Aldi sim?

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 09:58
ThreadID: 133745 Views:6367 Replies:3 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, does an Aldi sim (telstra network) have international roaming to put in my 9505A to get a cheaper plan? or what other way is there? I had a telstra $10 sim years ago but let it go, I have since tried to revive it but no go. thanks, norm
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:15

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:15
Just because these other providers say they are on the telstra network does not nesessarily mean it has the same coverage as Telstra. A secondry provider does not always purchase the use of all towers.
Have a friend on a seconry provider on the Telstra network and they don't get coverage a lot of places I do on a Telstra plan.
disclaimer. I have a telstra plan but if another provider provided same coverage I would be there in a shot

Neil

AnswerID: 605805

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:28

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:28
At least some, and maybe all, secondary providers using the Telstra network only offer 3G which is much limited from the Telstra full 4G or "Next G' connectivity.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 875554

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:06

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:06
Hi

The OP's question relates to the use of the SIM card in a satellite phone so tower coverage and 3G/4G is not relevant (unless he/she also plans on also using it in a normal mobile phone).

I suspect the SIM will not work in a satellite phone as its not on a direct telstra "plan" but that is a guess i.e I am of no help.

You can still get $10 telstra plans I believe (well I have one). They just dont sell it in shops or online from what I can figure ....so best course of action is to sign up for an advertised SIM only plan (with option to change anytime you like) from a shop or online - then ring up and ask to change it to Mobile Accelerate Casual
Plan ($10)...this is more or less what I did about a year ago (after original $10 plan was scrapped) - works fine in sat phone.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 875556

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:53

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:53
When you ask to go on the Accelerate plan DONT mention satfones. It causes angst and pain to shop assistants who have no idea and are programmed to deny everything.
FollowupID: 875567

Reply By: maurice b - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:39

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:39
The Answer would be no it would not directly connect to the service .In regards of other Telco's using Telstra. There a 7 Telco's that i know that use the Telstra network and i have tried some of them. Mobile Boost is the only one that has access to all there towers. Aldi from personal experience sucks when you head west.You can only access service in the major towns. Quote. Mobile Boost service is provided over Telstra's full 2G, 3G & 4G networks. Boost Mobile have full, unrestricted access to the Telstra network in terms of coverage. Boost customers however do not have access to Telstra's full 4GX data speeds.
AnswerID: 605812

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:50

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:50
Telstras 2G has 20 days of life and its gone forever.

4G is only used for data unless VOLTE is available and is on a very restricted number of phones anyway.

Your phone would have to be unlocked to use Aldi or Amysim etc as prepaid phones are usually network locked. Did one on Saturday Brand new Telstra prepaid ZTE unlocked it for $1.99 on the net.

Next G is Telstras name for 3G and is on its 850mhz band. I am at present using an Optus Galaxy 6 on Aldi and it works fine including 4G. Was on a plan so not locked.

I found that you needed a post paid sim internationally roamed and the cost was $4 a minute both to and from. I just swapped the sim out of my Telstra phone when we were going out of range.

Because Telstra offer satellite service it is simply a billing thing if you use your mobiles sim in the satfone
FollowupID: 875565

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 14:22

Thursday, Nov 10, 2016 at 14:22
What Tom said.

To the OP's question - Aldi SIM in satphone - the short answer is No. The long answer is Nooooooo.

The only reason that Telstra post-paid SIMs work in Iridium satphones is because Telstra have in place an access and billing arrangement with iridium. No Telstra-based MVNO's SIMs will work in an Iridium satphone.

Boost are the ONLY Telstra-based MVNO who have access to the entire Telstra network. ALL the others have access to the Telstra wholesale network, which is a specific sub-set of the whole deal. The wholesale coverage will be the SAME for ALL those resellers on the wholesale network, be it Aldi or anyone else. The coverage of the wholesale network closely mirrors that of Optus, for fairly obvious marketing reasons.
FollowupID: 875577

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 20:24

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 20:24
As an example an ALDI sim will NOT work in a locked Telstra phone because although it works on Teltras network it is as said above an MVNO. Unlock the same phone and it will. I suspect that it will NOT work in a satfone because ALDI billing goes to ALDI and Telstras billing goes to TELSTRA who can rip you off at $4 a minute for a Sat call

Zippo is entirely correct.
FollowupID: 875619

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 17:51

Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 17:51
TomH
An Aldi sim will definitely work on a locked Telstra phone , I have done it myself, the phone was several years old though.
FollowupID: 875647

Follow Up By: maurice b - Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 17:59

Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 17:59
That's is correct I also used my Aldi as well as Mobile Boost sim also in a locked Telstra phone
FollowupID: 875650

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 18:25

Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 18:25
Well why when I tried in the following Telstra PREPAID NETWORK LOCKED phone an ALDI and a AMAYSIM or any other than a Telstra sim wont work in them.
All were bought from Telstra DIrect
Galaxy Ace, T96, T126, 4GX HD, LG OPTIMUS, Huawai P9 and an Alcatel One touch Pixi 3 (Brand new last week) Also my sons Optus Galaxy Note 5
A Boost will work because it is Telstras own .
ALL Telstras Prepaids are network locked and require an unlock code to use another providers sim. A Telstra or Optus phone which is POSTPAID is not locked except for Iphones and can be used with other sims
I have an Optus Galaxy S6 I got off a friend that was on a plan and can use any sim in it. Am on Aldi but switching to Amaysim when our new Optus tower is finished.
I got an unlock code off Telstra for my old Iphone 3s free after 3 years.
They wanted $150 to unlock the Ace when it was new.
I got codes off the net for the T126 and the Pixi $10 for the 126 and $1.99 for the Pixi
Phones bought from overseas or Kogan or Unique mobiles are usually unlocked but not from the big 3 if they are PREPAID
FollowupID: 875652

Follow Up By: Zippo - Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 18:31

Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 at 18:31
Although it is off-topic re the O/P's question, there is no yes/no answer to the "will an Aldi (etc) SIM work in a locked Telstra phone" question. It depends on the phone, and worse still even the exact same model can fit either answer. Samples of one are of no real value here.
Some are locked to "the Telstra network" and some are "locked to Telstra". We purchased a particular model for the MIL, and it worked. A month later, an identical model freshly purchased would *only* work with a real Telstra SIM. Others have had the exact same experience. There are numerous threads on Whirlpool discussing this same (off-) topic. [Edit: one such thread (long) is this]
FollowupID: 875653

Reply By: Paul and Mel - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 19:53

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 19:53
All carriers are moving away from 850Mhz. They plan to use it for NBN or something a rather. I had to replace my mobile repeater transmitter as they changed my local frequency to 900Mhz from 850.
AnswerID: 605837

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 20:17

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 20:17
What has that got to do with an Aldi sim in a sat phone?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 875617

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 20:20

Friday, Nov 11, 2016 at 20:20
Strange Not according to this from April

https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/Will-my-phone-work-in-Australia-carrier-network-frequencies.

The 2 G frequency is going to something else and they have been replacing Small nodes for 4G with 900mhz towers but unless you have VoLTE it will only affect data

And herehttps://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Coverage-Network/Telstra-Frequencies-and-Bands-mainly-LTE/td-p/564885
FollowupID: 875618

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 08:09

Sunday, Nov 13, 2016 at 08:09
Paul, this is OT but, there are no plans to shut down 850Mhz.

Telstra, Optus and Vodfone all use 900mhz for 2G or GSM, they are closing those down.

Telstra have plans to keep 850Mhz 3G, marketed as Next G,for 12 years or more.
FollowupID: 875662

Sponsored Links