The Bloomfield Track

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1343 Views:3347 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

Just wondering if anybody has been up the Bloomfield Track lately
towing an off road camper trailer.

I am told it can be dicey at times if towing a trailer - especially
if there is the slightest hint of "damp' around the place.

However this has been a particularly dry year so it might be OK

Any advice appreciated

regards

DennisN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Dennis,

There are 2 roads that run from Daintree to Bloomfield, one of them is the coastal road where you cross the ferry at Daintree and drive up through Cape Tribulation, this road would be no problem for a camper trailer. The other road is the infamous CREB track following the power line access road and is a fairly serious 4wd track once again provided it is dry and you are experienced it shouldn't be too much of a problem for a well set up camper trailer. ATM it is very dry up here but give me a call when you get up this way and I can let you know current conditions.

Cheers,
Rob Berrill
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
www.4wdtraining.com
4wdtraining@cairns.net.au
www.cedarparkresort.com.au
AnswerID: 4363

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 22, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the info Rob, I replied to you elsewhere
FollowupID: 1870

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00
HI Dennis Seems you're going where I've been ie Bloomfield Track and Lakefield NP to Chillagoe via Palmerville. We, in our Forrester found the Bloomfield Track the roughest of the many roads we went on during our 6200+K trip. This is not saying you couldn't do it ok but I would ask why? Up to Cape Trib is tar and good and the drive is "pretty". After Cape Trib the road was full of pot-holes and rough in many places also a couple of steep sections. There are no views of the coast and I found I didn't see much as the road needs 110% attention when driving. I believe the "main road" to Cooktown is tar except for 60k of good dirt road. I would go that way and have more time to enjoy Cooktown. For what it's worth Steve
AnswerID: 4381

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Steve, I think you will find that is the very reason most of us have 4wds, because we enjoy the challenge of rough tracks in beautiful scenic areas. A Forrester is an AWD car not a 4WD vehicle and maybe that is why you found even the simple easy 4wd tracks a challenge. Cheers Rob

FollowupID: 1880

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00
Further to the road from CapeTrib north. I regularly drive Arkarna 6 wheel tour coaches up that way when I am not training, for one of the tour companies. Yesterday just north of Cape Trib we saw a full grown cassowary and 2 chicks just off the road edge and they were there long enuff for my 13 passengers to all get out of the bus and get clear pix and videos. To cap this day off, while doing the madjah rainforest board walk on the way home that afternoon, we saw the biggest barramundi I have ever seen, free swimming in about 2 feet of muddy water where 2 creeks join together to form a large pool. Of course things like this don't happen every day yet to forsake this amazing part of the world to travel up the boring bitumen inland route to be able to spend more time in Cooktown???
Steve you are pulling my leg ..... right ???
FollowupID: 1899

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Dennis, Steve again. Putting 2 & 2 together I thought I'd let you know that Battle Camp road is OK- good or was 3 weeks ago. It is being graded at the "Laura" end and there are a few soft patches around there. It is much better than the Bloonfield Track and the road into Kalpower was good although I suspect there will be a few more corrugations in it by now. If you are going from Chillagoe to Mt Garnet or Mt Suprise the Ootan road is good. We went via the Mt Garnet Rd as I was lead to believe that the Mt Suprise Rd had one crossing with a bit of soft sand in it. Hope this helps someone. Steve
AnswerID: 4386

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

G'day Steve, thanks for the "newsie" replies - both to this question and my Kalpower question some time ago. Lots of info to digest. I don't mind the odd rough road [did quite a bit of that in the army] but I'm too bloody old for winching a 4WD and trailer to safety in muddy conditions. Heading north through the forest to Cooktown, then on up to Kalpower [thanks for the Battle Camp details] where am hoping to link up with some of the vets "camped" in the area :). Maybe I will take a look at Bathurst Bay before dong an about turn - heading to Chillagoe - and then across the base of the gulf into the territory. Thanks for the info mate. Enjoy the bush
FollowupID: 1879

Sponsored Links