Mud Flaps for Toyota or Van

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:27
ThreadID: 134301 Views:5758 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, Recently we were towing the caravan on what I considered to be a fairly rough stony road. We copped a stone from the rear wheels of our Prado straight through the van luggage compartment. It has had me thinking about installing large rear mud flaps to the vehicle or one of those stone protectors that are fitted to the A frame of the van. It's easier for me to install mud flaps. Any suggestions would be really appreciated John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:44

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:44
Search for "Rock Tamers" on Google!
AnswerID: 608595

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:54

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:54
Just be aware that installing heavy fullwidth mudflaps can cause your rear axle and diff to heat up. I put a full width rubber mudflap on my 100 ser and on a not very hot day the rear tyres heated up by about 25 above ambient. Took it off and temps went back to normal. Have read of diffs being cooked by doing this.
It did have a small gap with mesh in the middle as well. Was fixed fairly close to the rear of the tyres so the Rocktamers on the towbar may be better Also if its long enough when not towing it will be too long when hitched and may well drag and throw up more stones. The one under the A frame is probably the best.
AnswerID: 608596

Reply By: Member - peter h (SA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:08

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:08
Hi
I have rock tamers on and now find van has no more stone chips to front. They at least give you the choice of using them or not. Easy to put on or take off
Peter
AnswerID: 608597

Reply By: Member - Rustygq - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:37

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:37
I put a couple of truck mudflaps on a bar that I can bolt / unbolt on the back of my truck. minimal cost compared to rock tamers.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 608598

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:06

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:06
Wonder about the overhang of the flaps at sides - ever been chatted to by a sworn officer or transport inspector about it ?

FollowupID: 878381

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 23:35

Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 23:35
Yeah they do look a bit wide there will be a legal limit in place for modified items protruding out wider than the width of the vehicle. I wonder how things would go if a pedestrian cracked their shin on it or it was determined as to have contributed to an accident with another vehicle or motor bike or cycle.

Other than the width issue they look ok.
FollowupID: 878406

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 14:21

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 14:21
Hi John

I can thoroughly recommend Stone Stomper stone guards from Christian in Adelaide.

Takes only seconds to take on and off, keeps dust off the back window of your vehicle and will protect your van.

Christian can tailer make to suite your car and van combo and he is a small Aussie business and not something that is imported from overseas.

We tried Rock Tamers first, took quite some time to put together and trim the flats to the correct size, but know where as good as the Stone Stomper. Going through large washouts and you think the Rock Tamers are going to break, not so with the Stone Stomper.

Support a local South Aussies family man and business and not some multi national company that imports a product from overseas.

Yes I am one very satisfied Stone Stomper customer and will always promote any top quality.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608604

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 20:36

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 20:36
Stone Stomper........the only product to stop 99% of stones hitting the front of a van or the back window of the 4wd !!
FollowupID: 878372

Follow Up By: Outback Epicurean - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:27

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:27
Agree Stone Stomper much better than RT. Had RT and replaced with SS as i found stones hit the RT, deflected to road then bounced up onto trailer. SS stops anything hitting trailer. Only limitation with SS is that can't handle mud as it sticks to mesh and the weight pulls it too low and can.then be damaged.
FollowupID: 878380

Reply By: Dean K3 - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:30

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:30
Had similar issues towing folks camper but didn't have any holes just destroyed the spare wheel vinyl cover and reflectors on front wall (constructed aluminum tread plate cladding so fairly robust)

Bloke i came across at landor (sparkie for race meet) had a 150 series prado with a eldros caravan. I think pics say it better than my words - if you have a slip in hitch this is easiest method

ll go down a similar route for mine -when i get around to doing these little projects

AnswerID: 608641

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Monday, Feb 20, 2017 at 05:16

Monday, Feb 20, 2017 at 05:16
I had a similar setup to what as shown here on my cruiser ute.
The "A" frame, gas bottles and the checker plate on the front of the van got knocked about really bad.
What did surprise me was the amount of stones that collected on the mesh between the "A" frame.

If I turned my mirrors down I could actually see the rocks going under the mud flaps when driving along and bouncing off the front of the van. I blamed the tread on the tires, for as that got less so did the stone throwing.
I must say they did stop a lot as well for the bottoms of them were knocked about a fair bit.

My next trip I am ditching my van and getting a camper trailer so I can do more dirt roads and will definitely giving the stone stomper a try and hope they solve my problem.

Cheers
FollowupID: 878440

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2017 at 09:16

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2017 at 09:16
This is another vote for Stone Stomper. It protects the van and the tug and doesn't flick stones at other traffic. It is easy to use. Ours is still in excellent condition after thousands of k's rough gravel roads. As for mud - we have had no trouble on really wet dirt roads. As roads are usually closed these days if they get very muddy we haven't tried to test it in serious mud. We would probably be bogged before the SS gave way! Lynne
AnswerID: 608787

Sponsored Links