Tom Groggin to Mt Pinnibar track

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 09:56
ThreadID: 134051 Views:3660 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has done this track recently. Looking at doing it in April in a standard 4WD Rodeo ie no lift kit or diff locks. I came through Tom Groggin track from Benamra a few years ago and the descent to Tom Groggin was fairly steep. Just wondering if the climb from Tom Groggin track to Mt Pinnibar is steeper?
Planning on going from Tom Groggin to Mt Pinnibar and then down to Benambra-Corryong Rd , any other sections that are likely to cause me problems?
Thanks
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 11:46

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 11:46
Apart from the creek crossing at Tom Groggin, you'll have no probs.
AnswerID: 607242

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 11:55

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 11:55
yeh just drop your tyre pressures a bit an all will be good
very nice bit of country
mechpete
AnswerID: 607244

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 15:57

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 15:57
Steve
We were in that part of the country in late March a couple of years ago as part of a small group. The leader, who has decades of experience in the Vic HC, could not get up the track from Tom Groggin in a Series 79 with twin diff locks as the track was too damaged - major washaways and loose rocks.
We therefore went to the top via the Mt Anderson track if I recall correctly.
So, as usual, it very much depends on the condition of the track at the time.
My suggestion would be to check with Parks Vic just before you leave for the trip.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 607246

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 20:32

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 20:32
A group from the NSW Range Rover club did mt Pinnibar last week and reported that there was no challenge as it had recently been graded and repaired.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 607248

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 22:07

Thursday, Jan 05, 2017 at 22:07
Steve
We did the Tom Groggin to Mt Pinnibar track and return in January 2016. At that time the exit from the Murray River at Tom Groggin was in reasonable condition. However, as mentioned in replies here it can be very challenging. What happens is that people do not lower their tyre pressures and do not stop to let water drain from their vehicle before attempting the exit. This of course lead to wheel spin and damage.
The track was in excellent condition but to get an idea of the steepness my wife's FitBit recorded some 7000 steps even though she did not exit the vehicle. Without a lift a little more caution is required but it is managable I believe.
The descent is more problematic. We had a storm pass over which dropped enough rain to turn the surface dust of the track to an "ice rink" like surface. As we were the last vehicle in the convoy it became quite challenging in places. At one point the car slid off the track. After chocking wheels and further lowering of tyre pressures we safely descended this difficult section. It was so slippery in the wheel ruts that you could not walk the track.
Overall we enjoyed the day out, however if it rains great care is needed!!!
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + Tvan Murranji

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607250

Reply By: Blown4by - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 00:36

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 00:36
I second what has been said about the track being slippery if wet. On some not particularly steep sections of the track from Benamra, before Tom Groggin, the surface is cambered toward the low side of the hills rather than the high side. Presumably this is to aid the escape of water. In the clay sections this can result in you slipping towards the outside edge of the track (thus going 'over the edge' if you were to slide off the track) My advice is to hug the high side of the track, keep 4WD engaged, use caution and don't look over the edge.
AnswerID: 607257

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 07:01

Friday, Jan 06, 2017 at 07:01
True. A few years ago I did the track and found a well set up Discovery stuck half way off the track. It had been washed sideways during a storm the previous night and was in a pretty precarious position. We pulled it back onto the track and all was good but it does illustrate how slippery it gets. If it's dry, it's a fairly easy, if steep, drive.
FollowupID: 876967

Reply By: Gundarooster - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:44

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:44
Mt Pinnibar Track was fixed last summer, it was ok at Easter, but don't try it if its been raining as the first climb out of Dogman's Hut can be treacherous.
Gazza
AnswerID: 607387

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)