Binns track in May

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:32
ThreadID: 134096 Views:4189 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip north on the Binns, am contenplating running 50% worn Cooper ST Maxx tyres. My question is, should i be shot now or later after a few punctures, or am i being too pedantic?
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:12

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:12
We did part of the Binns track into Ruby Gap late August, was good road. Drove on bits of it further south, after rain, different story.. into Mt Dare was just water every where.. fantastic area! Wild flowers and mozzies everywhere.. cheers Odog .
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607497

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 16:05

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 16:05
Thank you for your photos, definitely worth taking at or mud tyres??
FollowupID: 877251

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 13:02

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 13:02
Hi Andrew,

While I have not travelled the whole Binns Track, I have used ST Max tyres through to 85,000kms. That included plenty of remote tracks while towing our camper, and would happily set off from home for most travels on ST Maxx that still have 50% tread left. Normal good tyre practices apply, otherwise you should be good.

Rgds,
Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607498

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 14:33

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 14:33
Definitely pack the tyre plug kit in case you do need it, but in general and driving to conditions, you are unlikely to have staking type issues if staying mostly on the road(s), and being careful pulling off to camp or take a break.
It might be prudent to take a second spare if you can manage it, but depends a bit on the whole trip picture, where you are going before and after Binns, and how much that might affect tyre issues / condition.
AnswerID: 607500

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 23:10

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 23:10
Hi Andrew

For complete peace of mind, stick a new set of rubber on and you should have a care free trip.

I personally never go bush with tyre that do not have at a minimum of 50% tread life left. Below that and you can be prone for all sorts of trouble and great chance of punctures,

That how we travel and advise any serious outback traveller to do the same.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607508

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 16:09

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 16:09
Thanks Stephen, I'm inclined to buy new for the trip just incase, by May the tyres on there will be older too.
FollowupID: 877252

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 18:00

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 18:00
Hi Dozer

Wise choice and it will give you peace of mind and one less thing to worry about.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 877257

Reply By: Member - nick b - Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 08:33

Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 08:33
G,Day Andrew :. I had the same thoughts recently when we did cape york 12,000 ks on 75% worn tyres on camper with NO flats .
50 % worn should give you 40, 50,000 ks left on your tyres , would you normally have many flats when on out back trips ?
aswel you wont be that far away from A/S , Tennant ck , presuming your tyres are a std size .
depending on the time of year i would have said half worn tyres on these road would be no worries
& isn't this why we buy the big brand tyres !!
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 607509

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 13:05

Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 13:05
You should not have a problem. Just make sure you pay attention to your tyre pressures.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607523

Reply By: splits - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 14:23

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 14:23
I have driven over similar tracks on both new and over 50% worn tyres and so far the only punctures have been in the new ones. They have been in the sidewall so tread condition did not come into it.

You never know what is going to happen in those conditions so you should be prepared for the worst. Being well prepared means taking with you a lot more than just a plug kit.

Have a look through this site. Punctures and Repairs

The whole tyre section is well worth reading. The third last link on "Season Tyre Reports and Tips" covers every puncture and how they fixed it. There are some very big holes there and anybody driving in those areas, or even on major unsealed roads like the Birdsville or Oodnadatta Tracks, could be unlucky enough to get one or more of them.

The worst place for them is off the side of the track when you stop for lunch or to camp overnight. That is like cross country driving without roads. There is often wood everywhere so I get out and remove as much as possible before going in. I either reverse out on the same wheel tracks or clear another area so I can turn around and get back onto the same tracks.
AnswerID: 607554

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 14:38

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 14:38
Thank you for that link, I remember getting a thorn in my 10 ply split rim tyre pulling into Tipaburra caravan park, the saving grace was the spare tube I carried, and my spare.
AnswerID: 607556

Sponsored Links