caravan cover

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 19:55
ThreadID: 134133 Views:4403 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, a friend of mine is about to accept delivery of a new New Age Manta Ray 19ft and asked me about a cover for it. I find it hard to believe that on signing a sales contract they wouldn't say would you like a cover with that, anyway they didn't. I told him if he bought one off the shelf and it didn't fit perfectly then it would either flap to pieces eventually or have endless amount of straps and tie downs to secure it. Does anyone know of any canvas/awning etc manufacturer who would make one. Here in Tassie the local outfit weren't interested, I suggest a sailmaker I have used before but surely there is a business in this continent that makes covers to suit particular models.
Thank you
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 20:42

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 20:42
Mac3,

I have an 18" Elite and use an Aldi model. Good design, well stitched and padded across the roof.

Plenty of tie down points, eyelets etc.

Cheap enough to replace every 2 years if needed.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607723

Reply By: TomH - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 21:50
The absolute best ones come from here
http://caravancovers.com.au/caravan/
But as you see there is a reason why the dealer wouldnt have included one of them
They arent cheap.
Resident where I live has one and its really impressive. (Its a hail cover)
In contrast another resident has the run of the mill Camec/Ebay model and it lasted about two years, the same as my two. They just disintegrate in the sunlight and fall to bits.
AnswerID: 607726

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 09:39

Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 09:39
Note that there are 'covers and covers'. The soft grey covers available widely (Prestige etc.) allow moisture to breath out, after rain....and they are easy on the paintwork too, if windy. The issue with them though, as mentioned above, is UV attack. In extended harsh sunlight, 18 months might be it ! (it was for mine; because I intend to have the van for a long time, I now have a colorbond car/caravan port :-). And re canvas....as also mentioned above, it's not a cheap fabric and you have to pay Aussie's to tailor it.....and if it moves in the wind, it will probably grind the paint off corners. Sigh.....so many questions in this vanning life.....
AnswerID: 607737

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:24

Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:24
I had a Prestige cover on our old van for about 18 months.

Firstly it was a PITA to put on and take off.

Secondly, after 18 months it had worn hole in it and damaged the paintwork where it had rubbed with the wind.

I believe you are better to give the van a good wash and polish every year or so and make certain you are covered for insurance should the van get hit by hail.

Other problems include heat buildup withing the van cause odours to permeate through the van from glues and plastic fittings, If you have solar panels, that will not work under the cover.

If you really want to cover the van, my suggestion would be to build a carport for it or put it under shade sales.
FollowupID: 877467

Reply By: mac3 - Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 19:32

Thursday, Jan 19, 2017 at 19:32
Great thanks, as usual loads of information I will pass it on to my friend. Many thanks.
AnswerID: 607768

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 21:07

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 21:07
Need to run a tape measure over the New Age van - the 19ft is internal dimension. Its likely that you will need the 20-22' size cover as I expect it will be about 21ft outside.
We have a 18-20 ft cover for our New Age MR16E and it fits perfectly. Get a cover with straps over the front and back and underneath so it doesn't flap and make sure all sharp edges (such as solar panels) are protected or rounded off.
AnswerID: 607822

Sponsored Links