new ranger A R B bullbar faulty/fit restricted bonnet latch access

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 29, 2016 at 23:49
ThreadID: 134021 Views:4386 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
my neighbour just took delivery of the latest Ranger fitted with an
A R B bull bar and we were about to fit an insect screen in behind the grille when he said open the bonnet
I pulled the release lever
and went around to lift the bonnet
but I couldn't get my hand down from the top to reach in under the bonnet to release lever
so then I tried from under the bar the bull bar is so close to the bonnet in the end i couldnt get my hand or finger in there
the owner then showed me with much difficulty that he could only just reach the bonnet latch with the very tip of his middle finger by forcing his hand hard inwardly up under the top bar
I then had a go and was really struggling to touch the latch this is a monumental stuff-up the center of the large top bar is right in close to were the bonnett splits and lifts from the body section
my question is has anyone else that owns the lastest ranger fitted with the A R B bar encountered this problem or is this a 1 off stuff up I told him to take it back but he has gone on holidays atm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 09:46

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 09:46
I would be on ARB's doorstep immediately and ask them. Don't stuff around asking Google and the forums. There is obviously a model or installation error. ARB's problem.

Phil
AnswerID: 607103

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 00:45

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 00:45
hi Phil
I wanted to find out if this fault has been experienced by any other ranger owners with a A R B bar that's why i'm asking on this forum that's what forums and google are for aren't they
cheers
FollowupID: 876807

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 08:11

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 08:11
I know that mate. Some people sit here and don't seem to do anything about.

I would class your problem as a major issue and thus needed immediate action. What would you do if there was smoke coming from the front? It may just be an animal that you hit but all you can do is walk away.

Even the RTA can't check the compliance plates so the car is parked on the side of the road outside Woop Woop with the kids screaming and the wife . . .Well safer not to go there.

I do understand okay! I wouldn't bother with asking myself.

Phil
FollowupID: 876809

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 11:31

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 11:31
You would maybe think it has not been fitted properly.
Rangers have been around for a while, not heard of this problem before.
It may just want to be positioned forward a bit more, the brackets are normally slotted.
AnswerID: 607111

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 13:45

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 13:45
I've been around a lot of 4WDs with various bars fitted, and accessing engine bay etc for repairs.
There are many that fit close to the bonnet, and makes access to safety catch quite difficult, a bit of awkward hand positioning to operate the latches.
I'd say this is one of those, but who knows, maybe check with ARB and see what they say.
It shouldn't be impossibly hard to open a bonnet.
AnswerID: 607114

Follow Up By: mountainman - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 17:33

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 17:33
The olde 3ltr navara d22 ?
Had the same issue
but not as close to the bonnet as the poster mentioned
FollowupID: 876801

Reply By: ian.g - Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 14:53

Friday, Dec 30, 2016 at 14:53
If the bar is that close to the bonnet I would hate to hit a roo or anything with it, would do more damage than the initial strike.
AnswerID: 607118

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 00:38

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 00:38
thanks everyone for the reply's
its not my ranger its my neighbours
I think maybe there might be a bit of give in the brackets/ bolts hopefully to allow it to be forced forward and yes I would not like to hit a roo or anything else with the top bar because it is only 20mls from the bonnet its suppose to be a protection bar not there to dent the bonnet
i'm 70yrs and have owned 6 4wds and had a lot to do with 4wds but never seen a bar so close like this one but its up to the owner and knowing him like I do he is just as likely to let it go as it is
I personelly would be back to A R B in a flash if it was mine
cheers and thanks have a happy new year
AnswerID: 607123

Reply By: gbc - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 09:05

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 09:05
I've got a Px with an ARB bar - the black winch compatible one with fog lights whatever model that is. I have no such issue. It would certainly be worth a call
To ARB.
AnswerID: 607125

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 10:05

Saturday, Dec 31, 2016 at 10:05
Just adding, mine on a PX, has 110mm between the leading edge of the bonnet and the back of the bar.
FollowupID: 876810

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 09:57

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 09:57
Hi Mazcan

It sure does not sound correct.

One thing that you have not said was who fitted the new bar?

We know it is an ARB bar, but did the car dealer fit the bar?

I am not trying to stick up for ARB, but they usually have good technicians that do this day in and out for a living and know what they are doing.

On the other hand, when ordering the new vehicle, he may have specified the ARB brand and to save money, the car dealer has fitted it? I have seen this type of thing before from a car dealer, and again they tried to put it back on the manufacturer of the supplied accessory, when in fact the chaps that fitted it at the dealership tried to cut costs (time) and it was shown that it was not fitted as per the instructions supplied.

Just my thoughts

Cheers and Happy New Year

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607167

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 13:24

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 13:24
The car dealer would not save money by having their own workshop fit after market accessories, the internal labour costs are booked out to the new car department at a higher rate than a local supplier would charge. The only bullbars a dealer would be likely to fit would be factory supplied original equipment. Same with tow bars, much cheaper to send to the local tow bar supplier than have the workshop fit them.

FollowupID: 876862

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 14:59

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 14:59
Hi Shaker

Sounds like your dealership must be an exception them.

Every dealer that I know here in South Australia supply and fit aftermarket accessories that the customer requires.

as for labour costs, you must have the highest paid technicians in Australia to say that. Most places will be charging at least at a minimum of $80 per hour and your techs would be getting around or less than $30 per hour.

It seems everytime I make a comment, you always try to shoot me down.

Let's see and wait just who did fit the new ARB bulbar, the car dealer or ARB.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876869

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 16:37

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 16:37
I think I have commented twice about your comments, only because you seem to think every dealer is rotten!

What mechanics are paid what the inter- departmental charges are, are entirely 2 different things. The new car dept manager will normally take whatever steps are required to make his dept as profitable as possible, if that means outsourcing labour for after market accessories, so be it.
FollowupID: 876870

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 17:22

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 17:22
Stephen, where I live, all the new 4wds no matter what the make go from the dealers to the different 4wd outlets to have the accessories fitted by them. They don't fit any accessories except the genuine oem ones.

It is far better for them to have them fitted by people who do that all the time and let their own mechanics work and ta's work on what they know. Of cause they get a cut from the 4wd suppliers. If you say got a quote from arb to have $20000 of accessories it would still only cost you that amount, arb then give the dealer a cut rate so he makes something out of the deal.

FollowupID: 876871

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 18:55

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 18:55
Hi Shaker,

Here we go again. You are again 100% wrong and I have never ever stated at any stage about car dealers being rotten, those are your thoughts only.

In one on my past jobs, it was in a new car dealership and I know how sales are processed and how dealers make their money.

Country dealer are very different from big city ones, as we live in a town where we see everyone each day, and must bring up an honest relationship. We would get our aftermarket accessories from places like TJM & ARB and were charged out as full workshop labour for the new car department, just as you stated.

It's just not possible to get the suppliers to do the work when you are hundreds of kilometres from their workshop when we had very capable techs that could do the job at a fraction of the price.

I am just being honest on how country dealers are run and not putting anyone down.

So if you have contact with country dealers, you would know first hand that their capable service departments are able, and do fit these aftermarket accessories.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876877

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 20:33

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 20:33
I was GM of a Jaguar, Rover Honda dealership in a small coastal town on the Mornington Peninsula for 8 years, so yes, I have had contact with country dealerships.
FollowupID: 876880

Follow Up By: ian.g - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 13:25

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 13:25
You would hardly call the Mornington Peninsular country, hell you can still see Melbourne from there and probably smell it as well.
FollowupID: 876899

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 14:36

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 14:36
hi and happy new year
dear oh dear what are you blokes on getting at one anothers throats so early in the year
the A R B accessories were fitted by the A R B outlet which is a stones throw from the ford dealers here
Bunbury is a city and not a country town
the owners previous ranger a 2008 model has a bulbar on it from ARB and the spacing is about 110mls like one other poster mentioned
I personally would get out my rattle gun and a spanner and very quickly undo and adjust the bar because most bars have play in the bolt holes and a small movement at the bottom brackets amounts to quiet a bit at the top where the problem is
but this is owned but a bloke that doesn't think like most
and so just to tap out if any one else have an ARB bar on the lastest ranger encountered this badly fitted bar on behalf of the owner i asked the question because of the valuable imfo that I know is on this site
thank you for thoughts and the imformative advice and knowledge given and chill out guys
FollowupID: 876901

Follow Up By: ian.g - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 18:13

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 18:13
I also live in a city, Brisbane. I was today in my local GMH dealership (I own a Colorado)(They are a multi franchise dealing in Holden, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Ford plus a couple of others, those who live in Brisbane will know who I'm talking about) and asked the new car manager what they do in regards to purchase and fitting of aftermarket accessories, his answer to this was, that they would purchase from the particular manufacturer and fit in house. The accessory would be charged at their wholesale price and fitted at their normal trade labour price. He explained that their labour is usually cheaper than the likes of ARB / TJM, Ironman ect. and these savings can make a large difference to the actual buy price of a new vehicle and has at times made the difference as to whether a sale is made or not, and as far as he is concerned the sale of a vehicle is paramount and the profit from add on's is secondary.
FollowupID: 876909

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 22:02

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 22:02
Hi Mazcan and Ian

First of all, thanks for giving the details where the bar was fitted, and it makes you wonder how the blunder happened and was not picked up after the job was complete.

Ian, thanks for your reply as well, as internal labour charges are always far cheaper than external labour charges and that was the point I was trying to get across.

What you said and were told by the dealer is the honest answer the the key to running a good dealership.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 876914

Sponsored Links