Dual Battery - Deep Cycle or Cranking

Submitted: Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1338 Views:1906 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all. I realise this question has been posted many a time before, but I am still no closer to figuring out which is the best way to go. I would be running an Engel 40L fridge plus some lighting. Would be no more than 1 night without recharging. Have a Rotronics independent charge system. Understand that Deep Cycles foul if they are not cycled frequently and also that starters dont take to constant cycling too well. Would need it for the odd weekend trip and 1-2 big trips a year. Any thoughts would be appreciated on which battery type would be the best.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
Sam, I think that we all tend to get brain washed with all the trends and fads.

I been through the Deep cycle bit, I did not experience any advantage of disadvantage. The battery eventually died.

I have for the last five years used two Cranking Batteries in my dual battery setup. It has never presented any problems. I buy batteries that have a two year garranttee.
AnswerID: 4344

Follow Up By: Nigel - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

How long can you run a fridge for without recharging (if you have one). I'm curious for future reference coz good deep cycles aren't cheap.
FollowupID: 1862

Follow Up By: Rod - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00
Dear Nig, I have an Autofridge. I do turn it off each night. Druation without recharging I don't know as I'm usually moving on or if its a static camp then touring around during the day.
FollowupID: 1877

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

This is the old ... "How long is a piece of string, and what colour" ... question. I agonised over the same question for a long time, and eventually bought a deep cycle battery ... but you know what ... I am not that sure that it matters a whole heap. They all tend to die just after the warranty period, and they all still seem to give you 12V ( or there abouts ). So the answer is .... Go the cheaper battery and replace it when it dies. Unless of course that you ALWAYS run the battery flat between charges etc etc etc....

I hope that this is helpfull .... or not ....

The Rotronics Idependant isolator will help a great deal as well. Parallel systems tend to rob the batteries of life a bit ....
AnswerID: 4345

Follow Up By: Nigel - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

I tend to agree with that philosophy, but the local battery world guru (this guy really does know what he's talking about) recommended the federal deep cycle. It's past it's warranty now and still no sign of stopping. Of course if I used it for purposes that it wasn't intended then I might be able to kill it (like winching with a deep cycle), but for running the fridge for 3 days without recharge it's great. I also agree about the rotronics systems - keep the different types of batteries away from each other and they'll all be happier.
FollowupID: 1861

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

I personally have a deep cycle coz it suits my use, but from your proposed use you would probably be better with a normal battery, or better still something like the Century MarinePro series (Exide have a similar range), that can cope with small amounts of cycling.

Stay away from maintenance free starter batteries coz once they are flattened fully they die very quickly.

We run our fridge nearly every weekend plus the deep cycle gets a full cycle on our monthly camping trips (2 nights without recharge).
AnswerID: 4348

Reply By: Damian - Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00
Sam
Check out the last issue of 4WD monthly - there was an article dealing with that subject in there. Buy the magazine anyway - it is terrific.
AnswerID: 4377

Reply By: Andrew O - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00
Sam, I'm using the Exide Extreme - essentially a hybrid between the two - more rugged construction, 2 year warranty, and has served us well on quite a few extended stays. Cheers. Andrew
AnswerID: 4385

Sponsored Links