older SWB 4bys

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 17:18
ThreadID: 13393 Views:1468 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
okay, well the time has come to sell my beloved Discovery V8 (buying a house, need to dosh) and i'm looking at buying an older SWB 4x4 for both driving to work and also having some fun on the weekends.

i'm considering either a 40 series Landy, 70 series Landy (preferably the Bundera), or a MQ Patrol SWB. i love the 40/45 Landy's, but my mate has 2 MQ Patrols. He took one up with me to Coral Bay and it was pretty great. may not be greatly comfortable or new, but as a bunky (his WAS a bunky!) it was tops and went great off-road.

so, can I have opinions of people on pros/cons of those SWB 4bys, and what i should look at when deciding? thanks peoples!

nathan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TuffLux (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 17:46

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 17:46
Ahhh the things we do. I am in the process of doing pretty much the exact same thing for the exact same reason. It was a tuff decision but the misses has twisted my arm(again). I'm opting to sell the Hilux for a 92 Sierra. The reason I chose the sierra is their price, capability, economy, and the condition you can get for the money. Also I only need it to be a two person tourer so I turfed the rear seat which gives a reasonable amount of storage space.
Any of the 4bys you mentioned would also be great but watch for rust (around doors, windows, gutters, under carpet etc.)
Good luck with your decision.

Brad
AnswerID: 61367

Follow Up By: NathanK - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 18:10

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 18:10
yeah, it's a hard decision to make. i'm not impressed with Sierras, had a few runs with them and came away disappointed. but each to their own. i have a disco, so that already puts me into the mentally challenged category in this forum!!! :)
FollowupID: 322840

Follow Up By: Member - TuffLux (SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:09

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 16:09
Nothing wrong with Disco's...
Just out of interest what in particular disapointed you about sierra's, just so I am aware of others opinions. Was it : ride, capability what?

As others have mentioned, if you can afford it go for a Bundy, but that may be stretching the budget a little far to find a good one.
Cheers
FollowupID: 322985

Reply By: Patroleum - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 19:15

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 19:15
Nathan,

Go the Bundera. I had one for 4 years and recently sold it to upgrade to an 80 series. It was fantastic,decent offroad,tough as nails and comfortable on the highway. Coil springs make handling and comfort quite good too.
If you get a 22r petrol slip extractors and increased diameter pipe on to make it breath better.

Only real weak spot i found was rear diffs. I had a couple replacements over the years.

Good Luck

Greg
AnswerID: 61386

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:16

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 23:16
What is your budget? that will decide what you get.

How serious do you wanna make it for offroad? Coils are easier to modify...
AnswerID: 61453

Follow Up By: NathanK - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:34

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:34
about $6000 i guess. i've seen a MQ Patrol Turbo Diesel for $6500 at a caryard, that's sort of my limit but i'd pay that much for something good that didn't need any remedial work to body/motor.

i've got a year or two before next trip, so plenty of time to slip susp work and extras in over time.
FollowupID: 322937

Reply By: rolande- Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:58

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:58
NathaneK,
I was thinking about this today while driving the GU, trying to remember how uncomfortable the shorty MK, was, even with an expensive suspension kit. (just have to remember to load it up with all and the kitchen sink, rides great then). Later model with turbo SD33 and 5 speed is the pick of them. Loved every bit of it other than this. The Bundera was much loathed when new, especially the mid wheel base with FRP top. Would probably be a good buy today if you can find one, just factor in extra for new springs/shocks, you would think it had leaf springs the way it rode. The other one to consider is an early diesel Pajero shorty, would be cheap buy in, good motor and may not have been driven as hard as the others, and should be O.K. with only a new set of shocks.
Something to think about anyway, hope this helps
Rolande
AnswerID: 61606

Sponsored Links