D-Max Single Cab Ute

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:06
ThreadID: 133971 Views:5014 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have a mate that is thinking of buying the new the current single cab D-Max Ute for his farm and a bit out Outback touring.. He's covered all the extra options, however he's going to install a rear Diff Locker and was wondering if the vehicle would then be suitable for travelling the Canning Stock Route.?
I assume he will be travelling with other vehicles; but he's more interested in the aspect of whether or not the D-Max would handle the Canning.
Thanks for any thoughts.
One life. Live it while you can.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:50

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:50
I have a Dmax space cab with an alloy canopy. I haven't done the Canning but it handled Big Red and out to Eyre Creek and back with no problems in standard form. I also towed a 2000kg van into and out of Haddon Corner over the dunes.
I think the Dmax would handle the Canning with no problems.
AnswerID: 606854

Follow Up By: ian.g - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:59

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:59
D Max would handle the Canning without any problems in standard form, I have a RC Colorado which is virtually the same vehicle and have been down the Canning and also many other tracks without any drama. It is still in standard form with the exception of Bilstein shocks and Bridgestone 697 LT tyres, very capable vehicle. Mine is a duel cab so the single cab has a greater load carrying capability so will be even better.
FollowupID: 876576

Reply By: Moto - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 12:55

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 12:55
Thanks Rod and Ian.
I'll past on your helpful information.
One life. Live it while you can.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 606857

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:02

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:02
Did the CSR this year in a D-Max at an all up weight of 3220 kgs. It did it in a cakewalk. So your answer is a D-Max will handle the CSR with ease.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 606861

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:15

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:15
I have a Dmax Space Cab with 2 x eLockers and a few other bits , I have broken 2 CV's , they are know for breaking CV's easily and no it wasn't because of the lockers .
AnswerID: 606862

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:44

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:44
Jackolux, if you don't mind me asking why did you install the e-lockers as my understanding is that the D Max is extremely capable as stock especially with all the electronic traction control gadgetry etc?

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 876577

Reply By: Iza B - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:20

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 15:20
I left Brissy with 1500K on my new (at the time) SX as it came from the showroom and did the Simpson. No troubles at all. I did have some MaxTraxx and they got used a coupe of times. Big Red? First go. Auto box in D for Gee Oh.

Iza
AnswerID: 606863

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 17:45

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 17:45
Dunc .
It really depends where you intend to use your vehicle , Desert and Sand tracks TC is probably all thats needed but Diff Locks will beat TC no question when the going get rough .

The Isuzu TC is not as good as most other makes from all reports , I know when a couple of wheels only have fresh air for traction the TC just gives up , lockers will keep you moving forward with no need for extra speed to bounce over the more difficult bits

Have a look at this video my Dmax with TC first run then same line with Lockers this track is a lot steeper than the camera shows but still a easy track no wheels in the air , TC got me there but the lockers just so much easier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmsa_R5zqQM
AnswerID: 606870

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 19:09

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 19:09
No comparisons. I've got air lockers in one of my 4wds and I agree they make a world of difference.

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 876580

Reply By: splits - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 22:41

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 22:41
The Canning and similar roads don't break cars, the drivers do. Keep the car under maximum weight and don't push it along trying to keep to an unrealistic time schedule and a standard D Max will do it with ease.

I recommend he buys three of these DVDs.Touring DVDs The one on the Canning and the twin pack Desert Highways will give him a good idea of what desert conditions are like. They consist of touring and history with no advertising.

I thought the convoys were going a little too fast in some places. A few of the cars had mechanical problems, particularly with aftermarket shocks.

One driver bent the chassis on his ute on the Gunbarrel and Gary Highways. His slide on camper placed too much weight behind the axle. Correct weight distribution is critical on all cab/chassis utes. He had air bags at the back but it is no use lifting sagging rear ends with air bags or heavier springs. They can not move weight forward where it should be.

Tell him to read through this linkBent Utes

Punctures can be a big problem in deserts because there is so much wood lying around. Unfortunately the punctures are rarely nice neat little nail hole size. Every section on this page is well worth reading.Tyre Repairs

AnswerID: 606881

Reply By: maurice b - Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 20:49

Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 20:49
It appears that the. Dmax is pretty bullet proof except the common issue of CV breakages. How is this issue resolved .Are there stronger aftermarket replacments or mods as driving with care doesn't seem to make any difference.
AnswerID: 606897

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 21:04

Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 21:04
Look at the drive line angles on this Ranger.

Now look at the drive line angles on this D-Max.

We don't know what lift, if any, each had.

But I suggest drive line angles are a factor in CV longevity, and drive line angles are adversely affected by a suspension lift.

Just saying ..
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876607

Reply By: Jackolux - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 08:41

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 08:41
They are my Videos and my Dmax , the Dmax has a ARB GVM upgrade so about a 30mm lift not much when most talk about 50mm lifts .

The Ranger is brand new , completely std . I thought with only 30mm lift a diff drop would not be needed , that was until I stuck a GoPro under there , I will now fit a diff drop .

My Dmax measures 540mm from centre of wheel to guard but a new Dmax with zero K's also is 540mm ,

But just yesterday I checked out 2 Dmax with std suspension , one has a ARB bar and Winch it was 500mm the other just a small nudge bar 510mm both have done about 50k , so the std suspension has settled . I would of thought the one with the Bar and Winch would of been a lot lower .

So going by those 2 Utes , I do have a 30mm lift .

AnswerID: 606904

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 10:48

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 10:48
Jackolux,

I watched all your vids on the Army Tk. Very interesting and good quality, unlike many. It was the Ranger that caught my eye because I have a BT50 (almost the same) and I wanted to see how it went.

I can't do vids, but here is a still of my front suspension at rest on a level surface. I have a Lovell's GVM upgrade to 3500kg and an ARB bar and winch at the front. When it was all new 2 years ago the lift was about 40mm at the front, but it's settled a little bit since then.

You can see a bit of drive line angle, but not nearly as much as on your Dmax.

I haven't had the chance to look closely at a Dmax, but I wonder if they have a bit of drive line angle out of the factory to account for settling, and then even a mild lift takes it a bit too far.

Perhaps Santa will leave a diff drop kit under the tree :-)

Merry Christmas

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876628

Reply By: Jackolux - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:14

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:14
Frank I think your drive shaft looks fine , if mine were like that I wouldn't be worried.

Hopefully I can get mine sorted because having to spend 3 hours winching up a track because you are reduced to 2WD is a pita .

I'm uploading a video of my mates std ( dropped ) suspension to YouTube atm , it looks much better .

This is probably a bit OT for the OP's original question but hopefully he might get something out of it , a std Dmax should be ok doing the Canning
AnswerID: 606919

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:47

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:47
Thanks Jackolux.

I just looked at your video of your Dmax suspension again. I think the outer boot is split near the hub. I thought I could see some shiny black grease going past on every rotation. Am I correct?

I take it from your second sentence above that you had a CV fail on that track? Was it the one in your vid?

Can you post a link to your new vid - I can't find it atm.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876630

Reply By: Jackolux - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:58

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:58
Yep there is a split , in fact the boot on the other side also has a split , both have only a very small hole not actually a split , I patched them with silicone the white bit going round near the grease is the patch , missed a bit on that side .
It's going in for a service soon I will get both replaced then .
That's not the track I have broken CV's on ,

New video is not up yet it's taking forever ,it's at 74% sometimes when this happens it gets to 99% then it fails , check back later , if it fails I will reduce the size and try again that will probably be tomorrow, stay tuned .
AnswerID: 606921

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 14:02

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 14:02
If you want to see some really wild CV angles find a dealership for the Polaris brand of ATVs (quad bikes) and have a gander at the rear drive shaft angles. The only situation that kills their CVs is split or worn CV boots not being replaced and dirt getting in and turning the grease into grinding paste. Even then they don't "blow up", just make that familiar clicking sound.

Mind you the CVs that they use are massively oversized for the vehicle size.

Cheers
Pop

AnswerID: 606924

Sponsored Links