road conditions please towing a 24 ft van from Kiandra toTumbarumba

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 16:36
ThreadID: 134062 Views:4605 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we are hoping to travel this route end of January
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 17:15

Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 17:15
Good sealed roads. Obviously hilly and windy but if your tow vehicle is matched to your van you shouldn't have any worries. Trucks and buses use those roads. Make sure you down shift when going down hills, even an automatic.
If you made/make it to Kiandra no problems going further.
AnswerID: 607317

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 19:16

Saturday, Jan 07, 2017 at 19:16
The shortest way (and probably the easiest) is to go from Kiandra towards Cabramurra, and about 10 km before Cabra, the road forks. Left goes to Cabramurra. You can get coffee, snacks etc there at the shop, or you can get full (basic) meals at the Cafe 1488 (the old Snowy dining room). If you don't want to go to Cabra, take the right fork. From here it is steep downhill. Engage LOW GEAR and stay in it until you hit the bottom. The road is narrow and winding and steep. With a largish van behind, it is important to stay on your own side of the road. There is a public toilet at the entrance to the Tumut 2 underground power station. The road flattens out almost immediately after Tumut 2 access tunnel, but it is still narrow and winding. There are several one-lane bridges to cross as well.

Once you finally hit OHare's (the headwaters of Talbingo Dam), it is a moderate to steep climb back up out of the valley. Don't know what you are towing with, but I assume it is reasonably powerful. The climb winds around quite a bit but if you stay on your own side of the road you should have no problems. The uphill climb is at least on the cliff side of the road. When you get to the top, it is a moderate downhill run from there until you hit the Khancoban - Tumbarumba road and it is plain sailing from there on. Turn Right and it is only a few km to Tumba. Overall, it is a stunning drive.

Another option is to go the long way round - via Blowering Dam and Tumut. This has some very steep hills, both uphill and downhill, but apart from Blowering Dam, it isn't as pretty as the more direct run.
AnswerID: 607320

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 15:17

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 15:17
That is a great answer Erad. Thanks for the detailed information. I have often wondered about that road and now I know not to take it. A bit much for my rig, I think. We plan to go via Tumut. Have not yet been on the Tumut to Tumbarumba Road but love the drive Tumburumba to Corryong. Some great camping spots on that road.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 877055

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 15:36

Sunday, Jan 08, 2017 at 15:36
As the others have said, the road from the Cabramurra turn off to the top of the hill on the Elliot Way as you head for Tumba is very steep and winding. I have driven over it dozens of times with the last one about three months ago but I can't remember seeing any not suitable for caravan signs.

A phone call to Nat. Parks or the tourist centre in Tumba might be worthwhile.

If you decide against it then to avoid missing the scenery, you could leave the van in the Three Mile Dam camping area near Kiandra and do a one day loop through Tumba and back up Talbingo Mountain. At that time of the year you are very unlikely to be the only one in the camping area. There were four vans there when we stayed there three months ago.

You could then drive on to Tumba stopping at Paddy's River and Paddy's River Falls then into Tumba. Then go on towards Tumut and turn off into the pine forests somewhere near Laurel Hill and Batlow. The locals will tell you exactly where the turn off is. That will take you through good scenic forest roads and straight through to Talbingo. You can then go back to your van and take it down to Tumut and up to Tumbarumba.

While at Tumba, it is worth driving about ten ks out to the tiny historic Mc Micking family cemetery at Mannus where you will see a beautiful view down the Mannus Valley to Kosciusko. The mountain is about eighty ks away in a straight line. It won't be white at this time of the year but the view is still worth seeing.

Take the road to Wagga Wagga from Tumba for about three or four ks then turn left onto the Jingellic Road near the giant timber mill. Follow that road down through the pine forest then over Mannus Creek then up a long straight road to cross roads on the top of a hill. Turn left around the sheering sheds on the corner. Straight ahead about 800 metres on the left is a lone farm house and about two hundred metres past it is the cemetery on an elevated position on the right.

All around you is low security prison property. The property is about 3500 acres in two separate areas. The complex is clearly visible way down the hill in front of you.
AnswerID: 607352

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 17:48

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 17:48
Hi Des & Lynley,
I live approximately 1 hour 45 min SW of Tumbarumba & use that road 5-6 times a year on return trips to Lake Eucumbene towing a boat 1.3 Tonne boat / trailer combo.
Erads reply describes that section very well. As splits says, there are no signs stating not suitable for caravans.
You don’t say whether you wish to go to Tumbarumba, or are you using that section of road as a via point to access some place further west e.g. Hume H/way, Wagga, Albury?
Now for my two bobs worth. Yes you can take a large van down through that road although I consider that section of road is not really suitable for the “Faint hearted” or “inexperienced” whilst towing a large van. From the Cabramurra fork in the road the decent is approx 6 Kms long. Don’t be fooled by the gradient at the beginning as it gets steeper further down. The road surface is good, just very narrow & very steep with many blind corners & very few places that you can pull off the road if needed. Would I tow my van (2300Kg) home from Kiandra that way? No. If I wished to stop over at Tumbarumba, yes I would go that way.
The trip through there is very interesting with some great camp sites. Generally speaking there is not a lot of traffic on that road apart from holiday & long weekends. It’s very rare to see a truck in there apart from a road maintenance or Snowy Hydro vehicle. I have never seen a coach in there. The biggest danger I find is some yuppie in a very shiny SUV travelling at speed, they seem to be afraid of falling over the edge & stick to the centre of the road too much.
Should you wish to stop over anywhere in the Kosciuszko Nat park should purchase a pass. It may be too late for online but you should be able to purchase one in Cooma or Tumut pending where you are coming from.
Tumbarumba is very RV friendly with free camps at Paddys River, Henry Angel Track Head & Lake Manus although not a lot of shade at Manus Lake.
Good luck & enjoy your trip/stay whichever way you go.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 607400

Follow Up By: Des and Lynley - Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 18:37

Monday, Jan 09, 2017 at 18:37
Thanks for you great info. A friend was concerned if his Isuzu will cope. Thanks again all
FollowupID: 877105

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:54

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:54
I came from Tumba up to Cabra 2 days ago, and although I have a small van, a larger van would be no trouble as long as you are a confident tower. That road is no steeper than the Kiandra to Talbingo road so depends on what part of the snowies you want to access.
We pulled into 3 mile dam , but the march flies were as big as carrier pidgeons and had a savage bite, so we just had 2 great nights at long point hut campground.
Camping near Tumbarumba.......Henry Angel Flat.....miles better than Paddys Flat, which was crowded just like a van park and next to no shade.
Or camping down the road a bit......Jingellic...magic when the crowds are thinned out..
AnswerID: 607430

Sponsored Links