Photo indexing

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:19
ThreadID: 134302 Views:3713 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning,

I am in awe of the forumites who seem to find a relevant photo in seemingly minutes of a subject/place coming up on the forum.

To those that seem to work magic on locating these photos, what system, process or program do you use.

I have photos spread over different computers, tablets and hard drives and I need to sort these out and to be able to search the correct photos.

Also how do you back up all the photos so that you don't lose them in the event of a crash.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 13:06

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 13:06
I have 300GB of videos and photos and all are in a Folder called (believe or not) Videos and photos.
Within that folder are other folders of each trip with its own name.
Within each trip are folders of each days photos and videos which can be referenced back to our trip diary
The root folder is duplicated across 3 Ext HDDS
For just randoms they are in C:/ Documents/ My Pictures.

When travelling we backed up each day onto 2 portable HDD's kept in separate suitcases
AnswerID: 608601

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:30

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:30
I use a similar system. My tree of folders is arranged first in years and the next step in in months. I store my photos in the folder for the month they were taken. I have all the originals in that tree and the ones i process I file in a separate tree. That way I can use any photo editor I like to edit the photos.

I keep my photos in a separate drive partition and this partition is duplicated across two computers and a couple of external drives. One drive lives in the house and the other in the van. By keeping the photos in a separate drive I do not have to reconstruct that bit of the computer if the operating system plays up and I have to Format C/.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 878379

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 13:30

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 13:30
https://www.qnap.com/solution/mac-users/en/

I have had one of these devices for about six years now.
I wirelessly backs the whole benchtop hard drive every evening automatically. It has two hard drives equalling 4 terabytes.
One drive is for photos and important docs and the other does the hard drive of the computer.
Last year I picked up a virus from a non genuine Australia Post email that locked up every PDF on my machine.
The virus developer held me to ransome with a code to unlock if I paid up.
If I had not had a qnap I would have lost a lot.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 608602

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 14:15

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 14:15
In terms of photo management/indexing of our own photos we have always used Picassa. It stores photos into collections and albums and auto-indexes by date and has various search options to allow you to quickly retrieve. One such option is to search by tags but of course you have to add the tags to the pics as you store them. I have way too many photos to bother tagging all, but I know the type of photos that are worth tagging so there are some that get tag on the way in. I am thankful when I need to quickly find a pic.

However, if I need a pic and know I don't have it in my library - I have membership to some online royalty free libraries. The royalty free bit means you can use without attribution, however the service requires a fee per image to download - usually you sign up and pay for a set number of credits then select pics based on credits. Note that using Google image search will also bring up lots of pics that might suit your needs but copyright protection is always implied even if there is no watermark. Google indexes images from pages. You must open the page - and if a creative commons or royalty free statement is not clear then the pic must be assumed to be copyright protected. Many people blatantly just reuse pics from via a Google image search so perhaps don't realise these legalities and of course the social media world is alive with image sharing so the whole copyright issue has been somewhat diluted in the minds of the public but the rules have not changed.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 608603

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 15:40

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 15:40
If you want to get serious and also have an excellent photo editing tool you can't go past Lightroom and these days the price is coming down to affordable levels.
As Michelle says Picasa is a good free tool, unfortunately it's not as user friendly as it used to be and now has more storage capacity restrictions.

I also use external hard drives to back up my photos.

Cheers
Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 608606

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 16:23

Thursday, Feb 16, 2017 at 16:23
Being an Apple User I just use iPhoto...

Regards, Baz
AnswerID: 608608

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 20:45

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 20:45
Hello

"iPhoto" has been replaced by "Photos". Don't think iPhoto is available any more in app store. Apparently the new app is not as good but dont have a Mac so dont know .

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 878387

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 10:24

Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 10:24
Yep, that would be the one I use...

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 878392

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 00:06

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 00:06
When my sister had a Dell laptop, she could tag photos with multiple tags, eg Bridge, River, Victoria, for easy retrieval.

I keep mine in folders by date of trip, with each long trip having sub folders for photos a a specific area. This is just using Windows Explorer. So if I want a photo of for example Lawn Hill, I go to 2009 trip and the folder Qld border to Lawn Hill.

This is very simple to retrieve travel photos quickly, but not so easy to retrieve if I wanted to look at all my photos of bridges - I have to remember where I took photos of bridges. That is where a programme with tagging function would help.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 608625

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:18

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:18
Same as others above. All photos managed by Picassa and the network backup is with Seagate Benchtop. All photos are in subject based named folders starting with F:/Photos as the top level with many levels of folders under it. Each folder name showing the photo category underneath it. No discrimination between photos and videos.

I recommend that you use Picassa and start naming photos and videos as you put them on the computer. This is one job worth doing and worth doing properly.
We don't use the cloud. The main backup disk is in a fireproof safe and well hidden in case of theft or fire. If needed I share on Photobucket.com (see vk1dx). I couldn't go through this again. Luckily I started with my first computer.

Edit: All photos are named giving an insight to the subject matter. I have also scanned family photos going back to the 1800's. eg the one below is of my great great great uncle James (Jemmy) Tyson.

Phil

AnswerID: 608630

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:49

Friday, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:49
Thank you every one for your suggestions.

I am at the moment putting most of my photos into correctly named folders.
I had totally forgotten about Picassa, I did have that on a earlier computer so have downloaded it onto the current computer and am using it now.

I will have to sort out a back up method now.

This is a work in progress, but I'm on holidays at the moment and since its a bit warm I will stay indoors and spend some time on this project.

William

Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

AnswerID: 608638

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 09:09

Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 09:09
We were recently hit with ransomware, I had 2T of bird photos encrypted, Google drive encrypted, and other computers on the same network done over as well
The problem is that these viruses can move to any share at all, and they work very quickly. Ours came in on a power bill. If your computer can see the drive, then so can the virus.

I dont know, but suspect strongly that any cloud storage is accessible through shares, our Google drive was hit in seconds because our computers could "see" that drive.

I had 2 x NAS drives (network available storage?" with all my photos on, Netgear 12 T devices, and because I had a mapped drive to them, they were both hit.
Interesting thing is that these devices also do an "off network" image backup as an automatic function. It was this backup that saved our bacon.
We restored from the backup and didnt contqact the hackers.

Since then, I have purchased another NAS to store the "offline" images so we are away again, but as I speak, I bet there are lots of people out there figuring out how to break into these "offline" type of backups.
This is a bit of a commercial solution, but sorry, I just dont trust anything in the cloud after what happened to us. So Google Drive, Picassa, Icloud, no, not for me. Off line storage is, for me , the only way to go
Jim
AnswerID: 608660

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 14:19

Saturday, Feb 18, 2017 at 14:19
Periodically taking a backup to somewhere offsite can also save you some grief.
AnswerID: 608666

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 08:45

Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 08:45
Well, I have taken thousands of photos and the digital ones are in the computer - somewhere.

As we never look at them it doesn't matter where they are, does it?

The older ones are in albums, but where the albums are is anyone's guess.

Paul
AnswerID: 608691

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 08:49

Sunday, Feb 19, 2017 at 08:49
-
Now there's someone who really knows what's important in life.
lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 878411

Sponsored Links