100 series IFS problems.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 22:21
ThreadID: 13406 Views:1742 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
100 series owners wishing to reduce the risk of front diff fialure may be interested in a few comments on the design. Because the diff has the pinion at the top when driving forward the head of the pinion is suported by the the large front pinion bearing, but when in reverse the pinion is being pulled forward and is restrianed by the smaller bearing and the large washer and the pinion nut. The normal clearance between the crown wheel and pinion is about .1 mm if the pinion is allowed to move forward more than the clearance the gears can lock up and break the spool. I have looked at the nut and washer and believe they are the problem, if the washer distorts under the load the oil clearence is used up. The nut is very flimsey, and made from very poor steel. I believe that if the nut and washer were made as an intergral part like a flanged nut there would be more turns of thread to suport the load and if the steel was high tensile and scoth keyed chance of the pinion moving forward would be reduced. Now theres a market for somone with a NC lathe. Eric.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 22:48

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 22:48
Eric, with the rigid front ends, do they experiance the same problems as the IFS models.
AnswerID: 61446

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:10

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:10
Geez, an $80,000 car with a problem caused by saving 0.2c in manufacture. It's amazing isn't it...
I guess it comes down to the same old, don't by a new car if the model is also brand new. Wait a few years for them to sort out the problems. Just like the 3.0td patrols, great cars in series III but let's not even talk about series II.
Surfs were the same, the pre 1995 1kz-TE 3.0L TD motors used to sheer ideler bolts and cause the timing to go out in an interference motor (ouch nasty), that was the first of the 3.0LTD diesels, V6 Commodores, wasn't the VN as peice of crap, essentially the same motor in the VS and it's renound for being one of the strongest in the world, landcruisers and main bearings, the list goes on!
AnswerID: 61483

Sponsored Links