Registering a new caravan NSW

Submitted: Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 12:35
ThreadID: 133857 Views:3619 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am building a little off road pop-up caravan and I am wondering about the procedure I should follow when the time comes to get it registered. I understand that I will need compliance certificates for gas and electrical plus apply for a VIN number.
But do I need to get an engineer's certificate?
Thanks in advance.
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 15:20

Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 15:20
Keith
You will certainly need all the certificates you mentioned.
You will need a weighbridge certificate and a blue slip. I have just been through all this with a brand new caravan bought in Queensland but has to be registered in NSW.
Cheers
Duncan
AnswerID: 606267

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 15:49

Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 15:49
Why not ring the NSW RTA who are the authority who wil give you the absolute truth as to what you need.
Answers on forums are opinions only (including this one) and may or may not be correct.

For all technical things its best to ask the horses mouth rather than the other end if you get what I mean. \
The gas and any 240V should be installed and signed off by suitably registered tradesmen
AnswerID: 606270

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 17:00

Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 17:00
Brother in Law built a trailer a while back and he had to prove he'd followed the Australian Design Rules.
AnswerID: 606274

Reply By: eaglefree - Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 22:37

Monday, Nov 28, 2016 at 22:37
Be in touch with your auto electrician at frame stage. He'll want to see your wiring.
AnswerID: 606282

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2016 at 09:46

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2016 at 09:46
QUOTE Why not ring the NSW RTA who are the authority who wil give you the absolute truth as to what you need.
Answers on forums are opinions only (including this one) and may or may not be correct. UNQUOTE

I did this as I found that the RTA many years ago had registered my camper trailer with a wildly incorrect tare, which is quite common .

I was told to contact a certified engineer at MY COST. So their mistake my cost. Jeeeez.

I was later talking to a trailer manufacturer who told me all I had to do was get a blue slip form a certified blue slip inspector and a weighbridge certificate and present it to an RMS office and then the trailer manufacturer could make up an accurate VIN plate.

So unless you want to spend hundreds if not thousands for no purpose I would try what was suggested to me .

Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 606296

Reply By: duck - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2016 at 13:32

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2016 at 13:32
There,s plenty on RMS web site, but just make sure all items used are of correct size weight etc for the size of the van & when he/her blue slip's it they will just mark it a probably as home made or manufacture un-known they should/will take into account axle size, springs, wheels, material used etc against the weight of the blue slip & if all good they will pass it
(I issue blue & brown slips) Most home made's are over built but some are horrible & should never ever pass, I have asked for engineering cert & others not pending build quality or if it was to close to the spec, you do not need any certificates for any 12 or 24volt & there is no where on the form for 240volt unless its being used on travel, but you should get it tested for insurance reasons & for safety, LPG gas will have to be passed by a licenced gas fitter & it will be checked to make sure the bottle is not mounted incorrectly to the specs or in a unvented area, but if no lpg bottle on van at inspection just marked NO Gas
go & talk to who you are going to use to blue slip it. be aware some are just too lazy to check & ask for every certificate know to man just to cover there ass as they just do not know the spec's
good luck
AnswerID: 606327

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 01:50

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 01:50
When your are going through the process, remember that rego costs and the need for annual inspections are all based on weight. So if possible, it would be much cheaper to get that part of the process done before you add too much to the unit.
Tim
AnswerID: 606337

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:47

Thursday, Dec 01, 2016 at 14:47
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have spoken to the blue slip mechanic and all he needs is gas and weighbridge certificates.
I spoke to an ADR engineer who said that no engineering certificate is required if the van is under 3,500 kg, although the blue slip guy could demand one if the job looks dodgy.
I think I'll go to the RTA (or whatever it is that they are called these days) armed with receipts.
Many thanks
Keith
AnswerID: 606349

Sponsored Links