Arnhem Land Guide Book?

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 16:48
ThreadID: 133974 Views:3582 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
-
I am contemplating visiting Arnhem Land in 2017 in company with one or two other vehicles.

When searching for info I find plenty from NT Tourism, Tour companies etc., all promoting their interests and also a number of historical and ecological articles and books. But what I cannot find is any published tour guide books in the style of Ron Moon's publications.

I have read the blogs here on EO but naturally they deal only with their particular travel observations. What I seek is a guide book that provides all the necessary information about options to see, places to avoid, permits and the like.
If not as a printed book then maybe as an online digital guide.

I would appreciate being pointed to any such information by EO members.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 17:10

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 17:10
I believe the closest you will get is NT travel Guide

regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 606868

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 17:29

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 17:29
Thanks Fred. I'll put it on the 'shortlist'.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 876578

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 21:47

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 21:47
Arnhem Land is Aboriginal Land. You will need permits from the Northern Lands Council to visit.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 606878

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 22:44

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 at 22:44
-
Yes, thank you. I am aware of the permit requirements and I understand that they may not be easily obtained. My only immediate need is a guide book to plan the itinerary.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 876584

Reply By: Member - batsy - Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 13:48

Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 13:48
Allan like you we are looking at a visit to Arnhem Land in 2017. The small pieces of information are just that however an article in the RV Daily adds a little to the file. If you Google "Arnhem Land The Last Frontier" you should be able to access it.
Good luck.

Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 606890

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 15:49

Thursday, Dec 22, 2016 at 15:49
-
Thanks Batsy,
That RV Daily reference is the best yet. If I had nothing else then it, together with my current maps would suffice.

I was looking at this a couple of years back and did find a useful account but cannot now locate it.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 876601

Follow Up By: HDJ_008 - Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 06:25

Friday, Dec 23, 2016 at 06:25
www.dhimurru.com.au

This is the land management agency that manages the IPA surrounding Nhulunbuy. Lots of info there on rec areas, camping, permits etc.

FollowupID: 876618

Reply By: Member - WoodDuck5 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 02:52

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 02:52
Hi Allan
You are right, there is no "Guide book", per se.
I ran a trip in 2016 - a large group. Took 3 years in the planning and when I got there, I found (nearly) all the printed (google) stuff is dated, bias and misleading. You could argue that is a overstatement..... Naturally, it will depend on where you want to go, what you want to see, how dedicated (persistent) you are and how remote you want to get.
With that said - Cobourg peninsula stuff is correct and relatively easy to access (via the NT Tourism). Similarly, access to Nhulunbuy is reasonably straight forward - eventhough some of the wording may be a bit 'off', misleading, or perhaps more correctly, can be misinterpreted.
Interesting anecdote - we stopped on the side of the road to take a photo, (in Arnhem Land) and were threatened and verbally abused that our cars would be towed away, we would be fined and thrown in jail, (today!) if we didn't keep moving. This was from a tour operator, who (as it turns out) has no authority. We had permits. It just adds to the confusion - and frustration of those wanting to see this fantastic part of the country and endeavouring to understand and work with the local communities.

I'd be pleased to chat about our experiences, if it will assist.
Regards,
Geoff

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607179

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 10:42

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 10:42
-
Thanks Geoff,
The intent was to travel to Nhulunbuy and thereabouts with nothing too remote or extreme. Two or three vehicles. There is clearly an opportunity for a 4WD author to publish a guide book here.
I'll continue my research and may well take-up your offer to chat as I assemble questions. If so I will first contact you by Member Message. I also have another chat offer which I will exercise shortly.

Re your tour operator anecdote. A few tour operators can be quite authoritarian and consider that they alone should be granted access. Fraser Island has a poor image for this. You can encounter a 4WD tour bus on a winding track where the tour operator will demand you back-up to a location where you can get off the track. No great problem for me in the Troopy but could be difficult for some towing a trailer. The confrontation can be accompanied by headlight flashing and horn blowing.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 876894

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 18:32
Hey WoodDuck5 who was the operator? there is a good chance I know them, and yes they have no authority.

Most of my trips to Arnhemland take 4.5 hours to go 200 km towing boats etc, so a rest is often taken. I know most TOs so never had an issue however, some operators think they own the joint.

Allan I will never go back to Fraser Island for the very reason you talk about. Twice in 2 years I was abused by those retard tour guides thinking they own the joint, I actually got one of them sacked after another visitor and I were made to swerve to miss being hit by this twits bus.

The funny part was when he pulled up at the ship wreck he waved to me while I was on the phone to his boss.
FollowupID: 876910

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 18:42

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 18:42
-
Steve, Don't wipe Fraser off your list. It's a great place, very relaxing. But you need to pick your times. Not the best time right now. But I'll be there again as soon as school holidays end. Will have the place almost to myself.

p.s. My handbrake is not reliable either. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 876911

Sponsored Links