Van fridge not cooling.

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 17:57
ThreadID: 134014 Views:5820 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Any hints on fixing a Electrolux RM 2310 caravan fridge not getting cold, element heating up . van level , not run for three months, worked last test October, Test it every 3 months about. . do I have to remove and shake / roll over, or will a drive on rough road do it .
Thanks for any tips .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: swampy - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 20:24

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 at 20:24
hi
Have you checked operation on 12vdc ,240v ac ,gas .
Does the fridge perform badly on all 3 sources .????
Van level ??

Does the fridge receive full 12v or greater ??
12v element checked
240v receives this voltage or greater
240v element checked

Gas flu and jet checked for cleanliness must be spotless clean
Pressure at burner needs checking
AnswerID: 607069

Reply By: Robert E4 - Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 11:13

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 11:13
We had similar problem with our van fridge, and it ended up being the gas regulator..
Once a new regulator was put it started cooling correctly, we were told that the rubber in the regulator deteriorates and reduces the gas flow..
I am assuming its a three way fridge.
good luck..
AnswerID: 607078

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 11:51

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 11:51
Does the stove work properly as if the regulator is blocked it wont be going too well either
FollowupID: 876761

Follow Up By: Robert E4 - Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 12:15

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 12:15
Yes TomH, it was working ok, obviously was not blocked enough to stop things working , but not allowing enough for things to work as they should.
Having said that I remember the stove did work better after the regulator was changed, I assume it goes happening slowly and you don't notice the difference.
Cheers
FollowupID: 876762

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 14:58

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 14:58
a few years back there was a bad batch of gas hoses and regulators from china that were made out of rubber that the LPG was eating into and it was coming through like a grey powdery substance and causing restricted gas flow pressure and its possible you might have one of them buy a new reg and connecting hose not many customers were told about this it was kept quiet
buts its not what you know but who you know but I was told and was given an exchange for the faulty one
they actually returned the fautly ones back to were they came from
I couldn't get my fridge to work until I got a new reg and hose with no more problems since
cheers
FollowupID: 876902

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 15:51

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 15:51
As highlighted in another post the OP does not use it on gas and except early on, never has - I have suggested he try it on gas an see how it goes.
FollowupID: 876904

Reply By: DesF - Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 15:15

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 15:15
Hi Guy's,thanks for the prompt replies, but I mainly run it on 240v and on 12v only while travelling , we only stop in C/Van parks, usually only a couple of times a year for 3 or 4 weeks at a time..
I tried the gas when I bought the van (" Jayco Eagle" ) in 2001, it worked Ok , but have not used it since,
as I said I run it about every 3 months and has always been Ok. but this time no cold, I have a extra fan fitted to the vent and that is blowing warm air , so the element in heating up.
I am waiting till it is a bit cooler in the shed ( 48c on Xmas day ), so I can pull the covers off and check for a leaks or such,
Thanks again. I will update this when I have solved the problem.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 607081

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 16:57

Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 16:57
Well fire up the gas and see how you go - they are actually designed to run on gas with 240v and 12v as backup when gas is not available. If it does not run on gas then I would say that the various chemicals have separated out and need stirring up or have leaked.

If it runs on gas then there is clearly an issue with the 240v element.

Oh - if you were trying to run it in 48 degrees then with a 3 way you were flogging a dead horse.
FollowupID: 876768

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 07:00

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 07:00
If your fridge doesn't operate on 240V or gas, most likely it has lost its gas. You have 2 choices:
1 Get it regassed. Cost about $600 and no guarantees that it will not leak again. or
2 Replace the fridge.
I was in the same boat. I took the fridge out, upended it several times, but it still didn't work. Eventually I bought a new fridge. Cost about $1100 - OUCH! The new fridge, although the same model, had a door which is not flat on the outside face, and it now collides with the cubpoards, causing only a minor problem. But gee - the new fridge works 10 times better than the old one, even when that was new.
When I had the new fridge installed, I looked at the old one. I was told that when they fail there is a lot of yellow sulphur gunk on the outside of the coils. Nothing on mine. I removed the old heating elements (they are spares for the new fridge now) and only when I was stripping the whole unit did I see a small patch of yellow hidden under the insulation at the top of the heating elements. I suspect that the original fridge didn't have much of a charge in it because the new one is brilliant
AnswerID: 607101

Follow Up By: DesF - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 12:17

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 12:17
Hi, thanks . I tried it again last night when it was a bit cooler but no luck, the fins or the roof of the freezer are still room temp,
looks like it will have to come out, but have to get the van moved so I can get to the side to get the grills off for a look,
Will report findings ,Thanks .
FollowupID: 876793

Reply By: Jim G5 - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 21:34

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 21:34
Hi,
I have found the series of You Tube videos by Ford's RV Refrigeration to be extremely helpful in understanding the operation and repair of 3 way caravan fridges.
The link to video No. 1 is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIJYx5j2nPQ

Good luck,
AnswerID: 607120

Follow Up By: DesF - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 15:19

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 15:19
Hi ,Jim . Thanks , I have watched quite a few of those, and kept notes etc, I will give it the full roll over treatment , when I get it out,
Cheers .
FollowupID: 876812

Reply By: DesF - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 15:17

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 15:17
Well after half a days drama's , I checked all as advised , all the coils etc are really hot, to hot to leave hand on but nothing cold in the freezer ( top usually cold first ). so decided to pull it out , boy , was it a tight fit, finally got it out on the floor but in their wisdom Jayco has made the door hole smaller for split door by 50mm so it will not come out, I rolled it onto it back and a bit side to side, I could hear the fluid running around in the pipes , I thought , beauty, replace wiring and fire it up, but still nothing, So I will have to get some help to lift it over the doorway of the split door.
the sage continues,
Will up date in a few days.
AnswerID: 607130

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 18:21

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 18:21
Leave it upside down for a day and then on one side for a day and on the other side for a day then give it a good shake and put it back and see what happens.
FollowupID: 876814

Reply By: DesF - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 20:28

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 20:28
Hi Still no joy with the fridge , just a question? will it work when run out of the van, ( on the ground )the back tubing is getting really hot but still nothing inside, I have by passed the thermostat,
Do'es it need the convection of air over the top fins that it would get thru the 2 vents when installed ?,
Am going to try it on a gas from a bottle , finally found some connections. that's the next project.
Would buy a new one ( last resort) but they are slightly bigger all over , and this one is a real tight fit in the Jayco, I think they built it in when building the van.
Any way Thanks
Des.
AnswerID: 607299

Sponsored Links