Fitting full length roof rack to high roof HJ61

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 00:55
ThreadID: 13409 Views:3325 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I've picked up a a full length aluminium roof rack with short legs to suit a standard roof Landcruiser, and want to fit it to my HJ61 with a high roof.

If I fit it so the rack is level, there is a large vertical gap at the front which looks dicky.

If I fit it so it slopes down to the front, trying to follow the contour of the roof, I'm wondering if it's going to look odd too - and a bit like a sprintcar! As if...
Also, if I slope it down to the front, I'm wondering about how stuff on the rack may work it's way forward/downhill.

Anyone with any words of wisdom?

Thanks
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:42

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:42
Tim,
It will have to be level,anything else is a waste of time, if it looks dicky, then so be it. Be wary also that once fitted it may be too high for many under cover carparks. Don't know if this will affect you but too late to find out when you hear the crunch on the roof. Hope this helps
Rolande
AnswerID: 61605

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:24

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 23:24
Thanks Rolande,

Looks like I'll have to put up with a dicky look. Tend to agree with your observations.

Clearance is an issue close to my heart - or head more likely! When I bought the Cruiser I knew it would fit under the garage main beam but hadn't figured on the tiltadoor sitting below the main beam across the opening. After contemplating a $1500 sectional lift door to clear the opening, I managed to lift the tiltadoor hinges by 35mm and move a strenthening bar from the base of the door to 200mm inside the door, thereby giving me an extra 25mm of valuable clearance when the door is open. Now the Cruiser fits under the tiltadoor by 15mm height wise and 70mm length wise. I sure need to make sure the door is ALL the way up before venturing in each time!!

So 'be wary' is indeed good advice. :-)

Tim
FollowupID: 323227

Follow Up By: rolande- Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 23:20

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 23:20
Tim,
This is only a suggestion, but it is what I found to be the best compromise in my situation. I fitted a set, (3) of commercial ROLA roof bars to the GU. (Substitute RHINO, THULE etc. if that suits). If you pick up a set cheap you can buy the mounts to attach to your vehicle for about $30 a pair. The bars come in 3 lengths. (3 on EBAY recently went for $100), they cost $414 new. You can mount them just above roof height and so may still be able to fit the 'cruiser into the garage, etc. Take the feet off the alu' rack and work a system to bolt them to the roof bars when needed. A friend has his hanging in the garage roof space and simply lowers on to the vehicle when he wants to use it, (ensuring enough height to get out! :) You may not wish to do this for various reasons, but as I mentioned, it was the best compromise for me. Good Luck
Rolande
FollowupID: 323315

Reply By: Tim HJ61 - Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 00:06

Sunday, Jun 06, 2004 at 00:06
Thanks for the idea Rolande.

I'd thought of something like this before when I was looking for a good solution to fixing the rack to the car. However I've bought some Aluminium checker plate and will get it welded to the roof rack and have L shaped plates to bolt it all into place over the gutter. Along with some bracing, it'll work just fine I'm sure. I was just pondering the alignment, hence my original post.

My major obstacle against leaving ANYTHING on the roof is the 15mm of clearance when driving in/out. Plenty of room once I get into the garage with high exposed beams, but that 15mm is a pretty restrictive problem!!

I sure take a deep breath each time I back in!

Regards
Tim
AnswerID: 61911

Sponsored Links