Mig welders

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 13:28
ThreadID: 134005 Views:3365 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I've been a stick welder guy for 55 years but now I'm interested in dabbing up ornaments ex very light gauge iron or zinc anneal and I am looking at buying a Rossi 155 gas less mig machine that runs off 15amp power. Is there any out there that either have this machine or have used it and what is the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Rossi as this one has a 2 metre gun cable which would give me a bit more flexibility than the shorter 1400 or 1500 guns.
Your thoughts please.
BillM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 14:27

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 14:27
A gasless mig is really just a stick welder with the exception that instead of having welding rods (covered with flux) you have a wire covered with flux - not really a mig. They work ok but not as well as a proper MIG - get one that runs gas - you no longer have to rent bottles as they can be purchased and and exchanged on a swap and go principle.

Garry
AnswerID: 607026

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:01

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:01
The other aspect to consider is the duty time of the welder - I have a small mig and a small inverter stick welder - both bought for lightweight work but from to time I need to do heavier work or bigger jobs which is a pain as they both need a rest for a while to cool down after doing a bit of heavier work - or extended welding.

No problem when doing light weight stuff bit when doing heavier stuff you can guarantee that the welder will shut down at a crucial time so when buying also look at the duty time it is able to maintain at various loads.
FollowupID: 876738

Follow Up By: Member - Rustygq - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 15:29

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 15:29
I agree. Dont stuff around with the gasless type or small ones that run the small spools of wire. Bite the bullet first up, a half decent one is about a grand or less and after the initial cost of buying a cylinder, its just swap and go then when you get the odd heavier job you'll have it covered. Migs are great and easy to weld with. I kept my stick welder when I changed over about 30 years ago cos I thought it would be handy but I sold it cos I never even looked like using it again. A bit of practice and you'll love it.
Rusty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 876744

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 12:29

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 12:29
Well, some people cannot justify the expense of large bottles that might take a year or two to empty...
Also gas wire is handy for outdoors use where the gas simply blows away.

Make sure you buy a machine that accepts both then you are covered for which ever way you want to go. I use both modes.
FollowupID: 876860

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 14:53

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 14:53
Buy a smaller bottle and then you only pay for the refill when it is needed.
FollowupID: 876868

Reply By: Danny C3 - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 16:55

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 16:55
G'day.
I'd definitely go with gas. Even Bunnings do the swap for all your gas. Well they do in Mildura. Buy your bottle and your away.
Cheers Danny
AnswerID: 607029

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 18:49

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 18:49
Actually at Bunnings you pay a $200 refundable deposit for the bottle plus $99.00 for the gas.
I rent the same size bottle from Supagas for $6.00 per month plus $60.00 for the gas.

FollowupID: 876712

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 18:49

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 18:49
Hi
The torch lead needs to be replaceable . Commonly called a " EURO TORCH "
A euro torch screws on . The others are semi permanent install and typically u can only purchase from the machine maker . Can be very expensive .
Check the price of a replacement trigger/gun with hose .

Mild steel wire is cheap in the larger size

With a non euro type u maybe restricted on wire size selection therefore costing more $$
A 180 amp is way more desirable reliable and resellable in a leading brand
AnswerID: 607033

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 20:06

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 20:06
On light guage I would recommend a 0.6 roll of wire.
0.9 is a pig on low amps with thin material.
0.6 is better.
the gun is much better the longer it is.
over 2mtrs would be a minimum.
uni mig make a cheap but ok for light stuff.
I would stick with a brand that has been around a long time.

chasing parts for a new brand can be expensive or not worth the hassle.

AnswerID: 607034

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 22:48

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 22:48
I like the Unimigs better too. Rossi strike me as being "cheap".

As said, get one with Euro fitting, and go for gas. Gasless produces an ordinary looking fillet.

You can get good quality hoses/handpieces to use readily available parts like nozzles & tips.

It's a completely different ball game to stick!!! You might need to some practice, lots of practice.

Good luck,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 876722

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 23:59

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016 at 23:59
If you are doing any sort of regular welding a propper mig with gas is the way to go.

If you are comming from stick as I did ..... serioulsy you won't know yourself.

The ability to just keep welding, weld over what you have just done immediately, the ability to adjust for pretty wide range of different thickness materials at the turn of a dial and none of that weld, chip, grind re-weld cycle....... OH hell the time saved is just fabulous ... and the weld quality even someone with moderate skill can produce is great. ... mig realy stands out on light material.

The gas deal has changed ........ the rent rip off duopoly is pretty much gone ...... yes you can buy ... for an infrequent welder that is the go.

don't worry too much about the long gun cable ....... chain up and put the bottle on a long hose, then the machine moves very easily.

I and about 4 of my friends have the combination machine ( mig/tig/stick) that tradetools sell ...either under the tradetools brand or with another badge. ...... the machine comes with a unimig badge at 30% more ..... its a great machine for a light user.

being able to do stick as well, is handy if you want to work on dirty metal.

serioulsy if you can come up with the extra $$ go with a gas MIG.

cheers
AnswerID: 607043

Follow Up By: ian.g - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:25

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:25
X 2 This is the way to go
FollowupID: 876735

Reply By: eaglefree - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:46

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:46

Agree with all the above. However for the financially strapped, a $150 eBay gasless might can be OK.

I used an arc for the bigger chassis welds and might gasless for the frame if thus very lightweight van. The frame was made with 13x13mm x1.6mm tube. I rarely put a hole in the tube with the gasless. Some joins had gussets and the van did a "lap" in winter thus year.
So gas is the way to go, gasless on a budget IMO
AnswerID: 607054

Reply By: 29 - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 13:12

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 13:12
Once again the opinions (and facts) expressed to my queries are very accurate, and as I hoped were told by those that have used this equipment, so thanks for taking the time to reply.
I intend to still go stick for all metal work unless the thickness is in the light sheet metal range when I want to use the Mig. I know, old habits die hard, but after 50 odd years of fabricating everything that moves, I still like the stick technology.
You all seem to go the gas mig which makes sense, but I think I will go the gas less with a torch and lead which can be changed to suit gas if down the track I convert to more Mig usage. My intended welding of light sheet metal will be more of a hobby usage and probably intermittent, but I do want the capability of welding this light gauge stuff when and if it comes up.
Plus the fact that my stick welder is now 54 years old and I couldn't bear to toss it !
Thanks once again for the advice.
BillM
AnswerID: 607055

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 12:36

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 12:36
Bill, there plenty of machines that support multiple modes of welding.
I have a Weldcorp unit that does Mig/Tig/MMA, also does gas or gasless and didn't cost a fortune.
Buy as many amps capability as you can afford. A good 200 amps will cover most things.
Do you want to weld aluminium? You need to add in AC/DC output capability as well then.
FollowupID: 876861

Sponsored Links