. Cheers
FollowupID: 875517

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 21:01

Tuesday, Nov 08, 2016 at 21:01
Gday Kirk
Pretty much have always run BS LT Duellers of one type or another and usually get around the 70,000+ mark but I don't tow. I'm more than skeptical about some mileage claims I read. Currently running 697s and they look to be wearing better than the 694s did.

The old BFG ATs were regularly reported as giving up to 100K but if you're thinking that way I'd suggest you google and read about more recent versions. Quality may have dropped - balance and other problems the old model AT didn't suffer have been reported. Is this typical? Very hard to know.

A few other tyres (Yokahama etc) have generally good reports all round. If you search this forum you'll find some of them discussed. Good luck.
AnswerID: 605771

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 00:16

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 00:16
Firstly you have to remember that all guarantees have conditions ....... once you read the conditions lots of guarantees are not worth the paper they are written on ... always look at the detail.

Second there are lots of very good tyres out there, some of the lesser known brands or lesser known for 4wd tyre brands represent very good value for money and wear very well.

Third it must be understood that tyre wear can vary greatly depending on use ........ best tyre wear will be from lightly loaded straight highway work ....... I know some guys that can burn a set of tyres in a weekend ..... and not doing anything especially silly ........ traveling hard and fast on dirt roads is hard on tyres ........ living in a neibourhood with lots of roundabouts and curved streets is hard on tyres ....... lots of things are hard on tyres, so results can vary considerably.

Hard tyres that wear well often don't grip very well especially in the wet.

Modern tyres with modern tread patterns and modern rubber compositions can perform very well and wear very well.

Perelli, Yokohama Hankook and Maxxis do some very good 4wd tyres that have solid followings ....... Goodyear and Dunlop have consistently failed to impress me

.......Giving 4wd personalities free tyres, big full page adds in 4WD magazines and big promises certainly sells tyres and generates loyalty ....... but it does not make the product any better.

cheers

cheers
AnswerID: 605772

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 16:31

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 16:31
If your pic indicates the load you carry when travelling I would be running more than 35 psi in the rear when on the road that pressure may be fine when empty but definitely not when loaded or you'll be on here again saying BFG's worn out at xxxx km.
You may need to get some more advice on using correct and safe tyre pressures not having a go but what you prefer for say comfort reasons may not be helping the situation.
AnswerID: 605781

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 16:57

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 16:57
Thanks mate. The load isn't actually that high believe it or not. There is the outboard in the back but rest of it is just clothes and light stuff. The dingy I can lift. The tow ball weight of the camper is only 120. The rear tyres wore pretty similar to fronts. Slightly more due to slippage on dirt roads. I actually do normally run around 40 but prefer 35. From most comments on here 50000 km out of a set of tyres with a load and lots of dirt is about all I can expect and that's all I needed to know.
FollowupID: 875537

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 21:31

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 21:31
I had BFG A/T on a 60 ser sahara around 2001 and after 50,000km with a reasonable amount of off road and sand driving they were only half worn I was impressed with that they were a very good all round tyre cruiser weighed 2,300kg empty.

I have Kumho KL78 on my dual cab GQ at the moment mainly been on road some dirt tracks and sand due to be replaced with 110,000 k's on them. GQ weighs 2.5t plus, the tyres are good on gravel, the beach but the BFG's would handle the rougher terrain and mud better because the tread pattern is more aggressive. I would expect if they are as good as they use to be 80,000k's shouldn't be a problem.

FollowupID: 875543

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 21:38

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 21:38
120kg ball weight is a fair amount from a camper. I had a 16"6 pop top van once after I set it up it had an 80kg ball weight when loaded up to it's gross weight.
FollowupID: 875544

Reply By: Tony F8 - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 18:45

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 18:45
The big issue is not so much the brand, but most importantly tyre preassures and tyre compound, a softer compound will give you better traction on the black top, but will not last as long, and vica versa, off road a harder compound will be a better option, and the sidewall ply is critical aswell, so its not brand related as so much as fit for purpose.
AnswerID: 605784

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 19:15

Wednesday, Nov 09, 2016 at 19:15
But do we know the compound. No we don't. Only by what people say they do with them related to wear. I have had tyres that just about make sparks they are so hard and they are dangerous in the wet but yes never wore out. We could debate this for ever but in the end it's what people prefer and what brands your bought up with and had a good run out of. Things like price certainly are a factor. Think I paid about $1250 for my set and as I said would have expected a bit more but they are good tyres and ably ever had one punctur ( rock thru sidewall) in several sets on other vehicles as well. Anyway I just wanted to know what to expect and I think my 50k is probably about right for what I've done. Nay go with them again but the BFG tyres sound good.
FollowupID: 875539

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 12:48

Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 12:48
We don't know the compound .... but some tyres have a well known reputation for being hard and hopeless on the road.

There are many modern tyres where they do clever things with the compound, like adding silicon to the rubber mix that allows a softer compound that grips better to wear longer and chip less.

There has also been a lot of work done of tread patterns that wear, grip and shed clogging better.

There are a lot of tyres on the market that are old carcase technology, old rubber compounds and old tread patterns ...... and these are often from bigger more popular tyre companies.

Speak to a tyre salesman that knows his/her business and it just not out for the sale, ...... they WILL know about all this stuff

The Perelli Scorpion and Yokahama Geolander in all terain are good examples of this ...... both are fairly recently designed tyres, with modern tread patterns and rubber compounds ....... they have proven in testing and reviews to be very good in a wide range of situations

But people with old expectations can not understand why they work so well off road when their tread pattern does not look as aggressive as many ...... those same people wont believe how well they drive on road or how well they wear in spite of being a soft compound.

There is a whole generation of newer tyres out there, many from lesser known companies that have a point to prove and a name to make and who can not rely on those who have baught the same "old rope" tyres for the last 20 years.

The three big American brands, Bridgstone, Dunlop and Goodyear all continue to sell very old tyre designs that are past their useby date, because people continue to rebuy the same tyres over and over ...... those big specilaist 4wd tyre advertsers are little better.

Get ouit and ask some questions and look at some of the very well engineered new tyre designs that are out there.

cheers
FollowupID: 875671

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 16:03

Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 16:03
Great advice. Thanks very much. Will have a sniff around when I go to buy. Can get confusing.
FollowupID: 875673

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 00:12

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 00:12
Kirk, I will give you my experience with Bridgestone 697 Duellers. I put a set on at 22,100, and from then until I left to go on my trip I run mostly unloaded.

The speedo was 37,195 when I went for my holiday towing a 3 tonne van and car loaded to a little more weight wise.

On leaving I used a depth gauge and there was 8.5 to 9 ml all round. By the time I returned home with a speedo reading of 58,318, I had less than 3ml on the back and 3.5 to 4 ml front. Total of 36218 k's.

On the previous two trips I did around Australia, I never adjusted tyre pressures at all, 32 in front, 36 in back, but I will admit I was not towing anything as heavy as I am now.
I had Bridgestone 694's on and got one puncture for each trip.

This trip was the first time I have ever adjusted my pressures down for the dirt and inflated them back up for bitumen.

This time I actually amassed a total of 9 punctures. I had 6 flats on the vehicle and 3 on the van.
I was getting good at inserting plugs by the time I got home.

I can also tell you, my van tyres had done a total of 23,500k's and they are all down to the wear blocks.

Before coming onto this site, I thought that was pretty normal mileage for a set of tyres under the circumstances that they were subjected to.

Now I am gravely disappointed I am not getting 80,000 plus like others get.

Cheers

AnswerID: 605792

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 09:59

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 09:59
From what has been said here I don't think anyone with any tyre will get 80 k loaded and doing dirt roads. 80 is what you might get just driving round town.
FollowupID: 875553

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:52

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:52
Kirk

I am running Mickey Thompsons on my vehicle. I have done over 80,000kms on them and there is still heaps of wear. A lot of kms on bitumen but I have done Cape York, the Savannah Way, Googs Track, the Painted Desert, Binns track and the Northern Simpson on them. Did in one tyre on the Simpson - for the amount of off-road I have done destroying one tyre is pretty good.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

AnswerID: 605807

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:15

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:15
That sounds pretty impressive. Your not towing tho are you? And maybe you travel light. They are probably a lot less in price than coopers or bridge stones too. Thanks for input.
FollowupID: 875558

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 13:20

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 13:20
No Kirk, Mickey Thompsons are not "less in price". They are right up at the top end with Coopers.

Bridgestones are an economical product. I have just run a set of Bridgesone AT-697's down but will replace them with Hankook's this time. By the time I reach age of 120 years I should be able to provide comparative results for every tyre on the market! lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 875571

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 14:14

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 14:14
Kirk

I tow an off road camper trailer with a tare weight of just under 1.5t. Look at my profile picture.
I do not travel light. I don't know a 4WDriver who does.
They cost about $400 a tyre so they are expensive to initially purchase.

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

FollowupID: 875575

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 14:18

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 14:18
Ha that's funny Allan. Living the life you might just get there. At the end of the day it's a trade off between hard rubber and long wear depending on what you want. Probably go Bridgestone or BFGs next I think depending on what's on special at the time.
FollowupID: 875576

Sponsored Links