Vehicle mileage

Submitted: Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 21:41
ThreadID: 134036 Views:3538 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Happy New Year!
I am looking at changing vehicles in the next couple of months, it will be a second hand one. My question is what are acceptable levels of mileage these days? (Think TD 4wd)
When i bought my first 4wd ignorance was bliss, it had 316000km on it and i never had a problem with it. As my knowledge increased i always looked for low mileage vehicles. I grew up assuming 20000km per year was average.
When i look at advertised vehicles there are a high number where the average seems between 30000 - 50000km per year. I know myself i do around 30000km for work and play. The vehicle i am selling has done 170000km and is in great condition.
I know some may be flogged company vehicles but there are some which may be ex-grey nomad vehicles that have been doing laps of Oz!
If a good service history is present how high is too high? Is 200000km on a 4 year old vehicle too high?
I guess the follow up question is what do we expect the modern turbo diesels to do? Will they make 400000km?

Sorry long question TIA
Cheers
Ev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 23:08

Monday, Jan 02, 2017 at 23:08
Ev, I think this is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' type of questions.
Modern common rail diesels might last as long, but injectors and fuel pumps etc can need quite a bit of $$$ spent on them, and I don't think they will go for much more than say a couple of hundred k without needing this.
How well they've been looked after (servicing and types of trips done, off road, towing, etc, etc).
My 2010 Ranger has 132 k on it now, 5.5 years on the road.
I use it a bit around town, do lots of long drives interstate and love the desert trips.
Maybe the long runs, rather than short city trips, is better for the modern TD (I hope).
What was the vehicle you got 316 k out of trouble free ?
Good run if a TD and minimal problems.

Edit . . . and Happy 2017 to you too :)
AnswerID: 607178

Follow Up By: Evan 1 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 06:43

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 06:43
Hi Les
Thanks for your reply.......agree stringy question Lol.
A PJ ranger is one of the vehicles i am considering, is yours still going strong?

I purchased a vehicle with 316000 on the clock, thats where i was ignorant or naive i guess, didn't worry me. It was a V6 petrol Pajero, great truck and i added another 120000 to it then a couple bought and took it up the cape for work. It was all bog standard too.

Cheers
Ev
FollowupID: 876886

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 08:23

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 08:23
No worries Ev.
Yeah mine is still going great (auto trans), have a few engine mods though to keep it sweet, or at least prevent engine wear etc.
I have broken the output shaft from the transfer case to the front drive on a trip to the mid north, but that was a bit of user error, and an extreme hill !!
This looked defective in the casting, could see pits marks in the break.
Also have broken 2 torsion bar mounts (rear mounts each side) on 2 separate trips, but think both were fatigued on a north Simpson trip in May 2015.
One broke on a trip out of the Simpson out of the desert on that July, but made Mt Dare and repaired there (still going strong).
Another went June this year on Googs Tk while en route to Madigan, again north Simpson.
Before another north Simpson tip this coming June, I have new (2nd hand) rear mounts to reinforce with plates, so it will never happen again.
Other than that, I love the compact size for tracks, beaches, goes very well, econ excellent if careful, even loaded for a big desert trip, 220lt fuel, 80lt water, all the gear (couple of hundered kg under GVM still), it still gets well under 11lt/100km sitting on 95, or low 11s sitting on speed limits 100 / 110.
Tell you what Ev, I also bought a Pajero about 8 or 9 months ago, V6 3.0 petrol, NF wagon, manual, with 262k on it !!!
I've put 8k or so on it since purchase, great around town for small trips.
I love driving it, it's more fun to drive, so capable on tracks, best LSD I have ever seen.
Took it to Turon NSW and it excelled up gnarly little climbs where the Ranger would have needed a bit of left foot braking, and other dual cabs in the group were having 2, 3 goes, throwing it up out of creeks, the Pajero just walked them very much like locked Patrols / Cruisers.
Low end torque is nearly as good as the Ranger, which is saying something.
Sadly I can't keep 2 4WDs long term, will be selling it into the start of 2017.
A long story, it was a bit of an emotional purchase and so with my love of big drives, I have the Ranger set up well, so that is what I will stay with.
They are a great low cost 4WD though, managed 13lt/100 from it overall on the Turon trip, Adelaide - there, tracks, and back.
Anyway, hopefully you pick up a great vehicle whatever you choose, they all have their little quirks I guess, but I do find the Ranger brilliant for my needs.
The Mazdas in our group drives occasionally (be they PJ/K or PX equivalents), always seem to give better economy for some reason, maybe tune, I'm sure they run same engines.
FollowupID: 876890

Follow Up By: Evan 1 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 17:28

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 17:28
Yeah the Paj was a great truck and comfortable with suspension seats.
Sounds like you make good use of the ranger.
FollowupID: 876907

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 11:45

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 11:45
There are a lot of people, I include most of the auto trade that are obsessed with distance run.

Fact is ..... always was and always will be, condition IS everything.

Some people are toxic to vehicles others treat them very well.

Different vehicle makes are better or worse effected by distance run.

If the distance run has been done on highway, that is very different to the same distance done in town.

You simply can not rely in distance run.

You must and can only rely on condition.

cheers
AnswerID: 607190

Follow Up By: Evan 1 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 17:29
Thanks Bantam
FollowupID: 876908

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 12:26

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 12:26
Just wondering your current vehicle which we don't know the make of has 170,000 k and you are looking at purchasing something with higher mileage why and what type of vehicle are you specifically after.
AnswerID: 607192

Follow Up By: Evan 1 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 17:26

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 17:26
Hi Batt
My current vehicle is a 2010 Prado, great vehicle but for personal reasons i have to make some changes that mean i have to get a cheaper vehicle, most of which are a similar age or a bit older and most have high kms. It would be better if i could get something with 100000km on it rather than 170000km given i will put 30000km on it each year.

I am considering ford ranger and isuzu dmax at this stage 2007-12 variants.
FollowupID: 876906

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 22:00

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 22:00
Evan
I went the other way a few months ago. Traded a 2008 (early 2009 delivery) Ranger extra cab with 130,000km on a mid 2013 Prado with 83,000km.
It was easily the lowest mileage Prado I could find and as an ex-govt fleet car came with dual battery, on board compressor, drawers and a good service history.
the ute served me well, nothing broke or fell off (except the rubber pad on the sidestep on the Kalumburu Road) but I decided I needed some more comfort and dealing with the dust in the back just got a bit tiresome.
Good luck with the search
Rocco
FollowupID: 876913

Reply By: Paul E6 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 23:19

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2017 at 23:19
I wouldn't buy a 4y.o. car with 200k.
Wear n tear is still wear n tear. I've seen a car recently 2 y.o., worn armrests, worn gearshift, etc, looked like a 15 y.o. car.
Also had replaced engine and g.b.! Some people are just hard on cars.
One thing I always do now- stick my finger in the chassis rail to see how much mud/ gravel time its done. The above car (ranger) had about half an inch of it in the lower areas. A farm vehicle no doubt.
Why should I pay money for some cockeys neglect?
AnswerID: 607204

Reply By: swampy - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 12:17

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 12:17
hi
Adding life ---The only reason engines last longer is the fuel injection is not flooding /washing the cylinder bores .
Reducing life --- towing ,overheated engine and only doing the head [the rings loose tension ] , poor service history , egr issues

400,000 -500,000 kms treated well light duties
100,000-200,000kms if abused
AnswerID: 607217

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 01:42

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 01:42
I'm no mechanic but why are there so many high km carby fed vehicles still running around and some new vehicles and bikes, lawn mowers, chainsaws etc etc are still being made with a carby if they're that bad for an engine why are the still so popular.
A quality engine built and design from the factory is the most important thing to start with, keeping up maintenance schedules as well. Can't see why general towing would reduce engine life when they are apparently designed with that in mind from the factory hence towing capacity ratings unless you're constantly towing extremely heavy loads which may have some effect on engine life because it's always working a lot harder than usual.
Over the years I have worked at a couple of companies the high km carby fed utes both large falcons and 2wd hiluxes with 450,000 to well over 500,000km on them regularly serviced driven by different people all the time and loaded up with gear for working away on mine sites, quarries etc sometimes towing as well. I'm sure this is not a couple of isolated cases. I don't know if there is any truth in what you're saying about fuel injection but I know the simple less complex carby works fine in standard form it may be different when modified or it is changed out for a larger carby that pumps more fuel in.

You could maybe even say the reverse with fuel injection being so particular they have compromised reliability to a certain point in some circumstances. A bit of rubbish in the fuel would pass through the carby maybe cause a bit of a sputter or miss but the same rubbish may shut you down and possibly ruin fuel injectors if not filtered out and that's especially important on modern day diesels as people are finding out by quite regularly.
FollowupID: 876949

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 13:58

Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 13:58
There are many reasons why engines should be lasting longer and it is nothing to do with carbies.

The oils we use have improved considerably decade after decade ..... a lot of the bonafide oil additives of the past are now in the oils we use ...... even some of the older branded known oils have had formular upgrades.... that is before we start talking about synthetics and new oil blends.

The single biggest improvement has been the quality and accuracy of the machining in the engines.

Back in the 70's and 80's, one of the biggest performance / reliability improvements you could make was have your engine ballanced and blue printed, because the fit and finish of the engine parts was so poor.

Fuel injection has many advantages when properly implimented.
In addition to the performance improvements which are considerable, electronic fuel injection prevents many forms of engine abbuse.
It is simply impossible to over rev most modern engines, the engine control system simply wont allow it.
In petrol vehicles the Engine control system, controls timming and mixture, thus preventing overfueling, predetonation and to a certain extent overheating>

AND the biggest of all reasons engines should be lasting longer is ..... they are built by the Asians not the Americans( who intend them to wear out) or the British ( who simply have not improved their methods or equipment)

cheers
FollowupID: 877030

Reply By: Top End Az - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 17:04

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2017 at 17:04
I do10k a year in my TD Dmax, travelling 5km to work and 5km home and a few trips to the shops up the road, most of the time the engine barely getting upto temp (according to Ultragauge). Every 18 months I will do an interstate trip putting about 10k km on it in 4 weeks. So mine is 70k m now. Might look good on paper with the low kays but if I was buying I would rather a higher mileage car that has done more highway work and preferably not towing and less stop start miles on it.

All good suggestions above; be wary of ex farm/mining vehicles, check the chassis rails for dirt/mud/signs of frequest off roading. Ex-Govt Vehicles - having worked for the govt I don't think I would buy one but that depends on dept. to dept. Service records are vital.
AnswerID: 607221

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 17:23

Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 17:23
Best answer yet, engines have assembly tolerances to allow them to be at their optimum at normal operating temperature, the most wear time in an engine is while its warming up, which is why taxis get such amazing mileages, the worst car to buy would be the one owned by a little old lady that only drove 1km to the shop & back each day.

FollowupID: 877031

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 17:31

Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 17:31
Next worse to buy would be the Ex taxi A friend used to run various model Falcons and at least two of them didnt last long after being sold to private owners.

Seems they got used to being run hot and long and the change to cold to hot to cold upset them and they blew engines within 6 months.

Another guy had a Toyota ST150 ( not imported here) and he sold it at 700,000 and the engine hadnt been touched apart from things like plugs,belts, water pump and other peripherals.
Was on the road about 14 hours a day every day.
FollowupID: 877032

Reply By: mac3 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 20:42

Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 20:42
I repair photocopiers and I am often asked this question in my opinion if you keep shovelling money into them they will last forever. I have a motor mechanic mate and we share stories and he agrees. given a copier can cost $2k-$100k+ Similar to a vehicle Then it is up to you whether to service the old one or buy a new one. I have a 2004 Landcruiser Sahara with 360k, a 2005 BA Ford with 350k, a boat with 860 hours on the engine and a 40 year old caravan all going strong because they are serviced regularly. I neither agree nor disagree with my situation but at the moment I find no reason to change. The cruiser tows often and we have also done 3 major outback trips in the past 5 years.

AnswerID: 607323

Sponsored Links